Testing a Powersupply

Webhostbudd

I have this old HP computer from around 2004 that is having what I think to be power supply issues. When I test the powersupply with a multimeter, the voltage output seems to meet ATX 2.2 specs. The thing is, the computer will randomly power down during peaks in activity and I have no way of figuring out what is causing it. I have tried CPU burn and a GPU stress tester, but none of these programs can cause the computer enough strain to shut down. I've tried two completely different graphics cards and the computer is still shutting down. I've checked the motherboard to make sure everything is seated properly and even reseated the RAM. I have a spare corsair VX550 sitting around but I need a test to prove that the power supply is the cause of the issues. Any ideas?

Maybe try some encoding jobs on the PC. Its more than enough strain on my old Dell laptop *scowl*.

I laughed when I saw the name of this thread, as just a few hours ago, I was working on my friends old PC (thinking about turning it into a linux file server, for personal use) and i stupidly didn't plug my hard drive in correctly, must of been partially out. I turned it on, didnt find the hard drive, pushing the power cable in some more (while the PC is on..) and POP! Wont turn on at all now..

Does it do it with every mother board you hook it up to? If so trash the PSU and get a new one.

I haven't tried hooking up another motherboard because I don't have one to spare. I'm not sure If it would be a great idea to hook up the power supply to my gaming rig, especially considering what is in it. The other problem is, I have no way to knowing if it will crash again because I haven't been able to get it to crash in 3 days of running extensive processes on it. Even if I did have another motherboard I wouldn't know if it would crash.