How to DDoS attack

I know the Denial of Service attack is frowned on and considered for script kiddys and lamers but I would like to know how it is performed.. is it "the ping of death" on a repeat loop with a .bat program? can it be done anonymously, and is there allready a program for that or is it something you need to self code? I am not planning some kind of DDoS attack, but am going to college for computer science and am interested about learning more about it.. and yes I have googled "DDoS attack" allready but the results did not really tell me how it is performed or what programs people use for it, or in-depth knowledge about them.. thanks

Well it usually comes from more then one computer, a botnet is usually involved, and then all they do is try to send out as many requests to the server or site in question, so it's flooded with requests that it cannot work for it's usually users.

Beyond that though it definately heads into black hat territory.

How many PC's or bandwidth would it take to effectively down a site or persons IP? I have heard of alot of European internet providers which have limited bandwidth, so someone with unlimited bandwidth could knock them off the net for a month until they got their next allowed amount of bandwidth?

Well.. When you do a Ddos, it's generally a draw of three things.

1. How many nodes to botnet

2. How fast the average connection is

3. How congested is said networks and etc.

I know from experience 100mbps connection will NOT lock up, but will REALLY bog down a Pentium D @ 2.8ghz with one node doing the ddos (on my own network of course though so that is an ideal situation)

If your going for a gateway Ddos (i.e. the router or modem) then you are going to need a lot more as that hardware is specifically built to handle a lot of traffic both ways and switching.. 2 100mb ethernet computers and 1 54mb wifi connection cant down my wrt54g, so you'll need more firepower for more of the newer ones for sure.

If your just testing and do not want to get your hands too dirty, then I suggest nettools (just search for it you'll find it). It's a pretty neat all in one fuck around program. I cannot say that it's a pure pen testing suite because it's all just premade stuff without any extra input but it does have a few examples of ddos programs built in it (you will have to find which one works the best though.... I think the only one that I got to work was the Extreme UDP flooder)

Does Backtrack 3 or 4 have a ddos feature? I have used it a little to play with and try to crack my own wifi but not to try a ddos yet. What is the best technique to ddos? I have heard about the ping of death is that cmd (ping -l 65550 VICTIM?), and 300 character strings being sent to certain ports, ect.. or does it all depend on what is installed on their system to exploit some kind of remote command repetitive times until all their bandwidth is used up or their pc cant handle all the info comeing in?

There have been a couple of threads on the borderline and this is one of them. There is no magic DDoS button (well, that's debatable, but there isn't one in Backtrack) and it's illegal in many places. There is, as jjhappypants pointed out, no legitimate use for this and explaining outright how to DDoS would undoubtably result in people taking the instructions and actually doing it. In addition, there is no way we could know whether you want to do this to yourself or someone else. I did go back and forth on whether to lock this, but at this point, you're pretty much asking for step by step instructions.

There's plenty of material online relating to this topic, and it's not something these forums promote, encourage or assist with. Do a little research and you'll find out all you need to know.

Locked.