boot xp takes 2 seconds

hakgipc

Format and Reinstall.

I find that works best.

Yup, once or twice a year, seems to keep things ticking along nicely.

Alternativley Start -> run -> msconfig, look for the tab on the far right that says "startup" and carefully go threw that to see if there's stuff you can prune. If its made by MS, and you don't know what it does, google the name of it.

Did you know having microsoft office installed increases windows load time?

It's true, thats why ms office programs load so much faster then other full featured office programs when you want them. It prety much loads office at system startup. Yet another reason to use OpenOffice.

I'v started the pushg of getting windows as far away from me as posible. My windows server is now running SuSE 10.1 (configured as a server, and it was realy easy to setup samba and printers with yast and swat). My web server is still runing FreeBSD (as it usualy dose). My old desktop computer is running SuSE 10.1 (such a nice Desktop OS as well), the only computers still running windows are this one (needed for games), my PVR (stupid TV card not supported by Linux yet) and a old computer that I don't give a fuck about. I'll probably install Xubuntu on it later when I can be botherd, it's too crap for any thing but web browsing, word proccessing and that sort of non-gaming stuff, and all the software thats on it now (appart from windows) is open source any way. I'm sure you'll be happy to know I don't use MS Office any more ;)

On the one hand i can see it from there point of view, they set out in the modual brief how they wanted to thing submitted, in this case a DVD movie. And someone handed in a divX on a CD, which because the lectures all used first edition iMacs in there offices, wouldn't play.

But on the other hand, my lectures are ignorant, myopic, Artist types with none of the tallent or vision you'd expect from a pre-school finger painting session. I did photography ffs, and one of my lectures didn't know what a mega pixel was, and the head of course admited to never owning a camera beyond a point & shoot. If i was in charge of that university, i'd have shot the lectures a long time ago, hired more staff techs and intergrated with fine art.

On the day I went to Hudderfield univerissty for a tour of the building and stuff, the guy who showed us around said they try to use free software where ever posible. I presume this means they have openoffice on all there computers since ms office certinly isn't free. Obviusly they have computers that have windows on them, but they have computers with Linux/BSD and some sparc macheines with Solaris on them as well, and ms office certinly won't run on them.

Yeah same goes for colleges... I've taken 4 completely seperate 1 year courses... 3 at one college, 1 at another... both colleges, several departments at each and they were all pathetic... The lecturers were slow at best, the resources were too limited to run the courses that they insisted on running and staff dropped of the face of the earth left right and centre... communication between staff and between different areas of the colleges (especially course staff <--> admin) was terrible and basically if I'd expected any more than a hard ride and a bumpy ride I'd have been disappointed.

GNVQ Computing (or something like that): Complete disaster, partly due to a bad choice of course. How to use basic office apps, didn't hold my attention. Lecturers disappeared and it was just crap in general. Schedules were swapped and changed, tutors (in the overseeing of a student group) disappeared, changed, ran away and dumped us.

C&G Computer Maintenance: Went fairly well, they didn't teach us much but by that point I was pretty much self-taught... Basic computer maintenance, building, troubleshooting etc... Lecturer was great, course wasn't too bad except when they drastically cut the hours to 1 morning per week and they forgot to mention that it'd be <25% of the course when I enrolled...

Came with integrated Electronics course, flunked that, lecturer was terrible, lessons were near pointless... Tried to apply for the level above once I passed, was told that course didn't exist, found out during early next year that it was in fact running that year. Was ready to kill at that point. Grr.

GNVQ Media: Again, staff disappeared all the time, equipment was sub-par, tasks were poor and unsupported, staff were arrogant, higher level classes got priority over us in using the little equipment we did have... Schedule constantly rearranged, lessons dropped. I flunked it, couldn't put up with the hassle...

Cisco IT Essentials: Terrible. Staff disappeared to the point of having none of the 4 original staff left at the end of the course. The replacement member of staff (yes, one member of staff) we got for our remaining 2 lessons per week knew nothing about current technologies (and very little about older ones) and was useless at controlling the students. Lessons removed, whole chunks or the course were dropped to the point of the end of the course amounting to ~10% of the original course content... Useless, just plain useless... I failed this one because I didn't see the point in turning up for the final exam when the rest of the course hadn't been completed. *Shrug*

Ooh... sorry for the long post, just thought I'd give you a taste of my experience with colleges in the UK...

I know a lot of universities get MS products for free if they tell MS that they are going open-source. This is because MS don't want graduates going through their education not being exposed to MS products because hopefully they will recommend them when they graduate.

The only computer course i've taken was a full GCSE in ICT, that was a waste of time, also because the coursework was worth 60% of the final mark and the exam had nothing to do with IT in it and was more general knowledge I only managed to get a 'C'!

Hopefully (I will know tomorrow for definite), I'll be attending ICL from october and taking a MEng in Computing which looks excellent.

Heh, back when I took my GCSE's it was still called IT, and involved lessons on teletext and token rings. When i started, we were still using Acorns. Still, got an A, and i'd spent most of my time playing duke nukem 3D during class.

I've just done a degree in photography, and to be quite honest the main aim of the course seemed to be "forget about the image quality, just have a meaningful concept behind it"... if you don't know what that means, go to www.eyes-wideopen.co.uk and read the text, then look at the images. Nothing on how to get a job at the end of it, but we did have 3 lectures on how to beg the UK Arts Council for money.

In the end the whole expirence kind soured me against the art world. I love photography, and art, but I don't want to end up as some whinney pussy doing bullshit "art" that no one asked for or wanted for handouts from the tax payers.

Heh, back when I took my GCSE's it was still called IT, and involved lessons on teletext and token rings. When i started, we were still using Acorns. Still, got an A, and i'd spent most of my time playing duke nukem 3D during class.

Ahh, loved those old Acorns... so versatile... funnily enough though I rarely used them for games, I preferred to program them in good old BBC BASIC and Obey :p

Yep, t'was IT for me too, completely pointless though... Wintel based, but come on, who doesn't know what a goddamn mouse is?!

All the I.T lecturers at the uni i went to actually new what they where talking about. Every lession i would learn something new. I was doing a magor in Software Development. But at the time i left they where just starting to re-arnge the I.T department and make it apart of the bussiness department, and they where losing alot of the I.T courses. They said they where doing this because of the lack of interest in I.T but i cant see how making I.T apart of bussiness is going to improve it. Now its getting ran by a heap of bussiness people that have no idea about the technology.

Well, I think it has to do with the IT in busness. In buisness it's not simpley "oh, it's broken, heres how to fix it" you are supposed to follow procedure, even if the solution is right in frount of you and a single command execution can fix it instantly. I alredy understand this, but I'm not qualified to understand this :P

If im learning how to program i would rather have a lecture that also magored in programming and not bussiness. Theres just something about that that says they dont really know what there talking about.

Well fair point but if, say for instance, you were going to go work in the IT dept. of a company, not only do you have to do the techy stuff, you've also got to know the proper procedures for each task... there's also lots of that dreaded paperwork too which most young techies wouldn't imagine exists when you're just repairing a machine or adding a new part...

Yes but at this uni it is mandatory to take at least one bussiness subject, so that takes care of that. If im learning how to code in c, i dont want to be learning anything else but how to computer works. I can learn all the bussiness aspect's in the bussiness class that i must take. It wouldnt of been a problem if hey left all there good I.T lectures but they didnt.