getting started

Darkmist!

ive been perusing the forums for a while now and i havent seen a topic like this one

i want to get into supporting an enterprise network but i do not have the hardware to do so nor do i feel comfortable going into a job as an admin without some practice behind the wheel. im just graduating college with a bachelors but unfortunately a lot of what ive done is theoretical and learning from books instead of hands on hardware.

i wish to make several virtual machines with an AD, DNS, DHCP, etc.. and make them secured as well as monitor traffic between them.

is there any software out there taht will emulate standard users network usage so that i can have, oh lets say 15 or so, users generating data back and forth?

if so is it free or do i have to pay a fee for it.

i can get student copies of all the microsoft OS's through dreamspark for free so i dont need to purchase the software

any advice would be sweet

my main server will be the basic VMware Os that matt talked about. it will have 8 GB of ram with an intel q6600 quad core processor air overclocked to 3.5 ghz. i have an evga 780i chipset mobo that i believe will handle the virtualization.

any advice or tips is greatly appreciated

Well, you'd need 2 server OS's and 15 client machines, which is a bit to much for that machine. TBH, if you have no experience then it would be better to do the following, Setup 2 sites, create a VPN between them, run a domain controller and dhcp server on each site and learn how to setup AD properly to support this.

Well, you'd need 2 server OS's and 15 client machines, which is a bit to much for that machine. TBH, if you have no experience then it would be better to do the following, Setup 2 sites, create a VPN between them, run a domain controller and dhcp server on each site and learn how to setup AD properly to support this.

ok thanks. ill be setting it up and letting all know how it goes

I have a cheap dual core box on my desk that I run a headless install of Windows Server 2003 and it is set up as a domain controller. I then use it to host a couple of vm's as clients and another few on my desktop. It helps you get the idea. Make sure you read up on anything you don't understand. Too many people can go click click next next in a wizard but don't understand what they are doing. If you don't know it makes it harder to troubleshoot.

I have a cheap dual core box on my desk that I run a headless install of Windows Server 2003 and it is set up as a domain controller. I then use it to host a couple of vm's as clients and another few on my desktop. It helps you get the idea. Make sure you read up on anything you don't understand. Too many people can go click click next next in a wizard but don't understand what they are doing. If you don't know it makes it harder to troubleshoot.

WORD.

i also just unlocked free training from the dreamspark website. i only have a quarter left in school so i gotta hurry up and load up as much knowlege as possible. its funny. i took most of my core IS courses in the middle of my 4 years and ive been on gen eds for the last year. my knowlege is getting fuzzy so im trying my best to stay up on it

You can keep using Dreamspark licences after your enrollment in the program ends. You just dont get anything new, and you can only use it for educational purposes.

i have had to re-authorize several times using my school email. if my school deletes my email then i cant re-authorize and get the software/training. or at least thats what i gather from looking at it. i think that if i log in enough i can keep it authorized. the school email is based off of the live.com email sign in.

Well I was in the high-school program, which might be a bit different, but we got a key to enter into the site, which gave us one year of access. Need another key every year.

If you download everything on the site, and store the keys for them, you can still use them after your enrollment in Dreamspark ends.

Well I was in the high-school program, which might be a bit different, but we got a key to enter into the site, which gave us one year of access. Need another key every year.

If you download everything on the site, and store the keys for them, you can still use them after your enrollment in Dreamspark ends.

oh word. thanks

My employer gives us free online access to all the training materials for most IT certifications avalable Microsoft, cisco, comptia etc. Just study yourself, and if you pass the test they pay for it.

Absolutely. This should be considered beside any other benefits offered at a potential employer. My boss just started doing this, and believe me I am using it.