Whats a good duplicate file finder?

jake

If you're using Windows, from command prompt use: dir /s

• 1 year later...

I need a program that will can a folder/HD and locate all duplicate copies of a file. any ideas of a good free one??

i frequent an image board and use flashgot to download massive amounts of pics at a time and end up with a lot of duplicates with different filenames.

best tool ive found is clone remover

http://www.moleskinsoft.com/index.php?p=download

the free version has a delay before each use (last time i had to wait 90 seconds to use the program) and only allows you to remove 20 files at a time. the program basically scans w/e folders you tell it to for files with the same contents. it will then list those files and you can check off the ones you want to remove and it gives you the option to send them to the recycle bin or remove them completely.

i use it under the free version. basically it gives me my list. i check off 20 items. remove them. rescan the files. and repeat until i have no more duplicates.

edit:

oh good lord i just noticed how old the OP is >.> topic necromancy ftl

Edited by RogueHart

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Ever think of using vbox with a distro like Knoppix which is loaded with GNU apps to find dup. files. Seems like your looking around for a utility that can perform binary comparisons. It exists in Linux and its free. You can figure it out...rather than pick your nose with the shareware.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a simple one:

OUTF=duplicates.sh;
echo "#! /bin/sh" > $OUTF;
find "$@" -type f -print0 |
xargs -0 -n1 md5sum |
sort --key=1,32 | uniq -w 32 -d --all-repeated=separate |
sed -r 's/^[0-9a-f]*( )*//;s/([^a-zA-Z0-9./_-])/\\\1/g;s/(.+)/#rm \1/' >> $OUTF;
chmod a+x $OUTF; ls -l $OUTF

Change

sed -r 's/^[0-9a-f]*( )*//;s/([^a-zA-Z0-9./_-])/\\\1/g;s/(.+)/#rm \1/' >> $OUTF;

to

sed -r 's/^[0-9a-f]*( )*//;s/([^a-zA-Z0-9./_-])/\\\1/g;s/(.+)/rm \1/' >> $OUTF;

if you wish to delete it when running the shell-script it creates (duplicates.sh).

On windows? Well, mount your win-drive over smb and run it from a *nix system or cygwin it from within windows.