Extending Wireless Camera Range

Infiltrator

Hi Guys,

I would like to know if there is a way to, increase the physical range for one of this wireless cameras.

http://www.ozspy.com.au/products/1-Hidden-Spy-Cameras/121-CCD-Covert-Hi-Resolution-Wireless-Button-Cam/

I am thinking on mounting a couple of those, on my RC remote control car and drive it around my neighborhood.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

You might get a way with modifying the antennas for a better signal but more than likely if you need really long range, its line of sight and a repeater with high power output that would be needed. I know there are a few threads on the forums where people have extended their wifi up to a mile, so search for them and what they did.

You might get a way with modifying the antennas for a better signal but more than likely if you need really long range, its line of sight and a repeater with high power output that would be needed. I know there are a few threads on the forums where people have extended their wifi up to a mile, so search for them and what they did.

Will keep on searching, thank you for the info much appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I would like to know if there is a way to, increase the physical range for one of this wireless cameras.

http://www.ozspy.com.au/products/1-Hidden-Spy-Cameras/121-CCD-Covert-Hi-Resolution-Wireless-Button-Cam/

I am thinking on mounting a couple of those, on my RC remote control car and drive it around my neighborhood.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

"I am thinking on mounting a couple of those, on my RC remote control car and drive it around my neighborhood." Home Alone 3.

It's a 2.4ghz camera, i think you can use a standard 1watt 2.4ghz amplifier and hook it up with higher gain antenna, 5db is fine for the remote car, otherwise you gonna have to dodge everything as you drive around...

Edited by Morpheus

"I am thinking on mounting a couple of those, on my RC remote control car and drive it around my neighborhood." Home Alone 3.

It's a 2.4ghz camera, i think you can use a standard 1watt 2.4ghz amplifier and hook it up with higher gain antenna, 5db is fine for the remote car, otherwise you gonna have to dodge everything as you drive around...

Correct if I am wrong, but an amplifier would just introduce more noise and decrease the signal strength, what if I added a high gain antenna, would that work better.

Correct if I am wrong, but an amplifier would just introduce more noise and decrease the signal strength, what if I added a high gain antenna, would that work better.

You're right, i noticed a 2db antenna, i know the 5db would be a bottleneck but you can't put a 24db antenna on a rc remote car.. it's way too big no matter what.. so you really need to test it out, though i think you should try those ip cameras instead of the ones you intend to buy, they may not be as good, but surely easier to manage and a wireless interface outta the box..

An amplifier on the transmitting side will not add any appreciable noise and will increase the signal strength. I would not reccomend a very high gain antenna on the transmitter because they tend to be directional, which would be useless to you.

You're right, i noticed a 2db antenna, i know the 5db would be a bottleneck but you can't put a 24db antenna on a rc remote car.. it's way too big no matter what.. so you really need to test it out, though i think you should try those ip cameras instead of the ones you intend to buy, they may not be as good, but surely easier to manage and a wireless interface outta the box..

I thought about that as well, but usually an IP camera would be quite heavy compared to an USB webcam. Now the issue I have with the USB web-cameras is connectivity. They need to be connected to a computer, in order to function as opposed to an IP camera which operates as a standalone device.

In order for the USB webcams to work, I was thinking of placing a netbook on-board of the RC car, but that brings another issue, weight!!!. Unless the RC car is a monster truck or a is bigger enough vehicle to accommodate the netbook that won't be possible.

I then did a bit of thinking, on how to eliminate the netbook off the equation and considered in building a small and light enough computer, using an ITX motherboard like this one

http://www.mini-itx.com/

And the convenient part I like most about this mobo is that it has 4 USB connectors, which covers exactly the number of cameras the car will need, in order for me to drive it around.

Anyway will keep you guys posted with the progress of the project.

Edited by Infiltrator