Using Win Xp In Virtual Box On Bt4?

I have googled everywhere but can only find how to use windows VM to host BT4, what I am trying to do is use BT4 and virtual machine to host win XP for practice.. I know it is based on Ubuntu and found articles about non-compatiblity between the OS and virtual machine conflicts and that DKMS needs to be installed. (Thats the error I get when trying to run the .iso) when trying to install DKMS I get this error

"Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable

distribution that some required packages have not yet been created

or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that

the package is simply not installable and a bug report against

that package should be filed.

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

dkms: Depends: linux-headers but it is not installable

E: Broken packages"

Has anybody used BT4 as their main OS and then used Virtual box or Vbox for their Windows app needs? How did you get it to work, this is driving me crazy! lol (I think it has something to do with rebuilding the kernel?)

I wouldn't install BackTrack as the main operating system though, I don' think that would work out well at all. However you could set up your system as a dual boot, having windows and BT installed on different partitions, the only hassle with that is you can only boot one OS at the time.

Another option, would be to buy a cheap netbook and install backtrack on it. Now if you still want to have WinXP and BT running parallel to each other than, there is the VMware version of backtrack, you could try downloading that, if you haven't so.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/

Are you doing vmware or sun's virtual box. Maybe give that a try. You might need to update the missing dependencies, but try "apt-get install virtualbox" and see if it goes through.

Might help, See here:http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30902

Edited by digip

I have tried all of the methods suggested here is what I get.. It does not want to work lol

I know there has to be a way right?

Did you update DKMS first? apt-get install, then apt-get update? Not sure that would make a wordl of difference.

I would say its possible to get it to run, but you will probably need to compile your own kernel, which in the process, might break other things.

One thing to note, is back|track uses its own modified kernel that the BT team has changed for their needs, which is why I always tell people back|track is not uBuntu, uBuntu is not back|track. You probably need to compile it under the back|track kernel itself, but they might have certain switches in the kernel turned off, that will make this impossible, without customizing the kernel yourself to add that functionality back in.

Best bet, run a windows box or esx server, and then have BT and XP Vm's to play with. BT can be a stand alone OS, but it was designed with a specific task at hand, which is lean, mean, penetration testing, and they remove a lot of the extra candy that doesn't add to their specific goals.

I've got bt4 r1 installed as main os and i have

virtualbox and vmware installed on it.

Didnt have any probs with that!

I downloaded both packages from their websites.

c

Thats good to know, maybe he doesnt have the updates for everything, OR his hardware cant do virtualization?

Best way to find out, whether the CPU has support for virtualization is going into the BIOS and checking any parameters that corresponds to VT or virtualization. If it does then make sure its enabled, if you can't find anything than most likely it doesn't support VT.

Edited by Infiltrator

I did a apt-get update, which some of the information is showing in the screen shot after I did that command. I have used both VMware and Vbox using Ubuntu before on the pc. From what I understand is you only need Virtualmachine hardware in BIOS if you are going to run a 64bit OS using ubuntu becuase I tried to install a win 7 64bit version and it did not work, but then used win xp 32bit and had no problems. That info I got from the ubuntu irc channel.

I did a apt-get update, which some of the information is showing in the screen shot after I did that command. I have used both VMware and Vbox using Ubuntu before on the pc. From what I understand is you only need Virtualmachine hardware in BIOS if you are going to run a 64bit OS using ubuntu becuase I tried to install a win 7 64bit version and it did not work, but then used win xp 32bit and had no problems. That info I got from the ubuntu irc channel.

The thing is, you cant run a 64 bit VM inside a 32 bit Host OS. You can only run 64 bit VM's inside 64 bit Hosts.

edit:

Just to confirm, I asked Mati if there were any 64 bit builds of back|track, and he said there are only 32 bit versions, so no 64bit vm's possible.

Edited by digip

I understand, I have a dual core system so using BT4 32bit system will not use my pc's full potential, but still a 32 bit OS hosting a 32 bit VM of xp should work. I am using the BT4 final version not the beta one.

@Cor, So you got Virutal machine to work within BT4? Maybe it is because I used synaptic package manager to install vbox. I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it by doing a apt-get install vbox, then when it was downloaded back on my machine again all my settings were still the same and the virtualmachines were still there and did not have to reinstall the xp .iso, so it makes me think that the settings were never deleted when I uninstalled it threw synaptic.

@DigiP, I only did one of those commands "apt-get install, then apt-get update" I will try both again, also I read online this is another way to install that might work..

root@bt:~# wget -c http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/...3-Linux_x86.run

root@bt:~# chmod +x Virtualbox-3.2.8-64453-Linux_x86.run

root@bt:~# ./Virtualbox-3.2.8-64453-Linux_x86.run

does that look right?

Edit:: no the very first wget command gave me a 404 error and it is not my connection, I am typing to you right now from BT4

Edited by 555

Try BT4 R1. Then update everything in it, then try installing the VM stuff. R1 is also more stable and has improvements over BT4 Final, such as fixed wifi drivers and a newer kernel.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/

I installed BT4 rc1 but am having major troubles, I have problems scrolling, and when I ran emacs to make a shell script it looks weird like the background is black except for certain parts of the screen and when I click and drag the menu of any program it looks funky like it creates a bunch of the same windows everywhere on the screen, so theres a bunch of weird lines and stuff then I know my UN and PW is correct but when logging into here it would not accept my UN & PW even though I know I typed it in correctly so had to create a new one because it locked my account. I tryed to post a screen shot but when I posted the image to image shack i could not scroll all the way to the left to see what the link is to type. Has anyone encountered this error before? its weird, First time I tried to install BT4 rc1 to HD it said something was wrong with my DVD disc (brand new disc) then I burned another one and got the same error on a wordlist.txt file I think clicked retry with no luck, then skip and it installed but is all buggy. I did the apt-get install and update.

I installed BT4 rc1 but am having major troubles, I have problems scrolling, and when I ran emacs to make a shell script it looks weird like the background is black except for certain parts of the screen and when I click and drag the menu of any program it looks funky like it creates a bunch of the same windows everywhere on the screen, so theres a bunch of weird lines and stuff then I know my UN and PW is correct but when logging into here it would not accept my UN & PW even though I know I typed it in correctly so had to create a new one because it locked my account. I tryed to post a screen shot but when I posted the image to image shack i could not scroll all the way to the left to see what the link is to type. Has anyone encountered this error before? its weird, First time I tried to install BT4 rc1 to HD it said something was wrong with my DVD disc (brand new disc) then I burned another one and got the same error on a wordlist.txt file I think clicked retry with no luck, then skip and it installed but is all buggy. I did the apt-get install and update.

Sounds like the downloaded ISO you had was corrupt or incomplete. More than likely, another download(and md5 check for verification) should fix it and then try installing again. Also might have some issues with your graphic card, but if the burn process is having issues, then I'd say its not going to work to install from it and you should try re-downloading and verifying the download via the md5 hash.

I got the .iso directly from the links you both provided (not torrent but direct download from the original site), even re-installed it again, and when I started Emacs to make a shell script and clicked and held the mouse button to move the emacs screen around it made like 100 emacs boxes, a trail of them. It does the same thing with any app I open in there. You maybe correct on the graphics card thing that sounds very logical, I will check that out thanks.

EDIT:::: ahhhh yes, it is a simple setting in the appearance settings, it is right in your face. It says it you have scrolling issues in firefox and other app's click here to fix it. I clicked there and it was fixed lol :) Just made a new shell script in emacs, everything seems good have to try a win xp VM now with the newer BT4 rc1 version and see if it works correctly.

edit:: one more thing, how do I properly shutdown the system, I tried "shutdown --help" but the commands go down the screen to quick to read, is there a way to make the screen go page by page like the CMD /p command so it is possible to read everything?

Edited by 5555

Pipe output from programs to "less" when you want to read 1 screen at a time and be able scroll up and down.

shutdown --help | less

Then to exit type : and then q > enter

Thanks!, it seems to be problem after problem though lol, BT4 final recognized my external western digital mybook HD, but now BT4 rc1 does not. Do I have to manually load the driver or something? Google did not show anything about this or maybe I googled the wrong search terms or something.

edit:: sorry I am retarded today (mixture of alcohol and stress lol), had usb plugged into the wrong machine lol problem solved I will edit this or something later and let you know if Virtual machine is working

Edited by 555