Fuck You, I Won't Do What You Tell Me

moonlit

A Facebook group (hear me out) is aiming to keep contestents of the X-Factor "talent" show off the charts in the UK this Christmas by running up the numbers for Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name in the download charts this festive season. Simon Cowell is quoted as saying it's "stupid" and "cynical". I say it's an appropriate cheap, easy, legal way of proving a point. Will anyone listen? That's another matter, but it's hardly worthy of a physical protest.

Guardian article.

NME article against and NME article in support.

Won't change any thing... nore will the people who watch x-fator pay any attention and or know about this.

You know what else I hate? Any thing that sounds like this:

at least he's self deprecating. I swear any time I hear it my IQ drops 3 more points and I get a head ache (in that order).

Like... what?? You are going to buy some old song to christmas number 1 on some list?

What's the point? What's the gain? I have seen better though out (for the lack of a better word) "raids" on 4chan.

I mean just because some no body said something about some random band... meh, why am I even trying to understand this... go nuts, please break a leg.

I wouldn't say this is a "raid", people are just getting a bit bored with the same old poppy guaranteed certain number one hit from some guy (or girl) who got there on nothing but a (allegedly rigged) phone vote on some really quite dull TV show. I can understand both sides of the argument, for example it's fairly likely that whichever record you buy Cowell will get a cut somehow, and he might well be right in saying that it does more damage to the "contestants" than him, but on the other hand I can see why people would want to upset that with a track which means a lot to a lot of people, something with feeling and energy, not just another crap cover or weak attempt to make a quick buck on the number one christmas single for yet another year running.

How does one participate in the chart manipulation? You download rage against the machines song from some place that compares it to some other list? I mean, Im all for it, don't get me wrong, Rage is the shit, but how do you physically manipulate the ratings? Is there a specific site thats keeping track of this?

p.s. - Great album and song! if you don't know who RATM are, get a clue.

Basically, from the week beginning 13th December, all sales of that particular single will result in its place in the charts, I'm guessing that since the physical CD isn't currently being sold it wouldn't count, so download it is. Where exactly counts I don't quite know, but I imagine Amazon and iTunes would be among those which do. Another point though is that it will only count if it's purchased from a UK vendor.