DVD Burners

If you told us the make and model of the drive then we could have had a look for you.

Most DVD burners burn both types now but some early ones didn't.

Cheap option, go and buy DVD+R, more expensive option but excuse to upgrade go buy yourself a nice Plextor DVD burning that does everything and anything.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and love the show. I am having a bit of a problem with a friend of mine I'm trying to help. She has a Dell I believe demension E319, it's a newer model with Media Center 64-bit. The problem is her DVD-RW will not read any blank media... well I shouldn't say read, I guess recognize. It spits out every blank disc and asks for a blank one.

I have ran across this problem before and I'm pretty sure it is a registry key, but I cannot remember which one. I have tried deleting upper and lower filter's, but that didn't seem to help. It reads any other disc just fine and she doesn't have a recovery CD. There is a Dell tool (Driver Diagnostic's) tool which I ran to check and it found no problems.

I highly appreciate any help or advice I can get, thanks:)

I accidently bought DVD-R's at Office Depot not knowing that my burner only could burn DVD+R's. Is there a way to get the burner to burn the -R's? do i have to get new discs or a new burner? Thanks, Eytan.

Easiest and cheapest way to fix it is to take them back to Office Depot and swap them for the other format.

It could also be user error. Are you sure you told Nero to use the DVD format? When I first wanted to write a DVD with Nero I found it not to be so obviuse as to how to tell nero I want to be write a DVD.

Not sure if this was directed toward me, but if so, I agree. It took me awhile to realize I needed to switch Nero to write to DVD's and not CD's. Also I'm pretty sure wasn't user error, cause I tried with the built in XP CD Recording software and also Sonic. They all act as if there is no blank media inserted and that's DVD-RW's and CD-R's. I will check for a firmware update next time I work on that PC. Thanks again.

ND-1100A dvd-r one of the first things you get in google - also I remembered reading about it way way back (I think it was) anyway it's risky so well you take your chances with it :(

Oh and the other with the no read blank media have you tried running a disc cleaner through it also make sure the PSU actually is powerful enough to run the system... oh and that it's a Writable drive :D just joking on the last one

ND-1100A dvd-r one of the first things you get in google - also I remembered reading about it way way back (I think it was) anyway it's risky so well you take your chances with it :(

Oh and the other with the no read blank media have you tried running a disc cleaner through it also make sure the PSU actually is powerful enough to run the system... oh and that it's a Writable drive :D just joking on the last one

hahaha. I will check out this modded firmware possibly if all else fails. The PC is actually a brand new Dell Demension E319 I think. Windows XP Media Center Edtion 64-bit, pretty nice system. I have had this problem before and what solved it was a registry key. I had the source of that information bookmarked, but I've re-formatted since then and forgot to backup my bookmarks and now I can't find it again for the life of me. I mainly only see info now saying delete upper and lower filters in a specific key I can't think of off the top of my head and I have tried that with no success. Thanks for all the help guys I have not had a chance to get back with this client of mine to try and resolve her issue, but hopefully I'll figure it out:)