Best method?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. SOCKS

• VPN
    • Hamachi
    • Web proxy
    • TOR
    • Other

I have friends who have lived in China their whole lives, within the past few weeks they've been talking with me trying to find the easiest way for them to circumvent the Great Firewall of China. In the past it wasn't a big burden for them, the wall didn't block anything they cared about, although recently they've been cut off of Hulu. Ouch.

I've already set up a simple web proxy in the past that stripped and obfuscated as much information as possible, the firewall is so inconsistent it is hard to tell exactly what it's filtering. The bad part about the proxy is that it won't stream video or sound, bummer. Now I'm torn on what else I could do, I've done VPNs before, but I'm wondering that with my 1mbit upload, how well will I be able to host streaming video? Will higher encryption slow the speed down? Which of the choices out there will be the fastest?

I've had experience with a good amount of the proxies out there, nothing really of this caliber, just me being paranoid at Hotspots. I was hoping to get some assistance from somebody out there with experience with proxies, possibly even other digital asylum hosts out there.

Thanks in advance for any input.

What if they get a shell account with a website host outside china, then ssh in and tunnel all their traffic? Thats what I would try first before sharing my home connection as a vpn with people.

As a similar question, would the advice be the same for someone trying to get OUT of the US?

I have a friend who is trying to watch motor bike races on WorldSBK, but it blocks us unfortunate USers out.

Get a shell account with a UK hosting company and SSH through?

I would say yes. I can't see why it wouldn't work other than horrible bandwidth for larger files and buffering video. My website server is on the west coast and I live on the east coast, but I use it for stuff all the time with no noticable bandwidth issues. If anything, its a tad bit faster for things like torrents.