Broadcom bcm4322

lukeh53

Hey everybody,

I have a new(ish) Dell netbook that i have been running Linux on for a while now and i have finally found the road bump ( or cliff ) that i cant get past. So this netbook was made for XP originally, but i became disillusioned and switched to linux and as of yet things have worked amazingly. The problem is with my wireless internet card. I have a Broadcom bcm4322 and i am running it with the wl driver, which is the Linux version of the driver. After a bit of google-ing and much frustration, i have come to the conclusion that this card does NOT support monitor or injection mode. The driver works for connecting to the internet and such, but for some reason it wont allow virtual interfaces to be made, which makes it very hard to use airodump-ng and aircrack-ng. I was wondering if anyone has had a bit of experience with this, and if you managed to get this to work. I spent the last weekend on Google, trying to find a way to fix this, but haven't had any luck. any help or direction, or even just confirmation that this chipset is crap will be greatly appreciated.

--luk53

Only the older broadcom cards seem to work, and they only did monitor mode, no injection or fragment capabilities. I have one in my Gateway laptop, and does monitor mode and deauths just fine.

I suspect that is the case with yours. You can try BackTrack 2 and 3, as they seemed to work better with my broadcom card than BT4 does(guess its the drivers and kernel setup).

One thing thats funky with this card in linux though, I would have to manually start the radio on and off and reboot a lot when shutting down the card.

Here is what you can try to see if your card works but no garuntee the card has drivers that can do monitor mode: To get into monitor mode, make sure the card is down first!

"ifconfig wlan0 down" or whatever your card is listed under. I remember having to do a modprobe for bcm43xx or something like that to load the different drivers, but not sure if you will need to do that. I dont remember what my broadcom shows up as, but I dont think it was wlan0.

Then do the "iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor" command BEFORE bringing the card up with ifconfig. Then, bring the card up "ifconfig wlan0 up promisc" and you should then be in monitor mode. Again, no injection and fragment capabilities, but you might be able to do basic monitoring mode of traffic and I think deauths and even arp replays.

I havent had a chance to try anything out yet (school/sports till 7) and i need tr re-install the drivers for the card before i can test anything, i just made the switch back to bt3. dont get me wrong, bt4 is awesome, but untill i can get some good wireless interneting going on im sticking with 3. ill post back when i get some results.

thanks again,

--luk53

New broadcoms don't support monitor / inject mode because the drivers available aren't open-source. You're gonna have to pay for an adapter if you wanna do some wifoo on that netbook. Trust me, I have a dell with one too :/