Which Is Jasager's Intended Purpose?

Hello folks,

i recently got the Jasager and have been playing around with it for some time. I soon noticed that the purpose of Jasager seems quite limited to me. Let me explain this (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

- The automatic connect feature (which makes the access point always say "yes" when a client asks if a certain SSID is present) only works if the original wireless network of the victim is completely unencrypted (which is quite unlikely nowadays)

- One can of course use the device as a seemingly free wireless access point with, for example, the SSID "FREEWIFI" on an airport and many people will try to use it, but I can do that with any access point

Considering those two facts, the device is quite pointless. Or am I overseeing something very important here? Thanks for clarifying this!

Cheers,

Tom

Hello folks,

i recently got the Jasager and have been playing around with it for some time. I soon noticed that the purpose of Jasager seems quite limited to me. Let me explain this (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

- The automatic connect feature (which makes the access point always say "yes" when a client asks if a certain SSID is present) only works if the original wireless network of the victim is completely unencrypted (which is quite unlikely nowadays)

- One can of course use the device as a seemingly free wireless access point with, for example, the SSID "FREEWIFI" on an airport and many people will try to use it, but I can do that with any access point

Considering those two facts, the device is quite pointless. Or am I overseeing something very important here? Thanks for clarifying this!

Cheers,

Tom

starbucks or place with open wifi and man in the middle.

Not telling you to do it

The jasager is basically a hardware appliance. You can also setup a fake AP and such by using karmetasploit on linux. Or even any router you can just make open and hookup to be MITM. The jasager "encourages" people to connect to you while creating an AP called "Free Wifi" they have to connect to you themselves.

Hello folks,

Cheers,

Tom

Most free hotspots are still unencrypted so this will lure people who have connected to those. It was developed as a pen-testing tool and would be used to target travelling salesmen and people like that.

Thanks for buying one without knowing the actual use before splashing your cash.

Most free hotspots are still unencrypted so this will lure people who have connected to those. It was developed as a pen-testing tool and would be used to target travelling salesmen and people like that.

Thanks for buying one without knowing the actual use before splashing your cash.

Well you could always just reflash it...buy a usb/ethernet nas device and create a pirate box.

http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox

Or flash it back into a normal useful router : http://www.gargoyle-router.com/index.php

Ultimately..the fonera has many uses...

Edited by Mnemonic