Zipit2 wireless files

Retro-Starr

I got it to work now, thank you. I have a problem when I start x I can't right click (the square) so I have to restart to drop back to terminal. Also can't seem to get wifi, have WEP so I do
iwconfig eth1 essid "<error 411>" key s:<key_here>

then dhclient eth1 and get no IP...

For the right click thing, you have to move the mouse before you can right click. You also have to be holding down the smiley face button while you click.

If anybody knows why I can't turn off my zipit would you please tell me how. After I flashed it the first time I have to take out the battery to turn it off.

Thank you in advance!

you just have to press the reset button in the side with something small and sharp (i use mechanical pencil lead)

you can also use the shutdown command at the prompt, but it takes a minute or two to actually shut down.

you just have to press the reset button in the side with something small and sharp (i use mechanical pencil lead)

you can also use the shutdown command at the prompt, but it takes a minute or two to actually shut down.

I prefer to run

init 0

to shutdown my zipit. Quicker to type.

For the right click thing, you have to move the mouse before you can right click. You also have to be holding down the smiley face button while you click.

Thanks that worked for me, don't know if they mentioned that or not (maybe implied).

Has anybody tried zipit on WEP-based wifi or WPA-based?

Like the "init 0", works really fast.

Thanks that worked for me, don't know if they mentioned that or not (maybe implied).

Has anybody tried zipit on WEP-based wifi or WPA-based?

Like the "init 0", works really fast.

I am connected to a WPA AP right now on my Zipit. You do realize that you cannot connect to a WPA/WPA2 AP with the iwconfig line that was given to you before, right? You must use wpa_supplicant for that.

OMG I was doing it wrong! I don't know why I was trying to say the passwd was a string (the key s:) as WEP doesn't do strings. So basically get rid of "s:" and it works. Now if "chmod +777" libertas helped, I don't know. Funny how such a simple thing can throw lots of people off! lol

I was actually attempting to connect via WEP btw, but how would you get wpa_supplicant if you can't get online just incase others might inquire about it?

Thank you to everybody that replied!

OMG I was doing it wrong! I don't know why I was trying to say the passwd was a string (the key s:) as WEP doesn't do strings. So basically get rid of "s:" and it works. Now if "chmod +777" libertas helped, I don't know. Funny how such a simple thing can throw lots of people off! lol

I was actually attempting to connect via WEP btw, but how would you get wpa_supplicant if you can't get online just incase others might inquire about it?

Thank you to everybody that replied!

I think my device came with the wpa_supplicant installed already. I cannot remember for sure though. Type wpa_cli --help and see if anything comes up. If you get a help page, well then it is already installed. If not, just change your AP to WEP and login, do an apt-get install wpa_supplicant, then change your AP back to WPA.

i use mine with WEP encrypted wifi

type

iwconfig eth1 key mykey

during wireless setup to use it

p.s. this was posted from my zipit

A little off topic, but what web browser are you using? Links2 has been my favorite, but doesn't do javascript. Elinks doesn't have a graphics mode so doesn't show images. Dillo is ok. Everything else that I have used is not lightweight enough.

I attempted to install wpasupplicant (found out it's not wpa_supplicant), but it said already installed. I don't know if it was because I updated the Open Zipit OS.

I created a new thread for you guys to post what you use and such if you'd like to post there, kinda get it going =].

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
a little off topic, but you can get a ssh server running on the zipit with the following commands:

apt-get install ssh

/usr/sbin/sshd -f /etc/ssh/sshd_config -q

now you don't have to use that tiny keyboard all the time! Yay!

I had a bit of an issue doing this:

I'm using the rootnexus userland.

http://zipit.rootnexus.org/

I needed to get into terminal and SU to root.

Segmentation Faultsts...

Found some files in /var/cache/apt/*.bin which I deleted. Now any apt-gets take like 2 hours to get to 98%, then segmentation fault again.

Just my experience.

I had a bit of an issue doing this:

I'm using the rootnexus userland.

http://zipit.rootnexus.org/

I needed to get into terminal and SU to root.

Segmentation Faultsts...

Found some files in /var/cache/apt/*.bin which I deleted. Now any apt-gets take like 2 hours to get to 98%, then segmentation fault again.

Just my experience.

I'm using aliosa

• 2 weeks later...