New Build - Connectivity Issues

DaBeach

After a new build with an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe and an Intel i7 2600K with Windows Ultimate 64bit I am encountering a connectivity issue with one of the on board MB NICS.

I can access the internet without issue.

When I download a file via Firefox I noticed that the download will hang, pressing pause and then start on each download will continue the download without issue.

When attempting to connect to other computers on the LAN I noticed that while in the Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center that the active home network will disappear momentarily and return and then re-identify itself to the router. When attempting to paste a file to another computer over the LAN it gets completely stuck and will not complete the transmission.

I checked if I could access other LAN computers all have the same effect.

I can use other computers on the LAN to send/receive to other LAN computer without error.

When I log on to the new system and just basic WWW or Windows Update I experience no issues.

I have updated the MB and other MB items including the 2 on board NICS with both software on DVD and at the manufacturers website, the error continues.

When in the Intel 82579V connection properties and running diagnostics it returns the following:

CONNECTION:

This connection obtained an IP address

from a DHCP server.

No WINS server is available for this connection

Ping Gateway 192.168.1.100: Failed

Ping DHCP 192.168.1.100: Failed

Ping DNS 192.168.1.100: Failed

Link speed: 100Mbps. The link partner

is not capable of higher speeds.

CABLE:

Polarity : Normal

HARDWARE:

EEPROM Test : Passed

FIFO Test : Passed

Register Test : Passed

Loopback Test(s) : Passed

I can't seem to identify the issue, any ideas?

I experienced similar issues with my wifes computer when we first bought her new Windows 7 machine. Intermittent connectivity issues, no DHCP leases, etc. Turned out to be because of NCSI. Might be the same issue you are faced with, and either way, disabling this won't hurt anything to do so, but could help in the process.

Start witht he NCSI services - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766017(WS.10).aspx

Controlling Communication Between NCSI and a Site on the Internet

You can prevent NCSI from connecting to http://www.msftncsi.com by setting a registry key. The following subsections provide more information.
How Preventing NCSI from Communicating Across the Internet Can Affect Users and Applications

If you set a registry key to prevent NCSI from connecting to http://www.msftncsi.com, applications that perform checks for the existence of Internet connectivity might work more slowly. Also, if a computer running Windows Vista is brought into a hot spot that requires sign-in, the computer might not detect the hot spot.
Procedures for Controlling Communication Between NCSI and a Site on the Internet

The following procedure describes how to change a registry setting that prevents NCSI from communicating across the Internet.
To Prevent NCSI from Communicating Across the Internet by Changing a Registry Setting
 For best results, close all programs on the computer on which you are changing the registry setting.

To open a command prompt as an administrator, click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.

Type:

regedit
Caution 
Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the computer. You can also use the Last Known Good Configuration startup option if you encounter problems after manual changes have been applied.

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet

Under the Internet key, double-click EnableActiveProbing, and then in Value data, type:

The default for this value is 1. Setting the value to 0 prevents NCSI from connecting to a site on the Internet during checks for connectivity.

Click OK.

Restart the computer.

Then if that doesn't work, change the IPv6 and Ipv4 priority, to make IPv4 the higher priority, as IPv6 takes a higher priority by default in Windows Vista and 7 -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968920

Once I did those changes on her machine, we no longer had any issues. One way you can test if these are interfering, assign static addresses to the nic, and watch them still fail to connect to the internet. If that happens, then do the above fixes and you should then be fine. If after doing all this, invest in an a new nic and try from there, as it may just be crappy hardware. Had that happen with a wirelss pci card that never worked in Vista or 7, even with latest drivers from the manufacturers website. Some stuff just slips through the quality assurance tests and never work properly. Could be damaged as well, which won't show any obvious signs other than just never work correctly.

Digip suggestion should do the trick, if it doesn't make sure you have the latest drivers and if it still fails it would definitively be hardware related.

This upgrade was supposed to be fun, but after a bunch of problems the fizzle is almost gone.

I decided to try to use the 2nd built in to the MB NIC, now when downloading from the net via Firefox the download completes without user interaction. And the Home Network in the Network Sharing area does not flash in and out however, the ability to send any file over the LAN fails miserably. I can find any computer on the LAN, drill down into the directory but when I copy a file over it will eventually show on the other system but will get stuck on mine, and the file even though it shows the correct size will be corrupt.

I have completely disabled the Windows firewall on all three sections to no avail.

I even dropped back to a fresh install without any additional software (including from the ASUS DVD) which had ALL updates applied to the OS, the problem is there too. So it does not appear to be something I did from the fresh install until the active install with preferred settings and other software.

I have installed WIN 7 Ultimate 64 & 32bit dozens of times without ever encountering this issue.

I think I will have to pop in another NIC card and see how that works, right now I suspect the ASUS MB NICS. Kinda strange though.

I even re-entered the Router Firewall rules for both MB NICS.

So far it seems I can rule out my Router, WIN Firewall, Additional software and settings.

Yeah, sounds like faulty hardware, being the NIC's themselves.

Either you replace the MB or buy an additional NIC.

Should anyone else encounter this problem with this hardware, the issue was resolved this way.

Deleting both the Intel and RealTek NICS via Device manager including all associated software.

Deleting ALL Intel software via Control Panel/Programs (2 Packages) "Intel Network Connections" & "Intel Management Engine Components". The later requiring a reboot.

Re-Install RealTek NIC driver via ASUS DVD.

Using the RealTek NIC port after a restart both Internet and LAN connections operate as they should without delay.

I don't know if the Intel NIC port on the board is bad or if the associated software caused a conflict or not.

I don't know if the Intel NIC port on the board is bad or if the associated software caused a conflict or not.

Software conflict can also cause these issues, so its always recommend to download the latest drivers. As there could be some bug fixes already incorporated into them.

Glad you fixed the issue.

Yup, I had initially attempted to obtain new drivers from ASUS and then again from Intel when the problem continued.

I have another system to build and when I get around it I will boot this system from Linux to see if the trouble persists there. And I will post findings should anyone search for this specific problem.