Create own Linux distro?

Al-Coholic

I have googled it for some time and i can only find LFS (linux from Scracth) and thats pretty hard. I have heard that you can make a Installabel ISO fil from youre system with the used of a software but i can't finde the name of it...

My point is. I'll take Ubuntu 6.06 and add and remove software and make a â€personal†version off it on a install disk...

Is there anyone that can help me? (Sorry for my bad bad bad spelling)

/Al-Coholic

If you can get the source code you can do whatever you want to for personal use, I have my own heavily modified versions of Debian, Gentoo and OpenBSD all I did was rewrite chunks of it to suite my needs. If you don’t programme to a professional level it’s not worth doing as small changes in the source code can have big affects for the worse in the finished OS.

There was a linux distro a while back (I think it was called Rock) that claimed to be a frame work for building your own linux distro, you could add or remove stuff etc.

From the sounds of things though you would be better off with a script that you run once you have installed your preferred linux distro which would uninstall what you don't want and install things that you do want from a source.

From the sounds of things though you would be better off with a script that you run once you have installed your preferred linux distro which would uninstall what you don't want and install things that you do want from a source.

That would be the better way if all you want to do is add and remove software.

If you want heavy customization my suggestion is gentoo or freebsd. If you dont want all the fuss then Ive been expirementing heavily with arch linux lately. Its relatively easy to get used to, and I personally think it has superb package management.

while this is mabey not exactly what you're looking for I thought i'd mention it anyway.

slax is a livecd linux distro based on slackware. you can add and remove modules very easily, which means that you can very easily customise it to suit your needs without needing to have too much in the way of technical skills

http://www.slax.org/

a nice tutorial on how to add modules to slax by irongeek, take a look and you'll see how easy it really is

http://irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/myslax

Let me just say that if you feel LFS is hard, you might not be ready to do this just yet. I mean, it takes a while compiling and everything, but all you have to do is follow the guide. What's so hard about that?

Once done you've got a nice, reasonably small OS that can do the most basic of tasks, and then customize it to suit your needs using BLFS.