ram im confused

hakgipc

ok let me get this straight....

ddr pc3200 is said to run at 200 mhz each stick i fi have 2 does that mean thioretically im running a clock speed of 400mhz in ram..

also ddr2 pc8000 is said to run at 1ghz is that each stick

plz explain im confused :?:

* PC2-3200: DDR2-SDRAM memory stick specified to run at 200 MHz using DDR2-400 chips, 3.200 GB/s bandwidth

* PC2-4200: DDR2-SDRAM memory stick specified to run at 266 MHz using DDR2-533 chips, 4.267 GB/s bandwidth

* PC2-5300: DDR2-SDRAM memory stick specified to run at 333 MHz using DDR2-667 chips, 5.333 GB/s bandwidth1

* PC2-6400: DDR2-SDRAM memory stick specified to run at 400 MHz using DDR2-800 chips, 6.400 GB/s bandwidth

ok where it says pc2-3200 so i see from here that its fsb runs at 200mhz and the ram clock spead itself it at 400mhz corect me if im wrong and i dont understand bandwidth thing

FSB is only related to Intel CPUs now, as AMD don't have a FSB technically because the memory controller is on the CPU die.

Bandwidth is how much raw data you can transfer in and out of the memory.

Like most things greater is better.

Except for latencies, but please don't ask about latencies because you don't even understand this.

ok where it says pc2-3200 so i see from here that its fsb runs at 200mhz and the ram clock spead itself it at 400mhz corect me if im wrong and i dont understand bandwidth thing

No, you don't add the frequencies, they just have to match. Bandwidth measures the amount of data you can transfer -- this does not change unless you upgrade all of the memory modules to a higher frequency. For example:

One 512MB PC2-4200 stick provides for 4.267 GB/s transfer, and 512MB of storage.

Two 512MB PC2-4200 sticks provide for 4.267 GB/s transfer, and 1GB of storage.

DDR stand for double data rate, in standard SDRAM data is only exchanged from the CPU to the memory once per tick, with DDR it is twice per tick. So what ever clock speed the memory is running at, the motherboard is using double that, theoreticly.

I'm no pro but you knoow it says "Dual" that could mean you have 2 ram sticks at 210ghz which means you have 420ghz but it only shows the stats of one ram stick?

Holy shit, we've hit those speeds already? Gimme your computer!

;)