Bricked My Mark Iv

WiK

Pineapple Hardware Version Mark IV

Pineapple Software Version : 1.0.2

OS used to connect to the pineapple: Backtrack 5

Network layout of how your setup is connected (including IP information):

* 172.16.1.117 (dhcp home wifi)

* 172.16.42.199 (dhcp int eth0 from mark iv)

All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: STD as shipped

Ping results from computer to pineapple: Worked fine

Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No): Unknown

Steps taken which created the problem:

1. Downloaded the lastest upgrade.bin and tried to update via webpage. after 30 mins nothing happened. After the reboot it showed the original version.

2. scp'd upgrade.bin to /tmp on the device and ran the manual flash process. Once the deviced rebooted the WIFI never came back up and could not get an ip address from device.

Can you post the MD5 hash of your upgrade.bin that you used? Not the one from the DL page, but the one you generate from your file.

md5sum ~/upgrade.bin

4c476e1072b188c2b009d5c8f996faf2

Hmm, MD5 seems to match so not really sure. Easy fix is to get a TTL/UART cable that does 3.3V and flash that way. I don't really know what could have happened. My MD5 sum is actually different and I'm not sure why. I will try to flash with my version of 1.0.2 and see if it works.

Wait... I was looking at the wrong file. Please wait...

4c476e1072b188c2b009d5c8f996faf2 is the correct MD5 hash for 1.1.1

let me try flash from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 and see if that works.

I went from firmware 1.0.2 and flashed with 1.1.1 via webgui and all seems to be working. It takes a bit to actually get connected via the browser (new tab).

All I can suggest is purchase a USB-TTL adapter cable and I can walk you through it, you can watch the video I made, or follow the text instructions.

Hmm, MD5 seems to match so not really sure. Easy fix is to get a TTL/UART cable that does 3.3V and flash that way. I don't really know what could have happened. My MD5 sum is actually different and I'm not sure why. I will try to flash with my version of 1.0.2 and see if it works.

I went from firmware 1.0.2 and flashed with 1.1.1 via webgui and all seems to be working. It takes a bit to actually get connected via the browser (new tab).

All I can suggest is purchase a USB-TTL adapter cable and I can walk you through it, you can watch the video I made, or follow the text instructions.

I've ordered a cable from amazon, I thought I had one but its 5v. I never have any luck flashing anything, I should have known better, but i wanted the latest and greatest.

I wouldn't mind checking out that video Nice I'm gonna get into it just found the video, I'm gonna go search for that USB TTL/UART cable right now, I like the USB part about it. Curious I seen a link to this one on these forums I believe Developer Kit for Hornet-UB: Console cable & console board If this one will work can a cable like this one help me usb to serial. Any kind of links to some reads on tftp servers would be cool I started yesterday to look into it.

Edited by dang

You can use any USB to TTL/UART that does 3.3v (Some do both). I personally have the Alfa Console Board, and a USB to Serial to use with it for my laptop. The beginning of my video shows how it's all connected. (Video link under pineapple in the sig, MK4 Clean Flash - Serial)

I have this one and it works flawless, can operate at 3.3V and 5V.

USB to UART TTL 6pin serial converter with the new CP2102 chipset

Good simple free TFTP server

Your USB-to-Serial link probably operates at 12V (RS-232) and that won't work, because you need UART voltage levels. See this thread for a nice discussion about the difference. ;)

@Mr-Protocol thanks for that video as soon as my usb to serial cable came in this morning it was a snap.

Good luck to anyone else flashing.

Glad to hear, I tried to make it as detailed as I could without being a complete spoon feed :P. Linked all the tools I used in the description, did some time snipping, etc. Took about 2 hours to make and edit.

Pineapple Software Version : 1.1.1

OS used to connect to the pineapple: Mac OS X 10.7.3

* 1 (dhcp home wifi)

All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: STD as shipped

Ping results from computer to pineapple: Worked fine, before I screwed up the network settings.

Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No): Totally

1. I was trying to get tethering to work with a Mac, per reply #20 here: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25293

2. Reading that gave me the bright idea to ssh into the Pineapple and change the network settings. I did. Now I can't even ping the pineapple over WiFi or Ethernet.

Is there any way to fix this thing? Can I flash it via USB key or something?

Pineapple Software Version : 1.1.1

OS used to connect to the pineapple: Mac OS X 10.7.3

* 1 (dhcp home wifi)

Ping results from computer to pineapple: Worked fine, before I screwed up the network settings.

Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No): Totally

1. I was trying to get tethering to work with a Mac, per reply #20 here: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25293

2. Reading that gave me the bright idea to ssh into the Pineapple and change the network settings. I did. Now I can't even ping the pineapple over WiFi or Ethernet.

Is there any way to fix this thing? Can I flash it via USB key or something?

There is a reset button on the bottom of the pineapple.

Hold that down for 8 seconds.

If successful you will notice the pineapple rebooting.

This resets all your wifi / network / other configuration files.

If that does not work, then you have a brick and will need a serial cable to fix it.

Glad to hear, I tried to make it as detailed as I could without being a complete spoon feed :P. Linked all the tools I used in the description, did some time snipping, etc. Took about 2 hours to make and edit.

Yep you did a great job.

The only thing I seen that was weird was when trying to use winscp, there would be a couple of retrys while coping the files over but that was it.