Pen Testing Books

RogueHart

ill be going to the bookstore tomorrow (i live in the middle of nowhere so its about an hour drive to the nearest one) and im wanting to pick up something interesting to study. i was wanting some suggestions on good books over pentesting. preferably using linux systems but windows wouldnt be bad either. nothing mac related though (despise mac).

ty for any suggestions

I don't know if you have heard of Ninja Hacking, but it has been recommended by some website I can't remember, its name.

I don't know if you have heard of Ninja Hacking, but it has been recommended by some website I can't remember, its name.

certainly sounds interesting

Ninja Hacking : Unconventional Penetration Testing Tactics and Techniques

http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781597495882?id=4930802614671

ill have to see if its there and take a look through

Don't waste your money on this one: "Professional Penetration Testing: Creating and Operating a Formal Hacking Lab"

Expensive and there are much better ones available. "Dissecting The Hack" revised ed, is an excellent start.

Economically speaking use a netbook turn it on it's side like a book rotate a pdf 90° view in full screen and viola

an easy navigable book. If you aren't using the reg adobe pdf reader you can more than likely make your own bookmarks as well.

Don't waste your money on this one: "Professional Penetration Testing: Creating and Operating a Formal Hacking Lab"

Expensive and there are much better ones available. "Dissecting The Hack" revised ed, is an excellent start.

Economically speaking use a netbook turn it on it's side like a book rotate a pdf 90° view in full screen and viola

an easy navigable book. If you aren't using the reg adobe pdf reader you can more than likely make your own bookmarks as well.

And there is that option too, if you don't want to buy something expensive, you can also download an electronic copy of some book.

Torrent will be a nice place to download and its economically free too.

this is good to know actually. i am interested in learning about pentesting. but that offensive security is deathly expensive.... so a book would be nice. some good suggestions. will look into them more. also backtrack 4 is great to do pentesting on.

yeah backtrack is nice but im looking for general linux (preferrably command line only) so that i can learn the basics and learn what the tools backtrack provides actually do. i would like to learn how to test a network with the raw materials in a basic linux install.

and spent about 3 hours in the bookstore but they had nothing like what i was wanting. they had a network+ certification study guide, 2 ubuntu server books, 1 linux bible, and 1 ubuntu bible. those were the only linux books they had other than android and such. horrible selection. i need to get a kindle and load it up with ebooks

looks pretty good.

got my hands on a digital copy of the CEH certification reference manual. its pretty good as well.

If you are trying to learn Linux better and it's CLI, I would recommend Unix power tools book, or learn more about Bash, shell scripting, and how to esclate priviledges. I would also recommend to try hacking challenges that a lot of sites offer (wish this one did) but like Hackthissite.org, SANS Netwars, DC3.mil forensics challenges, ect.. they are great for learning. For me I cant just read a book and know everything, I learn kinecticly by practicing.. hope that helps.

If you are trying to learn Linux better and it's CLI, I would recommend Unix power tools book, or learn more about Bash, shell scripting, and how to esclate priviledges. I would also recommend to try hacking challenges that a lot of sites offer (wish this one did) but like Hackthissite.org, SANS Netwars, DC3.mil forensics challenges, ect.. they are great for learning. For me I cant just read a book and know everything, I learn kinecticly by practicing.. hope that helps.

it does atually ive been looking for a good site since hackits.de went down. used to love that place in high school. made it to lt.colonel before they got shut down.

and im in the same boat as far as how i learn but typically if i have a book i can get a basis of where to begin in the first few chpters and then run with it.