Help>

Ok, My computer won't turn on, nothing will...no fans, nothing. But the green light on the motherboard is coming on, so it is getting power.

I was searching and someone said something about shorting...How would I go about doing that?

I think it could also be the power supply, I'm not sure.

Easy way I use: locate the power button pins on the motherboard, and put a jumper on them. It should power up, then power down again. If you want it to stay on, put the jumper on, wait till it powers up, then quickly pull it off. Or just get a knife and use that to short the power on.

(edit: forgot to mention this is incase the power button is broken, or the reset button, which i've seen do this before)

Alternatively, pull the ATX connector off of the motherboard, then take a spare piece of wire and connect the green wire on the plug (should be only 1) to any of the black ground wires. As long as that wire is in there, the PSU will be on. Fans should start to spin and harddisks should spin up. If they do not, your PS is shot. If they do spin up, the mobo's fucked.

I've had a processor die on me once. That results in a machine that will spin up harddisks and fans and stuff, but not much else. Since you're not even getting that, I'm guessing it's either Mobo or PSU.

Pfff. When was the last time you saw a manual for any piece of hardware that was more than a glorified commercial for the manufacturor's OTHER products?

Only high-end stuff does that these days. And that stuff tends to not need a "Troubleshooting" section.

Alright, Got a new power supply...Same problem.

My friends got a power supply tester, and if the olds shot, I've heard when the power supply goes out...it can take the mobo with it. So thats my next route I'm thinking.

Step 1: Make sure all wires are connected....if you forgot the additional 4 pin 12v connection on the MB it won't turn on (that is assuming you aren't already using a newer 24pin connector).

Step 2: Swap out your ram with another stick that you know is good, borrow from a friend or another computer in the house, as long as it is compatible. if the ram is bad, there might as well not be any ram in it, this would cause it not to start up.

Step 3: make sure there isn't a short caused by a piece of the case or a peice of stray metal touuching the MB that shouldn't be. Shitty cases are sometimes warped, and will make contact in some areas. I got a free case this way when I worked at this PC repair place, (I told them the case was damaged when we took it out of the box and so they "through it away". They were cheap bastards anyway...)

Step 4: This is where you need to start being carefull, but you need to check your processor, make sure it is seated correctly in the socket (if not it could be damaged). Also make sure you are using compatable hardware (ie: processor and mobo, are compatable, ram is compatable with the mobo) But if it is seated properly, you will need to swap it out with a known good one, or check that cpu in anoter computer. Be carefull when removing it and don't bend the pins, it dosen't take much to bend the pins these days, and also, NEVER force a peice of hardware into anything.

NOTE: you can remove all other hardware just to rule it out of the equation, like the drives and most case fans, leave at least one in there just as an idicator.

Well I know the hardware is compatable because its worked for months(about 4 or 5 since I put some more ram in)with the stuff thats in it now.

But I look for anything that could be touching, cpu, and other hardware componets, thanks.