Mk4 Power From Usb

NickFC

Hey guys.

I recently got my mk4 and want to power it from usb.

Question, i want to use the plug from the supplied power adapter,

but which one of the 2 wires is the positive? the striped or the one with letters.

(noob question i know) but since I live in EU, I cant use it anyway, so might as well harvest it.

Acquire a digital multi meter and test for continuity. Also if you look on the plug side of the adapter (the side that plugs into the wall) it should state which wire is positive and negative (at least a lot of power supplies have that). Between those two methods you can figure out how to hook it up properly and not damage your Mark IV.

Mr-Protocol: I'm not able to get power through the adapter at all, since I don't have a us-eu plug converter.

plus it dowsn't state which wire is which. but thanks anyway

barry99705: That would be awesome!, multimeter is first on my todolist next month ^^

Mr-Protocol: I'm not able to get power through the adapter at all, since I don't have a us-eu plug converter.

plus it dowsn't state which wire is which. but thanks anyway

barry99705: That would be awesome!, multimeter is first on my todolist next month ^^

Don't need to plug it in to test continuity. Sorry, but I'm not going to chop my cord to test it out.

the options, dashed white and textline, so it's the first one?

5oi1l4.jpg

Don't need to plug it in to test continuity. Sorry, but I'm not going to chop my cord to test it out.

That's why your meter has sharp pointy ends!! That and I have three of these things now... ;)

Edited by barry99705

I purchased this and am very happy I did. Being able to power it VIA usb is ideal.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB2TYPEM-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B003MQO96U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331971048&sr=8-2

I found something like that, but it's even better. The cable splits between the Type M connector (the power) and a female USB, so I don't lose the port. I can't put anything powered on it (pineapple can't draw enough if I do) but I can still use it for something like a USB key. Since my laptop only has 2 USB ports, it's really useful.

FYI guys, not sure if anyone else has tried this but I recently found out that the MK4 can be back powered through the usb port!

Found out while testing a USB hub.

That said, I can't guarantee perfect operation in the configuration -- it isn't exactly to spec.

Have been using this with a USB cable like Splicer recommends above passing through my USB port on my Mac/ TeckNet iEP390 Battery Pack (11000mAh). Havent tried it with a 3G dongle as yet, but I think there might not be enough draw from one USB port. Perhaps someone should source one of those dual USB to single power port power cable, giving 10v power??

Have been using this with a USB cable like Splicer recommends above passing through my USB port on my Mac/ TeckNet iEP390 Battery Pack (11000mAh). Havent tried it with a 3G dongle as yet, but I think there might not be enough draw from one USB port. Perhaps someone should source one of those dual USB to single power port power cable, giving 10v power??

Pretty sure it's not spitting out 10v, it's still spitting out 5v, just allowing more amps.

post-13802-0-44514000-1332277419_thumb.j

FYI guys, not sure if anyone else has tried this but I recently found out that the MK4 can be back powered through the usb port!

That said, I can't guarantee perfect operation in the configuration -- it isn't exactly to spec.

This batterypack or splitter from Deal extreme is also very nice!

post-13802-0-59902400-1332277380_thumb.j

post-13802-0-44514000-1332277419_thumb.j

This batterypack or splitter from Deal extreme is also very nice!

DIY ftw - poe usb atw. Omg wtf

Enough 3 letter nonsense. Lord of the Rings nonsense instead:

One cable to rule them all.

http://telot.org/betterusbpoecable1.jpg

http://telot.org/betterusbpoecable5.jpg

telot

Been powering the MK4 over USB and it does maintain the power, what I did notice is that when you connect an external USB storage; it appears to power on the storage device but the MK4 will not recognize it. Only after I plug in the power adapter will it recognize the external USB drive connected.

• 4 weeks later...

I was checking the Hakshop, and I noticed that they are now selling a "USB Power Cable"

Would this cable provide enough power for the MK4 to be able to operate properly

all depends on how much amperage your usb port can provide? they also have a nifty usb hub and if you have one of those batterys with 2 usb ports, one for the pineapple and the other for the hub should do the trick, as long as the pineapple is getting enough amperage.