Dell Remote Access

G-Stress

Recently I found that the dell remote access utility on all the new dells causes packet loss right out of the box. It seems to be related to a service that is associated with that utility. A service called Advanced Networking Service I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this and if they found a way around it. What I did was just disable the service, because the owner wasn't using it anyway.

Also what I see alot is Vista 64-bit right out of the box with any broadband connection causes packet loss unless in safe mode with networking. I don't run 64-bit myself so I can't really find a work around, but thought I'd post and see if anyone else has experienced any of the following. I'm also bored and a bit buzzed at the moment... ahhhh seagrams vadka... hope I spelled that right ;)

You should never have it installed unless a support technician is helping you. Why?...

a) Why do you need it on the computer if you are not in need of support?

b) When you recieve support that requires the use of dell remote access the technician helping you well have you go and install it anyway first thing, even if you've already installed it, so its pointless having it installed ahead of time.

c) Its basically bloatware when not in use. So is a lot of other additional software they pre-load on there such as Dell support or url assitant.

You should never have it installed unless a support technician is helping you. Why?...

a) Why do you need it on the computer if you are not in need of support?

B) When you recieve support that requires the use of dell remote access the technician helping you well have you go and install it anyway first thing, even if you've already installed it, so its pointless having it installed ahead of time.

c) Its basically bloatware when not in use. So is a lot of other additional software they pre-load on there such as Dell support or url assitant.

A, it's not bloatware it's actually about 33MB so its not that bad at all

B, You do not not know what you are talking about, because when he needs help it be that much less time and

stress that tech and the user has to go through when support is provided. Also the Dell support tool has some pretty

useful functions. Also, the Citrix connect that they use is a seperat piece of software that is downloaded and installed while the tech is attempting to remote access into your system

Apologies, bloatware was the wrong term to use. If annoywares a term than thats what I'd label it. If you feel you need it then great. To me its one extra thing I dont want starting up with my system and bugging me. I've stated opinion more or less. If you feel its useful by all means continue using it.

Apologies, bloatware was the wrong term to use. If annoywares a term than thats what I'd label it. If you feel you need it then great. To me its one extra thing I dont want starting up with my system and bugging me. I've stated opinion more or less. If you feel its useful by all means continue using it.

Anything the OEM manufacturer installs beyond Windows and the appropriate drivers should be labeled bloatware. If it doesn't come on the windows CD and it's not there to enable unique hardware, you don't have a clean install.

Bloatware is the correct term in my opinion.

Anything the OEM manufacturer installs beyond Windows and the appropriate drivers should be labeled bloatware. If it doesn't come on the windows CD and it's not there to enable unique hardware, you don't have a clean install.

Bloatware is the correct term in my opinion.

Still wrong:

Software bloat, also known as bloatware, is a term used in both a neutral and disparaging sense, to describe the tendency of newer computer programs to be larger, or to use larger amounts of system resources (mass storage space, processing power or memory) than necessary for the same or similar benefits from older versions to its users. Additionally, the term bloatware is used in common language for pre-installed, huge software bundles, mostly consisting of demos and trial ware.

Technically by your definition anything including programs you install is bloatware

I don't use the Dell Remote Access tool, I was just curious if anyone else used it and experienced the same issues I saw previously. It was a friends PC, not my own. It seems that the utility uses Ultravnc or RDP to connect. I only messed around with it the day I started this thread, besides the time I took a look at my friends pc.

What was going on was he was experiencing major packet loss and after process of elimination I disabled the Advanced Networking Service and all was fine. I've experienced this on 2 different lap-top's now both running Vista Home Premium.

It may be that the software shipped with the laptop wasnt updated and contains a few bugs or what have you causing the problems your describing. Like I stated earlier its just better removing it. Should your friend need it support well give him/her step-by-step instructions over the phone to download/install it, and it also ensures they've got the latest version which is what the support technican on the other end well want you to have.

I don't use the Dell Remote Access tool, I was just curious if anyone else used it and experienced the same issues I saw previously. It was a friends PC, not my own. It seems that the utility uses Ultravnc or RDP to connect. I only messed around with it the day I started this thread, besides the time I took a look at my friends pc.

What was going on was he was experiencing major packet loss and after process of elimination I disabled the Advanced Networking Service and all was fine. I've experienced this on 2 different lap-top's now both running Vista Home Premium.

Hey, do you know if these machines were directly connected to the Internet ? I experienced the same issue and Dell Support had me upgrade to the latest version (1.2). Try uninstalling the application and install the latest by going to the link below.

http://downloads.dellremoteaccess.com/ra_setup.msi

Hope this helps you out.

hmmm... I'll keep that in mind if I see it again. Yes these machines were both directly connected to the internet via cable modem. Another guy I know well said he experienced the same only when they put a NAT router in the equasion (<-- I know I messed that word up) everything worked fine.

I ran it in a VM here running XP and didn't have any issues, I been meaning to try directly connected, but haven't had a chance yet.