First,...i Salute You,....wish I Was As Brilliant As You Guys

SeerMax

:blink: Although my laptop may not be brank spankin' new,....it has the capability to use thw wireless connection. I'v tried going through HP, who made this Pavillion laptop, but their not real quick on getting back to me. Regardless,...I went through the steps with "Set Up Wireless Assistant', so that I might use the wireles connection. On the very last step,.....for either 2WIRE783 OR 2WIRE470, I was asked to insert the network key or passphase, in ordwer to sign on. Don't have that info, how do I get it, and where do I get it.

Once you type in the network key/ passphase, how does one use this service,....is it free, must I have a router, or can I just use and sign on from my laptop? In other words,....what does it take to get this up and running. I have been using a regular ethernet connection cord, wanted to try wireless,....just don't understand the fundamentals.

Please,...anyone who can walk me through this, step by step,....I would be so greatful. I just don't have money to buy a new computer, so I certainly don't want to screw things up that ruin the used one I am currently using,.....oh yes, when using wireless, is your I.P. still protected, or is a person pretty much in the wide open spaces,....so to speak?.....Thanks,..... :blink::huh:

No, the 2wires are issued by qwest and the passphrase (by default) is the homeowners phone number in some sort of hex (i forget).

So you dont have access, youre SOL. You have a laptop, go to a cafe

The good news is it is WEP so have fun and know that nothing illegal is condoned here

Edited by gcninja

If its your own router, the default code is usally listed in the manual or paperwork, or it might be on the base of the router. If its not, see if you can access the router's admin config panel, and change it to something else.

If its not your router, then accessing it is probally some sort of crime where you live, but meh. Its not like they're gonna find you unless you an idiot. You need to establish what type of encryption it's using, if its WEP then yay, if its WPA then maybe. If its WPA2, then give up.

If yes goto wallmart and buy a wireless router, set a wpa2 tkip passphrase on it and then enter it into your laptop. Then you'll have your own wifi.

Use WPA2 AES-PSK instead, as of the moment it's more secure. TKIP is going to be deprecated in the next 802.11 standard anyway.

Use WPA2 AES-PSK instead, as of the moment it's more secure. TKIP is going to be deprecated in the next 802.11 standard anyway.

And make sure you have a complex pass-phrase and not something like "hackme" that's what a lot of people do nowadays.

WPA2 by is strong, but if you have a weak pass-phrase than it will be easy for someone with the right gear and wordlist to crack your wpa key.

Just trying to get an update to you guys,....not having much luck this afternoon. Not trying to get myself in sll sorts of trouble,....just tryin' to get free internet if at all possible. I am a female, 64, who happens to be disabled,....and one of the few forms of entertainment I have is my laptop. I was given a D Link Model DIR-625 Booster Router, and the only thing that seems to b e wrong is how to set it up,....the USB cord is missing, the one that connects the unit to my laptop. I went to the home site,...that wasn't much help,....another poster made a comment if I had a router, I would have my own WiFi; is that pretty reliable, to do that, and how's the speed on the Internet? I'm no techno genius like you guys,....so any help, I am so greatful for,....is my own WiFi, not going to get me in a boatload of trouble?

Thanks so much for any and all help,.....and if the help might be lenghty,...please, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail with instructions,......