Help with a server

Famicoman

I have Windows Server 2003, now fully updated, and have some questions. I am going to install Apache, but don't know if exactly what I need as the domain and server name. I read that you should put "localhost" for both. I am also going to install PHP. I am going to use this server, at least to start with, for a PHP proxy. Will I just http "my ip/phpproxy.php". I have read several tutorials, but none follow through to the end, only instalation customization, and where to install/ download everything. Thanks in advance.

http://www.ubuntu.com/server

download that, when you boot it it ask if you would like to install LAMP server, a lamp server is Linux Apache MySQL and PHP. Much easier, then I can help you out from there.

In about 15 minutes, the time it takes to install Ubuntu Server Edition, you can have a LAMP server up and ready to go. This feature, exclusive to Ubuntu Server Edition, is available at the time of installation.

The LAMP option saves the trouble of installing and integrating each of the four separate LAMP components, a process which can take hours and requires someone who is skilled in the installation and configuration of the individual applications. You get increased security, reduced time to install, and reduced risk of misconfiguration, all of which results in a lower cost of ownership.

Ubuntu server is ok, its quite fun, but the auto LAMP setup is pretty bad, its much better to install the programs yourself, make sure that you only have what you need and you know whats going on.

I would recommend Suse 10.1 for people new to setting up server. Its not the lightest distro at the moment but for people new to linux then Yast makes it very easy for them to administer aspects of the computer with a little knowledge of where all the files are.

I dislike Ubuntu and all variants of Debian as they are mostly bloated, I say just do a minimum Debian install and Apt-get anything you need.

I like to do minimal installs with just the things that I need and Slackware, Debian, OpenBSD and Gentoo fill those needs.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Installs Apache, PHP, MySQL in minutes on win2003, works like a charm and is piss easy to set up. Try it. People will always say linux, and it probally is a better idea in the long run, if you have time to learn how to configure it. But i'm guessing that if you want win2003 advice, thats what your looking for. And this works well.

I just installed Windows Server 2003 and am wondering if:

A)I am supposed to put "localhost" as the domain name and server name.

B)How I would access via Http

Oh whoa famicoman I just noticed you joined these forums, I'm Nick from the unforgiving's one.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I ditched Apache for now. tonight, I found Abyss, and got serious in that. I have it running ff of one of my boxes. I found out that my ISP was blocking Port 80 output, so I re-routed to 8080, and it cleaned up well. I don't know if Apache has configuration of the output port, but I will check on another box later. If so, I'll move it to there. So, here is what I have

http://oodlesofpoodles.kicks-ass.net:8080

Now I can rest easy.

[/url]