Media Server

G-Stress

Looking for a solution to stream my home music collection to my phone, or any other device. I really like subsonic, but in the android market the app is only a trial. I'm looking for a free solution. I wonder if maybe VLC this will work nicely over 3G. Subsonic was sweet I didn't have any issues it's just a trial app. I saw a few other's, icecast, tversity, etc. but all the apps were pay for apps in the market.

I'm looking for a way to do this that will work with in the iWorld and Android world even if no app is required, if I can do this by launching the mobile browser and logging in, but after using subsonic and how it categorized everything so nicely and I had no issues that would be preferred. I just installed homedj app, but I'm tired, I been playing with Jinzora again for about an hour and been having issues left and right so I'm looking for something else.

Curious what you guys use and your setups.

Thanks.

Is subsonic a trial? I thought only the hostname usage was trial and after that you'd have to use an IP to connect. That can easily be solved with a Dynamic DNS Server such as No-Ip, which is what I use for mine. Functions great on my end.

@ Radau,

The subsonic server side has trial feature's, but streaming the music is free. The android app is trial to use it. It will let you connect after trial has expired, but you have to donate in order to stream anything. My main issue with that is, I have a hand full of friends and family member's that would use the service too and they would all have to donate.

@ Raziel,

Google music would be nice if worked from home. That's just like Plex Media Server. Jinzora is pretty sweet, but I've had nothing but issues trying to get it setup just right and not much help in the support forums.

I did a quick search as I'm interested in the same concept and found "streeme". I haven't tried this yet myself but intend to in the future!

Linky:

http://code.google.com/p/streeme/

Edit: I now have it installed and running on my internal network and it's working great for me! It also works quite well on my ipod touch 4th gen! The cloudfusion step appears to be optional considering I did not create an AWS account during the process.

Edited by RWING

@ RWING,

This does look like exactly what I'm looking for, I didn't see an app in the app store for android, but I'm guessing I can access it through the mobile browser. I just might check this out, because I need something that works cross-platform, e.g. idevices and android.

Have you tested over 3G to see how good it works?

Sadly I don't actually have 3G to test it with but I noticed that the software can be configured to transcode audio files to a lower bit-rate if needed. I also don't have an android device handy. When I loaded it on my ipod touch I just went to my media server's local ip and it loaded and played music in the browser!

Sweet! As long as it works with android and idevices I'm good. I didn't see an app in the app store for android, but if you can just login through the mobile browser and access the music that works for me :) I'll install it and check it out tomorrow when I got time.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...