Suggest A Laptop For Use With Mkiv

Valsacar

My MKIV should be here soon, sometime this week. I've been looking to get a new laptop to use BT5 on and since I'm getting the pineapple I might as well get the new laptop at the same time. Looking for some suggestions for good laptops to get, or specific hardware to look for (wireless cards are always the main concern).

I prefer something smaller, Eee PC size is great for most of what I intend to use it for.

One that supports the graphics off the bat, it took me some time to figure out that I had to edit grub before running the bootup iso and after installing to add "i915.modeset=1"

all because It uses intel chipset for graphics.

I am curious what are some ideal laptops/nettops too?

My Toshiba Satellite C655 works well. BackTrack 5 boots up with no problems. The internal WiFi card is an RTL8188 and goes into monitor mode perfectly fine and even supports injection. It is probably bigger than you want though since it is a regular laptop. It was fairly inexpensive though. I mainly use my Alfa AWUS036H USB WiFi card though because it has a little bit better range than the built in card.

I have also never had any problems with the graphics, everything pretty much works "out of the box"

My Toshiba Satellite C655 works well. BackTrack 5 boots up with no problems. The internal WiFi card is an RTL8188 and goes into monitor mode perfectly fine and even supports injection. It is probably bigger than you want though since it is a regular laptop. It was fairly inexpensive though. I mainly use my Alfa AWUS036H USB WiFi card though because it has a little bit better range than the built in card.

I have also never had any problems with the graphics, everything pretty much works "out of the box"

I grabbed the alfa when I ordered the pineapple, so I could always use that but I'd prefer the smallest footprint possible. As long as I can get something with good specs, obviously monitor mode and injection would be required.

Pretty much any of the Asus eeePc laptops will work, wifi support might not though. I'm fairly sure that if I boot from a larger sd card my old eeePc 701 will boot backtrack 5r2. I'm running on a Hp compaq 6910p, everything works, even the fingerprint reader. Though nothing in linux really supports the fingerprint reader... :unsure:

Edited by barry99705

I'm a fan of the netbooks (though you can get eccono fullsized laptops for same price these days)

My EE-Pc won't boot off a thumbdrive, but my acer inspire one will.

I've used a wide screen monitor, real keyboard and mouse with them and it makes them useable in the house (outside of being a bit slow, but most of what I use them for isn't CPU intensive)

another perk to a netbook is battery life. My EE-pc still gets over 8 hours.

I'm a fan of the netbooks (though you can get eccono fullsized laptops for same price these days)

My EE-Pc won't boot off a thumbdrive, but my acer inspire one will.

I've used a wide screen monitor, real keyboard and mouse with them and it makes them useable in the house (outside of being a bit slow, but most of what I use them for isn't CPU intensive)

another perk to a netbook is battery life. My EE-pc still gets over 8 hours.

That's weird, I thought they all would. I'm running Ubuntu on a 16Gb sd card on my 701.

Im rockin one of the Acer I5 TimelineX laptops that I think Snubsie had in Season 9. Cobolt blue, I5 Cpu, W7x64. I dualboot to BT5R1 and I abolsolutely love this box. It was around $600 last Dec.

ETA: everything worked straight out of the box, BT works flawlessly on install

Edited by hfam

Im rockin one of the Acer I5 TimelineX laptops that I think Snubsie had in Season 9. Cobolt blue, I5 Cpu, W7x64. I dualboot to BT5R1 and I abolsolutely love this box. It was around $600 last Dec.

ETA: everything worked straight out of the box, BT works flawlessly on install

I'm in the market for a new laptop as well, and that series really interests me. How's the battery life on it?

While portability might be your concern before you buy it, usability will be the main contender afterwards, believe me.

I've a fairly new HP mini 110 ($100 2nd hand) running backtrack, it will netboot, usbboot and HDD boot Backtrack.

Its a 10.1 " screen and I find it much too constrictive. And the keyboard also is fairly cramped.

It does however have wifi monitor mode right off the bat. Some models have a 3g modem built in, mine doesnt

so I cant comment on the usability with Backtrack.

I would absolutely love to be able to natively run Backtrack on my MacBookAir 13" with WiFi monitor, but its not straight forward at all.

When I can afford the replacement I'll try it properly :D (yes a VM works fine, but I'd need a more up to date model to get the performance I want

2Gbs memory just doesnt cut it)

Portability is one of the primary concerns, I've used an Eee PC for years and have NO problem with using it. It's perfect for it's task, out and about. When I go on a business trip my full laptop comes for the hotel room, the smaller netbook style is for going out and working/surfing/etc.

I'll look at those TimelineX, that sounds promising.

I'm currently using a dell mini 1010... you could find eeepc's on cl for around $70 - $125..... If you're looking for something with looks, power, small size. you should check out the asus 1215n..... that would be my netbook, if i was to get one..... When buying netbooks, try to stay away from the the poulsbo GMA 500 video driver......(trust me)