Kamikaze 8.09 FON+ and Madwifi Drivers

I hope someone can help me

I have my Fon+ setup with OpenWRT Kamikaze 8.09 X-WRT image.

The issue is I cannot get the Jasager madwifi package working. The system gives me an error when I try to run

opkg install -force-downgrade jasager-madwifi_1.ipk

ERROR: Cannot Satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-madwifi:

kernal (=2.6.21.5-atheros-1)

Thanks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I just came across this issue earlier as well. I hope DigiNija can shed some light on if Jasager will work with 8.09.

I was able to get jasager-madwifi_1.ipk installed with opkg install -nodeps. I would like to hear back from you if once you get the Jasager web interface up. I had an issue with trying to turn karma on and off. It never seemed to turn ON and the IP and MAC addresses of the connected clients were wrong, or not show up.

my set up: Fon+, OpenWRT 8.09, Jasager 2.1

It probably won't work with 8.09 because the package is built using the 7.09 build system so will have dependencies tied into that. I tried to get a working version for 8.09 RC2 but got no where so was waiting for 8.09 to come up. Now it is out I'm waiting for enough time to play with it. Hopefully I'll have a look at it tonight, all will work wonderfully and I can release the new package.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I've just spent the last 6 hours trying to get a built version of the madwifi drivers to work with openwrt 8.09 and got no where.

In the end even something as simple as just putting a simple printf in still caused kernel panics when setting an ip address on the interface.

I've got one last idea for tomorrow night but it is 2.25AM and I'm giving up.

in the answer to jdogherman's question, probably. I was reading up on creating a custom firmware while things were building so I think I know what I'm doing now. If I get this working then I'll look at that.

I've finally got an almost working karma patch, after over 24 hours of building the package, installing it and getting errors or kernel panics I've finally tracked the problem down to this function

ieee80211_print_essid

This is the one that prints the ssid that the client has associated with to the system log so it can be displayed. I don't yet know why this is causing problems but it is used in 5 places and when I took it out of all of them I managed to get a working set of drivers which dumped a fixed string out rather than the ssid.

Seeing as I'm about to lose an hours sleep due to GMT becoming BST I'm calling it a night at this victory and will continue investigating tomorrow.

I've also got some info on how to customise a firmware so potentially the next release will be as simple as flashing with my pre-built squashfs and lzma files.

I've finally got an almost working karma patch, after over 24 hours of building the package, installing it and getting errors or kernel panics I've finally tracked the problem down to this function

ieee80211_print_essid

This is the one that prints the ssid that the client has associated with to the system log so it can be displayed. I don't yet know why this is causing problems but it is used in 5 places and when I took it out of all of them I managed to get a working set of drivers which dumped a fixed string out rather than the ssid.

Seeing as I'm about to lose an hours sleep due to GMT becoming BST I'm calling it a night at this victory and will continue investigating tomorrow.

I've also got some info on how to customise a firmware so potentially the next release will be as simple as flashing with my pre-built squashfs and lzma files.

Sounds great, I think that most users would appreciate the fact that they could just flash a custom firmware and have everything already installed for them. That would be so helpful to newcomers as the barrier to entry currently is a little high if you havent ever played with embedded devices much.

Solved it!

It turns out that the ieee80211_print_essid function is declared in ieee80211_proto.c but is wrapped in an ifdef IEEE80211_DEBUG however the header is declared in ieee80211_proto.h without the ifdef so the package builds because the function header is defined but then as soon as the module is used it finds there is no actual code behind the function so the module dies.

To fix it all I needed to do was move an ifdef about 6 lines down the file. All that work because of a bug in the original madwifi package.

So the bit you've been waiting for, here is the package

karma madwifi package for openwrt 8.09

To use it, just copy it to /tmp and install it with opkg.

And if anyone wants the patch file I use, you can get that here:

karma madwifi path for openwrt 8.09

This file needs to go in kamikaze_8.09/package/madwifi/patches.

Solved it!

It turns out that the ieee80211_print_essid function is declared in ieee80211_proto.c but is wrapped in an ifdef IEEE80211_DEBUG however the header is declared in ieee80211_proto.h without the ifdef so the package builds because the function header is defined but then as soon as the module is used it finds there is no actual code behind the function so the module dies.

To fix it all I needed to do was move an ifdef about 6 lines down the file. All that work because of a bug in the original madwifi package.

So the bit you've been waiting for, here is the package

karma madwifi package for openwrt 8.09

To use it, just copy it to /tmp and install it with opkg.

And if anyone wants the patch file I use, you can get that here:

karma madwifi path for openwrt 8.09

This file needs to go in kamikaze_8.09/package/madwifi/patches.

Confgrats and good effort! Will try it tonight.

The package usually takes about 2 mins to install then you should get a command prompt back.

Something I maybe should have said is that it is best upgrading the wireless drivers while connected on the wired network. If you upgrade them while connected on the wireless then you may well lose your connection.

Thats odd. Can you try to ssh to the fon and do the seutp manually:

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap

iwpriv ath0 karma 1

iwconfig ath0 essid jasager channel 6

ifconfig ath0 10.1.1.1 up

The run

logread -f

which tails the system log file and try to connect to the AP from a client. You should get a connection and an entry in the log. I also get a lump of debug traces in the log file, you can ignore that.

If that works then karma is working and the problem is the interface, if that fails let me know which step it fails at.

The package usually takes about 2 mins to install then you should get a command prompt back.

Something I maybe should have said is that it is best upgrading the wireless drivers while connected on the wired network. If you upgrade them while connected on the wireless then you may well lose your connection.

I did upgrade through the wired network... it actually seemed to upgrade successfully. The problem is that I can't seem to connect to the router anymore. I know it has been said that the LEDs don't really mean much, but still... the power LED comes on initially and then just stays off indefinitely. Tried ping sweeping my network in the odd case that the router IP changed to no avail. I will be trying a few other things later on...