Zipit2 wireless files

Retro-Starr

So it turns out that I forgot to copy the damn wireless files, but I remembered to rename it. I did the Windows way so I already overwrote the files. I was wondering if anybody still has a copy because this seriously sucks. I already tried reformatting to FAT32 and starting over, but I only got the z2script.sh file.

If anybody knows why I can't turn off my zipit would you please tell me how. After I flashed it the first time I have to take out the battery to turn it off.

Thank you in advance!

I imaging that if you are running linux, ou need to open a terminal and do ashutdown.

shutdown -h now

Or prefix with sudo if its installed

sudo shutdown -h now

Meanwhile as I await my saviour to post the wireless files, can I install the rest of Debian and at a later time update the wireless yes? If yes, I'd like to setup games and the such on the zipit2 so it can be useful in the meanwhile. Thing is, is that I'm not really good with linux so I don't know how to transfer setup files if that is at all possible.

I think as long as you successfully flashed the bootloader, you are still good. What's really happening (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong please) is that you are telling the Zipit to look on the miniSD card to boot from. It's kinda like a live CD (or booting off a flash drive). I've got all the files from my hack, are the ones you need gpsi8686.bin and gspi8686_hlp.bin?

it takes a bit. for me it did nothing, then blinked off, then I got the blank bootloader screen again, and then got the login prompt. see if the light on the front is blinking, that means that its reading from the card. total time from cold boot to login is maybe 30 seconds or something.

I got it to work now, thank you. I have a problem when I start x I can't right click (the square) so I have to restart to drop back to terminal. Also can't seem to get wifi, have WEP so I do

iwconfig eth1 essid "<error 411>" key s:<key_here>

then dhclient eth1 and get no IP...

when I still get 0 kb/s for my bit rate (according to iwconfig). It looked like you had me setup in a different order except for that last command which was "dhclient3", even doing it without the "3" gets me the same results.

"No working leases in persistent database - sleeping."

That's the final line of dhclient no matter what. Posting if it's useful...

yeah, i didn't know if doing it separately would help or not. Here's a thread I found that might be helpful

:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=264614

Specifically, this step:

Make Sure dhclient Is Not Confused

I've read that dhclient can get confused if you switch between using your ethernet interface and your wireless interface. The result is frequent dropped wireless connections or the inability to connect wirelessly.

You can see what interfaces are currently configured by dhcp by looking in the folder /var/run. In that folder you may see files which indicate that dhclient is currently configured for interfaces. i.e. you may see /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid

(1) Bring both the ethernet and wireless interfaces down by using:

ifconfig YOUR_INTERFACE down

(2) Kill dhclient to make sure it's not running using:

killall -9 dhclient.pid

kill all -9 dhclient.YOUR_INTERFACE.pid

(3)Also, clean things up by removing the dhclient pid's from /var/run by using:

rm -f /var/run/dhclient.YOUR_INTERFACE.pid

(4) Use a text editor to clear ALL text from var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases and /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.YOUR_INTERFACE.leases

(5) By now, dhclient should have been thoroughly killed. Use ifconfig to bring only the wireless interface back up. If you have a network applet in your task bar, you should notice your wireless interface being set up.

(6) After a minute or two, check /var/log/daemon.log, var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases, and /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.YOUR_INTERFACE.leases to see if dhclient is making any progress in getting an ip address from your access point.

you can use the command line text editor nano to edit those text files if the mouse still isn't working well. If this stuff doesn't work, then I'd suggest asking on the debian forums since they will be able to give you more specific help than I will.

In the hak5 video is said connect to open wireless, do you really have to? I can't seem to find an open wifi around my house; I tried setting up open ad-hoc, but that didn't work for some reason. Is there a command that I can do that will search for a specific ssid? I know of

iwlist eth1 scan

but I get too many entries and I don't have the pipe so I can't do "less" with it.

In the hak5 video is said connect to open wireless, do you really have to? I can't seem to find an open wifi around my house; I tried setting up open ad-hoc, but that didn't work for some reason. Is there a command that I can do that will search for a specific ssid? I know of

iwlist eth1 scan

but I get too many entries and I don't have the pipe so I can't do "less" with it.

Your answer is grep - LINKY - Grep is a unix tool that allows you to parse and search data

sorry, the pipe is: alt+that_little_smiley_face_button_that_you_use_to_control_the_mouse

(when you haven't done startx)

i didn't have my zipit at the time of the last post and my memory's a little sketchy but is correct when you're accessing bash through fluxbox