Doa...?

The most exciting gift I got this Christmas! Imagine my dismay when, after following the directions in the quick start guide for Windows 7, the MK3 refuses to respond to any any attempts to open the management portal (http://172.16.42.1/pineapple). I wasnt even concerned with NAT at this point. I was just at the tourist stage trying to get it all working to have a look around. I retried the instructions numerous times over the next several HOURS. I even used Angry IP scanner to look at all the IP's in the 172.16.42.0/24 subnet. The ONLY IP responding was 172.16.42.42... my laptop.

I even fired up a factory fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10 and of course it wont work even with the "Super Quick Start" script. Or using manual configuration with the appropriate ip and mask on the eth0 interface.

I've tried holding down the pinhole reset button.

Ive tried on battery and on AC.

Ive used 4 different CAT5 cables (all of which work on other setups)

I've used the NIC on my laptop to connect it to the internet to make sure the NIC on my laptop works in the first place. (It does)

My LAN/WAN light on my MK3 is solid green. No activity. PWR is solid green.

The pineapple (172.16.42.1) is not responding to any SSH attempts, Telnet, or ping.

In short. By all accounts I think I got a brick from the HakShop. Am I missing any stupid obvious things?

I put my MK3 in redboot mode. (Disconnect from power, hold reset button, reconnect, keep holding for 2 seconds, release). as detailed here I notice no change in the indicator light pattern (If any visible change happens when it's in redboot, idk)

I went here (http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showannouncement=6) and downloaded the ap51-flash-gui-1.0-42.exe and paired it with the MK3-atherosFirmware1.9.zip which I unzipped into its component parts (openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs & openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma) Changed my ip to 192.168.1.125/24

Also, according to this guide http://wifipineapple.com/doku.php?id=flashing_guide my IP should be 192.168.0.100. I tried that as well.

In both cases the result was the same. The Attached screenshot show the result, which is the exact same regardless of my NICs IP.

I used angry IP scanner to scan the entire 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.0.0/24 range no responding nodes but my own laptop NIC.

I used PuTTY to attempt to Telnet into 192.168.0.1 port 9999 (while i was on the 192.168.0.0/24 network settings) No response. (As detailed here as well)

post-38555-0-37369400-1324925286_thumb.p

Dear Caedis,

Your MK3 has redboot not micro-redboot. That means that you do not need to press the reset button.

Simply start the flashing program and follow the instructions it gives you.

Also make sure you have winpcap installed, otherwise this will not work.

Best,

Sebkinne

Dear Caedis,

Your MK3 has redboot not micro-redboot. That means that you do not need to press the reset button.

Simply start the flashing program and follow the instructions it gives you.

Also make sure you have winpcap installed, otherwise this will not work.

Best,

Sebkinne

Oh, forgot to include, I installed winpcap for Windows Version 4.1.2 (Driver +DLLs) from this website after seeing the wpcap.dll error when I started the flash program.

I did a reboot of my laptop afterwards and what your seeing on that screenshot is the results *after* all that was installed.

I did notice occasionally I get this error "stderr:Non arp received. Make sure, the device is connected directly!" (as noted in the screenshot attached)

Edit: Also, to ensure we are on the same page here, I included a screenshot of my IP configuration on my MK3 connected NIC.

post-38555-0-93624700-1324935372_thumb.p

post-38555-0-19283600-1324936180_thumb.p

Edited by Caedis

Oh, forgot to include, I installed winpcap for Windows Version 4.1.2 (Driver +DLLs) from this website after seeing the wpcap.dll error when I started the flash program.

I did a reboot of my laptop afterwards and what your seeing on that screenshot is the results *after* all that was installed.

I did notice occasionally I get this error "stderr:Non arp received. Make sure, the device is connected directly!" (as noted in the screenshot attached)

Edit: Also, to ensure we are on the same page here, I included a screenshot of my IP configuration on my MK3 connected NIC.

This is strange indeed. The pineapple could have gotten damaged. I would suggest you contact the hakshop, they will sort you out asap.

Best,

Sebkinne

I would almost suggest try using a cross over cable if you have one to see if it will flash then. Worth a shot if you have one laying around.

You piqued my interest... I decided to pull a network repeater (Hub) out of the closet to see if it was a crossover issue. Negative. Still the same result with the MK3 plugged into the hub and my laptop to the hub likewise. I'll go ahead with contacting the HakShop as it seems this is, in fact a DOA. (Great....)

You piqued my interest... I decided to pull a network repeater (Hub) out of the closet to see if it was a crossover issue. Negative. Still the same result with the MK3 plugged into the hub and my laptop to the hub likewise. I'll go ahead with contacting the HakShop as it seems this is, in fact a DOA. (Great....)

Caedis the first time I flashed my hack shop mk3 I had to set my static ip to 192.168.0.1

for some reason that worked, and now if I flash it I have to set my static ip to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100

it doesn't make since to me but I played around for an hour trying different ip address to use

sorry in advance if this doesn't help.

Does the flash tool give in the log window the "your ip" stuff at all?

I'm having the same issue as Caedias; and I also just received my wifi pineapple from the hakshop. And in my case EasyFlash does display Peer Mac, Peer IP, Your MAC and Your IP ( with identical ip's as the v2.6 flashing guide ) but it never makes its way to the flashing process.

I've tried every combination of hitting go and plugging in the power imaginable and it always hangs after Your IP.

any ideas?

Thanks

I just made a video on how to flash it. Check the link in my signature.

The one issue I ran into was just reinstalling winpcap and rebooting my Windows machine.

The second issue I had was it seemed the router did not want to flash and would hang the program if it was not unplugged for ~5 minutes before the firmware flash attempt.

Check out the video and see if it helps. I also didn't have to set a 192.168.x.x IP either as I assumed was possible :)

Great video Mr-Protocol; unfortunately I still have the same issue - I've followed your video exactly on both WinXP and Win7 machines and I'm still having EasyFlash hang after "Your IP: 192.168.0.0"

Is there anything that I could possibly be missing?

Caedis have you managed to flash yours yet? If so I'd really like to hear how you managed to get it too work

Caedis the first time I flashed my hack shop mk3 I had to set my static ip to 192.168.0.1

for some reason that worked, and now if I flash it I have to set my static ip to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100

it doesn't make since to me but I played around for an hour trying different ip address to use

sorry in advance if this doesn't help.

I also have to set my ip static to one in the 192.168.1.x range for the flash util to work correctly in win7, and disable my other ethernet adapter (witch i find weird, A's im not using that range anywhere else on my network)

Thanks again for the help Mr-Protocol; managed to sort it out using 100% the exact settings as your video

So my advice to others having the hang up issue after "Your IP" - keep trying! It may not work the 1st time, 4th time or even on the 10th try but rest assured it'll eventually take the flash.

One last question Mr-Protocol, would I be able to flash a fresh ap51 using this same method or does it differ?

Thanks again for the help Mr-Protocol; managed to sort it out using 100% the exact settings as your video

So my advice to others having the hang up issue after "Your IP" - keep trying! It may not work the 1st time, 4th time or even on the 10th try but rest assured it'll eventually take the flash.

^^ Aint that the truth! I fear a lot of our forum members (me included at first!) fail the first 5 times and convince themselves they're doing something wrong. Set things up exactly as Mr. Protocol does (our pineapple flashing guru) and just keep keep keep trying. We should have something like this pinned.

One last question Mr-Protocol, would I be able to flash a fresh ap51 using this same method or does it differ?

Yeppers.

telot

Same method.