Hmpf, Plz Give Me A Hand

LynnK

Hello,

i've got some problems with my pineapple. I can connect to it, but i can't config it for my use. I use Mac OS X 10.7.2 and think, that wp3.sh should work, but it didn't run correct. With Backtrack5 VMWare Image, i can use wp3.sh, but don't know, how do config it right. Can someone give me a hand? I use the following network configuration under OS X.

Wifi:

IP: 192.168.200.115

Sub: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.200.1

DNS: 192.168.200.1

If i want to use the pineapple Mark III with OS X 10.7.2 and this network settings, with information have i to use with wp3.sh?

Is it possible to run the setup script on another pc, to use the pineapple with my MacBook?

Why does the wp3.sh break after question 4 in the script? Is this an OS X problem?

The wp3.sh wont work with OSX, because it is Linux exclusive.

What you will have to do is to connect the Pineapple to your Ethernet Port making sure the port is set to the right IP Range to communicate with the Pineapple.

Then you should go to your Mac's Systemconfiguration under Sharing -> Internet Sharing and configure so that the pineapple is able to Route traffic to the Internet.

You can test this with a simple Ping from the Pineapples console.

That should it be, althought i haven't tested it because i use the Pineapple together with a MSI Wind and not with my MacBook.

@Mr-Protocol... i can´t go online with my laptop and with to the pineapple connected clients. if i cut the connection to the pineapple, internet on wifi works fine.

i try to shut down little snitch and the osx firewall, but it also won't work.

the first time i use the pineapple, i recieved every time wrong ip´s. i don´t get 172.14.16.xxx, i get 192.168.2.xxx. so i flash the current firmware and everything seems to be ok. now i can connect to the pineapple - my next problem is, to get it run under mac os x 10.7.2.

@darkside40 that would be a great help for me and i will be very pleased for this.

Ok, well, this is my configuration for my Wi-Fi, that is connecting to my Router/Internet:

IP: 192.168.200.115

Router/Gate: 192.168.200.1

DNS: 192.168.200.1

For the Pineapple i use this static configuration:

IP: 172.16.42.42

Router/Gate: blank

DNS: 8.8.8.8

In OS X, i share the Wi-Fi connection through LAN. This should be a notice for darkside40 .

I find out, that the OS X firewall/little snitch stop some connection, so i turn them off.

I can connect to the pineapple with 172.16.42.1/pineapple. Now i can open websites too.

I try to connect my iPhone to wireless network. Now i can see some old AP i used in past. If i will connect to some of this displayed networks, my iPhone give me a connection error. On the Status-Page of the pineapple, i can see the MAC of my iPhone, but it doesn't connect. Also... i try to use the pineapple tools to send a ping to google.com. The result is a blank black page, with the pineapple logo on the right. Nothing more. If the connection is fine, i should do here a ping, or not?

Also, i try to use a noter Mac and Laptop to connect to a known Wi-Fi AP, but this Clients connect to fast to the 'real' AP an don't use a connection over the pineapple.

looks to me

IP: 172.16.42.42

Router/Gate: blank

should change Router/Gate to 172.16.42.1

insted of blank

Nope, needs to be blank.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-drd3d9Il9_A/Tw-OTlMyKFI/AAAAAAAAC7M/1r_qTh5vGCU/s1024/pineapple.jpg

!!! If you make any changes to your network settings, you have to go to sharing and re-enable it. Any changes turns it off. At least that's how it works in 10.6. I can't run 10.7 on anything, my shit is too old.

Edited by barry99705

Thx @barry99705 for the screenshot - looks like my settings. Can you shoot some screens of your LAN/WLAN and sharing Setup!? So i could be sure that everything is set correctly and the fault really look elsewhere.

Sure. I'll edit this post tonight when I get home. Your settings look right, make sure your sharing prefs look like this, turned on of course...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SaqY-W-iKdM/TxCybPDzvrI/AAAAAAAAC80/erl8cLPbM1E/s1024/inetshar.jpg

Edited by barry99705

Thx @barry99705! I#ve got the same settings. :( Ok, there must be another reason. Why can't i send out a ping via the pineapple?! I try to turn off the routers firewall and will see whats happens. Thx 4 help!

Try setting your laptop's dns to google, 8.8.8.8. Like I said I'm not sure what they changed in Lion, the "laptop" I'm using for the demo pictures is really just the mobo stuck to the back of the display. I use it as a digital picture frame. It's a single core intel, so the Lion installer refuses that one. My other macbook will install Lion, but the fan runs at 100% all the time, so I went back to snow leopard.

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish I could help. I wanted to include a Mac tutorial in the quick start guide but to be honest I've never used a mac for any substantial period of time. Even when I did as a sysadmin it was mainly in the terminal.

I'm picking up a used macbook pro today and will try ICS and maybe even a modify the wp3/1script2rulethemall.sh to work on snow leopard and then lion. I will report back here so stay tuned!

telot

Found this on the Apple support forum.

"Internet Sharing is not configurable. At all. It always creates a network in the 10.0.2.0/24 block and routes it to 192.168.1.0/24."

So here's how I just got it to work...

Set your ethernet to the normal 172 address, and log into the pineapple.

Go to configuration, and change the pineapple's ip address to 192.168.2.254, and the gateway to 192.168.2.1, hit update and reboot the pineapple.

Now go back to the mac's ethernet settings and change it to 192.168.2.1, netmask to 255.255.255.0, and gateway to whatever ip address your wifi or whatever you are sharing to, mine is wifi, which is 192.168.1.133. Set a dns of your choice, I'm using google's 8.8.8.8.

Pings from the pineapple don't work, but I get the internets from my laptop connected to "bobsfreewifi"... :rolleyes:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bMzue73P7sM/Ty1hRLDA3wI/AAAAAAAAC-o/lCJ__WVjtQc/s1152/jasagernetwork.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-den0m3a-4T8/Ty1hREF8X_I/AAAAAAAAC-w/YT7BRDWlw4Q/s1152/networksettings.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y6tkM9_JSsQ/Ty1hRBl2ByI/AAAAAAAAC-0/qadve5TxsiA/s1152/inetsharloin.jpg

Edited by barry99705

"Internet Sharing is not configurable. At all. It always creates a network in the 10.0.2.0/24 block and routes it to 192.168.1.0/24."

Go to configuration, and change the pineapple's ip address to 192.168.2.254, and the gateway to 192.168.2.1, hit update and reboot the pineapple.

Now go back to the mac's ethernet settings and change it to 192.168.2.1, netmask to 255.255.255.0, and gateway to whatever ip address your wifi or whatever you are sharing to, mine is wifi, which is 192.168.1.133. Set a dns of your choice, I'm using google's 8.8.8.8.

Pings from the pineapple don't work, but I get the internets from my laptop connected to "bobsfreewifi"... :rolleyes:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bMzue73P7sM/Ty1hRLDA3wI/AAAAAAAAC-o/lCJ__WVjtQc/s1152/jasagernetwork.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-den0m3a-4T8/Ty1hREF8X_I/AAAAAAAAC-w/YT7BRDWlw4Q/s1152/networksettings.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y6tkM9_JSsQ/Ty1hRBl2ByI/AAAAAAAAC-0/qadve5TxsiA/s1152/inetsharloin.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Barry - made my life tons easier!

telot

Hm, I configured my pineapple to work exactly as you described but I'm still having some issues. I connected my iPhone to the Pineapple AP and it got 192.168.2.4 as an IP, 192.168.2.1 as a router/dns server, and it can browse the web. I can connect to the Pineapple at 192.168.1.254 on my MacBook. The issue now is that my iPhone doesn't show up on the status page and none of the Pineapple features see traffic from it (URLsnarf, ngreg, etc). Any idea why? This is literally the first time I'm using a Pineapple so all other settings are at their defaults. I just picked up one of the Mk4 w/ firmware version 2.0.1 at ShmooCon last weekend.

Hm, I configured my pineapple to work exactly as you described but I'm still having some issues. I connected my iPhone to the Pineapple AP and it got 192.168.2.4 as an IP, 192.168.2.1 as a router/dns server, and it can browse the web. I can connect to the Pineapple at 192.168.1.254 on my MacBook. The issue now is that my iPhone doesn't show up on the status page and none of the Pineapple features see traffic from it (URLsnarf, ngreg, etc). Any idea why? This is literally the first time I'm using a Pineapple so all other settings are at their defaults. I just picked up one of the Mk4 w/ firmware version 2.0.1 at ShmooCon last weekend.

Beats me, I don't have a MK4 to play with. I couldn't click my mouse fast enough in the .002 milliseconds the tickets were ever available.... I'm not sure if the scripts are written for specific ip addresses or for specific network ports, so that's the first place I'd look. I've already reconfigured my pineapple back to stock, since I don't really use the Mac anymore.