i need help with bochs

neowhitehat

ok heres what i need: a step by step guide in dumb guy speek because im not that good with linux or any command line prog for that matter. im lucky u can use nmap and ping. but when it comes to strictly command progs it like im reading anchient egyption or some other dead language. so if any one can help me plz help me. ( im trying to run a iso of win 98 on winxp fyi) i already have the iso file and a boot iso file for it

thanks

I don't even know what you are asking for.

From the sounds of it you need to cheak out Google anyway, and then you need to read the documentation of the programs that you are using, they will have all the commands and syntax that you need to use to run their programs in the command line.

From what I understand he is trying to run Windows 98 in a virtual machine using Bochs(http://bochs.sourceforge.net/) on Windows XP. I've never used Bochs myself, but unless you have some sort of special purpose for using it (tracing, debugging etc) then VMWare certainly looks like a more user friendly approach.

If you do indeed want to stick with Bochs then check out the documentation on their site or maybe ask in their forums. I'm not too sure how many Bochs experts we have here, but I can guarantee your likely to find alot of people able to help you on the official discussion board for Bochs.

first off ive tried to read the manual but its way over my head. second im actualy trying to see if there is a way to make it so that win98 is able to be debugged enough that it wont crash every 10 secs. lol. third the reason i want to use bochs is becaues its free. also the orignal reason i was going to use bochs is because i was going to put win98 on my psp but unfortionatly even though i bought a used one it had firmware version 2.5 on it and i couldnt do it. and as of version 2.01 they fixed the bug so that you cant downgrade.

VMware Server is free (its still in beta atm but is quite stable) so that would give you the option of using VMware. I've had no expierance with Bochs, and if you say the manual is over your head then you probably shouldn't be using the program or trying to do what you are doing.

first off ive tried to read the manual but its way over my head. second im actualy trying to see if there is a way to make it so that win98 is able to be debugged enough that it wont crash every 10 secs. lol. third the reason i want to use bochs is becaues its free.

I would suggest that you try to get your head around the manual and ask on the Bochs discussion boards when you get confused.

I mean no offence, but debugging windows 98 is not only a huge and complicated task but it can also be illegal. Say you find a memory leak in a DLL and fix it, any sort of patching/reverse-engineering is certainly frowned upon by Microsoft. Check the specifics of the EULA for Windows 98 before you do anything. You do have to consider the size of the task at hand, your one person trying to debug an operating system that took a team of coders years to create. I would say your job is akin to cutting down a jungle with a butterknife.

Myeah, if that's your reason you might want to rethink your goals. Microsoft has already made an improved version of Windows 98. It's called Windows XP.

If you want to just play with OSes and see where Bochs stands in supporting them or to have a nice, clean target to hack against in a legal way, then this is definately the cheapest way to do it.

I don't see what Bochs has to do with Win98 on the PSP, but that's probably me. Don't worry too much though. You've now got a sweet gaming machine and they'll figure out some neat hacks for it in due time. Just be patient.

• 3 months later...
VMware Server is free (its still in beta atm but is quite stable) so that would give you the option of using VMware. I've had no expierance with Bochs, and if you say the manual is over your head then you probably shouldn't be using the program or trying to do what you are doing.

I'd def agree with stringwray, VMWare is *much* easier to use for a normal end user. I don't have a PSP so I can't comment how if this is even possible to get working or not. Bochs is more of a coder-oriented virtualization platform.... the only people I know who use it regularly anymore are OS developers since it's debugging features are great.