iPhone users

iPhone users,

If you don't already do this, make restore points of your phone in iTunes.

Please, do not be a huge idiot like me and have to start over because your maps app got corrupted (as mine did). If I would have been smart, I would of had a recent back up, and could have restored to a known good point, then synced my apps over too (you're syncing your apps also, right?)

Keep in mind that restore points do not cover apps, so if you're like me and have an app with a long list of "to read" books, not only will you lose that list, but you will also realize that app is no longer free!

Curses!

I digress, if anyone has any questions or concerns about how to create these points, or best practices on making sure you don't lose any data to a random act of corruption, let me know, I am now an expert as I've had to do everything since I didn't do it right the first time :).

Thanks,

-Brian

Keep in mind, the amount of times the blackberry sync software screwed it up and I had to keep taking it back to the store.

So far, the only trouble I have had with my iPhone is when I tried to jailbreak it without reading the instructions, which is my fault. I fixed it though.

I know there can be blackberry issues, a mate of mine had som after installing some dodgy themes. I dont really hate the iphone, just the trendiness of them i guess. I fuckin love my bold though!

well i got one NOT for the trendiness or the douchey APPLE IZ R0XX04!! but

A) My dad found it and i got it free (16GB 3G)

B) its easier than a phone and psp for media

C) my other phone battery lasted

D) the apps are great

E) FIRMWARE 3.0 FTW

but ya, thats about it

hmmm i would have loved to buy a iphone but my gf hates them so much she bought me a phone as a christmas present and gave it to me 2 months early to keep me from buying one

G1 is quite nice too but would like to see the new G2 coming out

BTW, this is the first issue I've had with my phone since I've had it.

I am in no way trying to discourage potential iPhone users, my review has been (and still is) that this phone does everything I need, and it does all of those things well.

My point was merely that all users should be backing up their phone and apps, so that if this incredibly rare incidence happens you'll escape unscathed.

However if you don't have one, you may want to wait according to THIS (very useful) buyers guide :).

Keep in mind that restore points do not cover apps, so if you're like me and have an app with a long list of "to read" books, not only will you lose that list, but you will also realize that app is no longer free!

I'm curious about this point. If you download something from the app store, then you own it and wont be charged for it if you download it again, even if it was free the first time and now is not.

Example. Buy a free app and install it on phone.

Lose phone

Buy new phone

Download same app, a message appears telling you that it's free as you have already bought it, the current price is no longer relevant.

How do your "maps become corrupted." That doesn't even make sense to me as an iPhone user for over a year, nor an iPhone developer.

The iPhone backups every time you sync..., and backups do in fact restore app information. So I have no idea what you're talking about here and apparently the blackberry/winmo users here ate it up. Did you never sync your iPhone?

hmmm i would have loved to buy a iphone but my gf hates them so much she bought me a phone as a christmas present and gave it to me 2 months early to keep me from buying one

G1 is quite nice too but would like to see the new G2 coming out

You sound whipped...., :P what does some random girl? How can she "hate it" and why does she make your choices for you. It's not about if she hates it -- if you want it and like it, then that's all that matters.

I'm curious about this point. If you download something from the app store, then you own it and wont be charged for it if you download it again, even if it was free the first time and now is not.

Example. Buy a free app and install it on phone.

Lose phone

Buy new phone

Download same app, a message appears telling you that it's free as you have already bought it, the current price is no longer relevant.

Yes, purchases are linked to your iTunes account and can be downloaded multiple times to five devices that you have linked to the same account. In 3.0, only one account cant be linked at a time..., but that's not the case now.

The iPhone platform has been out for two years now! How come people don't know this stuff?!

I digress, if anyone has any questions or concerns about how to create these points, or best practices on making sure you don't lose any data to a random act of corruption, let me know, I am now an expert as I've had to do everything since I didn't do it right the first time :).

Thanks,

-Brian

I'm gonna have to ask then, how exactly does one create a restore point on an iphone that functions in the way you describe?

The only 'restore points' that I am familiar with is on Windows XP and up, that allow for a sort of rollback of the OS to undo changes made by drivers and apps. I always turn that function off as is make installing something slower than it needs to be, but I'm sure that's not what we are talking about here.

It cant be the backup process performed by iTunes, because that does backup applications and their save data, so I'm stumped.

I'm gonna have to ask then, how exactly does one create a restore point on an iphone that functions in the way you describe?

The only 'restore points' that I am familiar with is on Windows XP and up, that allow for a sort of rollback of the OS to undo changes made by drivers and apps. I always turn that function off as is make installing something slower than it needs to be, but I'm sure that's not what we are talking about here.

It cant be the backup process performed by iTunes, because that does backup applications and their save data, so I'm stumped.

iTunes does backup application data when it performs a backup of your phone. In order to restore this data, you have to "restore" the phone when you plug it in, the restore will do its thing, it will ask to be plugged into iTunes (hopefully it still is), then it will ask if you want to "Set up as a new iPhone" or "Restore from a backup," select backup, select which back up, then let it do it's thing.

It even says so itself in Apple's Knowledge Base Article.

With iPhone 2.0 and later

• Managed Configurations/Profiles
  • List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync)
  • Microsoft Exchange account configurations
  • Nike+iPod saved workouts and settings
  • App Store Application data (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).

By "except the application itself" it means, if you don't sync the application, it won't sync your backed up app store data. It's like an AND gate, 1 ^ 1 = 1 and nothing else.

Your analogy to Windows XP "restore points" is wrong, it's much more like OS X's Time Machine if you save each backup individually. It restores the phone exactly how it was when the backup is made (except App icon placement). Backups are created every time you sync, unless less than 5% of your data has been changed or something like that. If you wanna force backup creation, there is a how to in the Knowledge Base article I gave you earlier.

Last, your warning about "maps corrupting the iPhone" doesn't make sense..., are you sure that's what caused it? Again, I must press, app redownloads are free -- it's linked to your account. Last, if you don't use an iPhone, don't I wouldn't take this guy's anecdote as truth.

Lol, it makes me wonder, did you think I didn't try to download the app again at the higher price point to see if it would work?

It doesn't work for a fact, because I tried it, and it doesn't work. Any theoretical strength of the system is irrelevant.

No, I wasn't syncing my phone, I charge it over night and I do not leave my computer on, so I charge externally. I don't do much with music any more, so, it SEEMED that there was no reason to sync. Evidently that was not the case.

To force a back up your phone, plug in to iTunes, right click on your device, and click backup. I believe it was said above this happens every time you sync, that seems to be true. I would say that restore points or time machine are sufficient analogies, restore point is a better one since time machine is much more full featured, restore point just gives you points in time. That's a bit of a pointless argument, as a backup is a backup, they all do the same thing, leaving the floor open to say it's most like ghost.

You're misunderstanding about the corruption, maps didn't corrupt my iPhone, maps itself got corrupted. IE, app didn't work, just gave me the "legal notices" screen. Unfortunately, there was no way that I found to reinstall a preinstalled app.

Ultimately, this was just to wisen up anyone who was doing the same foolish things I was doing, If you're already following iPhone best practices, pat yourself on the back :).

-B