Lug

astromech_kuhns

okay, so i was checking out the LUG's on linux.org, they had some listed close to my area, but not in my town, and not only that, most of the nearby ones are inactive.

i think it would be cool to start and not only that, help move linux forward and get new users. system 76 supports LUG's with flyers and stickers and what not, and i think organises some events.

so i was wondering if any of you on here have ever started or been apart of a LUG? did they seem to be beneficial? also, how well did they work out? like i said, the ones around me are mostly inactive.... do they not last long/run out of hype, or simply did the ones around here maybe not have enough dedicated members?

thats the other thing, i use linux, i have a friend at school that use's linux, and besides that..... nobody. what would be the best course of action to find linux users in my area? i mean there have to be more, i simply dont know how to locate them...

i was thinking flyers at my local library. nerds hang out there ;-D

as for a meeting space, i was also thinking my local library, they have a nice big meeting room, and we may be able to reserve it annually. they have free wifi, and possibly we could get ethernet in there. i have some switches to spread it.

i know a LUG would have helped me, although, i am a very self taught person. but it would have been nice to walk in somewhere, get handed a copy of ubuntu, and help installing it, as well as info about it and open source and answers to my questions. shiplit sends free copy's of ubuntu CD's out, very nice ones to, or we could make our own, bundled with stickers from system76, like the OS one and keyboard logo ones. that would be a cool started kit i think. and we could except donations for the stuff if they like it so we could donate some money back to shiplit for the CD's.

as for a website, im no expert, but $10-$20 for a domain each year and using our internet provider as the host, i could probably build a nice website with a free wysiswyg website builder or just use HTML, i know my basics in it. i think that is all you need, the site code, the host and the domain. domain is all i would be paying for.

so with a website for people to go to and to stay in touch, as well as a meeting space, and flyers to get the word out, i think i could put it together. but suggestions or ideas? do LUG's usually work or even last? have they been beneficial? ideas on how to attract linux users to the LUG and get the word out?

Thanks for reading the long post and for any feedback or thoughts!

I am lucky enough to be a member of a LUG where I live. We actually got Linux Australia to provide us with some space to host our own website.

I also hold a monthly hackerspace under my house for the guys to tinker, and we are also going to be holding additional meetings at the local library. We also promote Free and Open Source software at the local University during it's open day.

so, white and nerdy, you have had good experiences and it worked out, but okiwan it didnt last?

yeah, online doesnt seem to work out to much. seems like the only thing it works for is like, writing a kernel or something......

so what did you do white and nerdy to get people that are linux users to come? how do you locate them?

so, white and nerdy, you have had good experiences and it worked out, but okiwan it didnt last?

yeah, online doesnt seem to work out to much. seems like the only thing it works for is like, writing a kernel or something......

so what did you do white and nerdy to get people that are linux users to come? how do you locate them?

Yeah mate is has been positive for me. Been going for over 12 months now, and we all get along pretty well. Some of the older guys get a bit lost when we nerd right out with more advanced stuff but I totally enjoy it.

Nice. and it turns out, that OSU, the university close to me, does have a very active LUG. they just dont update there website. a alumni that i know told me there active. so i joined there mailing list and they have some events coming up in October. so i will go to that and look at it and see what i think. hopefully i can bring some new ideas to the table. so if this works out i wont need to start one. but it was good to know if they lasted or not.

also, are any of you sponsored by system76? what do you do with new members that are interested? i was thinking a wubi install of ubuntu to get them to try it. then if they like it, a full install. but do you hand out disc's or have one install disc everyone uses?

Edited by astromech_kuhns