Karma Stops The Traffic

I got the Mark IV, and I am using it on Debian OS. I downloaded the wp4.sh file, and I use alfa wireless card. I finally got it to work as an AP. I've titled it "Free WiFi" and people can connect with no issue. But as soon as I turn on karma, seems like it doesnt work anymore. Not even the internet on the computer I am using. I tried forgetting the current networks around on my ipod, knowing there is others saved on there, but it won't connect unless I specifically choose a SSID.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

I got the Mark IV, and I am using it on Debian OS. I downloaded the wp4.sh file, and I use alfa wireless card. I finally got it to work as an AP. I've titled it "Free WiFi" and people can connect with no issue. But as soon as I turn on karma, seems like it doesnt work anymore. Not even the internet on the computer I am using. I tried forgetting the current networks around on my ipod, knowing there is others saved on there, but it won't connect unless I specifically choose a SSID.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

We need to know a few more thing here...

1. if you run

iwconfig 

what is your alfa card on? wlan0 or wlan1?

the wp4.sh defaults to wlan0 it could be that its forwarding to the incorrect interface.

2. are you using a network manager ( i.e. Wicd ) to connect your alfa card to your router?

its been known to stop wp4.sh from working.

3. do you have another device that connects to the pineapple w/ karma off/on?

a) and if so can you ping 8.8.8.8?

b.) can you ping google.com?

4. with your Debian OS and with karma off/on and the wp4.sh ran

a) can you ping 8.8.8.8

b.) does it drop off if you turn on karma or rerun the wp4.sh script?

5. have you black listed your alfa cards MAC address so it wont connect to the pineapple when Karma is enabled?

Edited by pewpew

I tried forgetting the current networks around on my ipod, knowing there is others saved on there, but it won't connect unless I specifically choose a SSID.

as for the ipod.

hit join network

when it asks for the ssid

try typing in "this is a fake"

with open auth

and see if it connects while karma is on.

Edited by pewpew

Hey Pewpew, thanks for replying back

I have used iwconfig, and my alfa card is on wlan0. So i make sure the wp4.sh points in the right direction. The wp4 process goes fine, and gets to the point of pinging without any lost packets.

I haven't checked if I was blacklisted, I havent mess or configured any of that.

My internet works fine with the pineapple running and sharing my internet, it just quits working after karma is turned on. I have not checked any other device, besides my ipod, but I will try again when I get home, and see if I can even ping.

I have tried both with wicd, and not with it. Doesn't seem to affect any of the results.

I will try the suggested tips asap, and will update you. Thanks again.

Solodwarf,

Just for debugging purposes would you connect to your pineapple over the POE jack.

Then manually run these commands on your laptop / desktop (Of course not on the pineapple):

(Just be sure to replace any values below with the ones relevant to you)

ifconfig eth0 172.16.42.42 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

echo '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

iptables -X

iptables -F

iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o eth0 -s 172.16.42.0/24 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE

route del default

route add default gw 192.168.178.1 wlan0

Also, please make sure that you YOURSELF do not get karma'd. Sadly that has hapened to me back with the MK1.

You can use the blacklist feature in karma for that.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Also remember that simply not using WICD will not disable it. I prefer to remove it from starting

sudo update-rc.d -f wicd remove

Haha beat me to it Peter! wpa_supplicant and dhclient 4 life!

As for your karma problems solodwarf...thats very odd that the internet on your host machine gets borked too when you turn on karma...very strange indeed. Just for kicks, what happens if you turn on AutoStart for karma and boot your host machine up at the same time as the mark4? I'm just curious really, though it may do something. My guess is that when you changed the SSID, something got messed up - i would recommend reflashing to 1.0.2 and do not change anything, just see if it works out of the box after running wp4.sh.

telot

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for all the replies! Sorry, I have been so busy, haven't had too much time to play with it yet. But I believe my wireless cards are getting sucked into Karma lol. I haven't got to try all of replies yet, but this is where I stand.

I disabled wicd all together. So that's not an issue anymore. I am using an alfa card, but I was curious if there is a benefit to using that for this or if my normal wireless card is fine? I know the benefit of monitor mode for aircrack suite, but for use of the pineapple, is there a benefit?

I notice im having a hard time disabling my internal wireless card. I keep typing sudo ifconfig wlan0 down (the alfa is wlan1), but in a few, it seems to turn back on. I even try to disable it by the button, but that seems to disable my usb device too somehow.

So I can get it to be an open AP. But when I turn on karma, is when it messes up. I did try the ipod thing, manually connecting to an ssid saying "This is fake" and it did work. After a sec or two, I notice my connection isn't working anymore. I look at my wireless card, and looks like im connected to an old SSID. So looks like karma is working properly, but then my laptop, or anything connected to the pineapple has wifi.

I looked into the pineapple, and I did find the blacklist for ssid's, but is that what I want? I dont know how to stop myself from being karma'd. If I blacklist "pineapple" or "freewifi" does that stop everyone from connecting to it?

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the advice. I will continue to play with it, and see what I can figure out.