How he can get my ip address via msn

Cha0s

Hello Folks,

I have a question, i asked this to many people on net but nobody

have an answer for me and i decided to ask this on hak5.

A few weeks ago, a guy told me about that he can get my real ip address via msn without direct connection, this mean not webcam-voice convo, not file transfer, even not need to write him on msn. Then i

said him, thats impossible, you can just see microsoft's servers ip

addresses without direct connection and he said "add me in your

buddy list then i ll say your ip address". Then i added him in my

list and even i didn't write anything to him but him first message

was my ip address, and i really shocked. Asked him how you can do

this and he just said " i have used wireshark, i wrote a msn

filter." no more info about it.

Maybe you know how he can do this and i really need to learn that,

i promise i will never use this information for harmful purposes.

Sorry for my bad english and thanks in advance :).

Best regards...

discovery does the same thing, it shows up the ip of people you chat to, i think it works if you just msg them, anyway ive seen it myself.

http://live.msgdiscovery.com/

hope that helps, it also lets you imitate other people (so it looks as if they have wrote it)

its got a few good features on it.

just make sure you exit wlm before you run it.

When you add someone as a friend you are essentially messaging them a request to add and they reply back if they wish to accept. when You added him as a friend it sent that request from your client (packets contained your IP address) to his. If he was running wire shark while the friend add was happening then all he would have to do is filter out all the packets that come from Messenger and it would only take an experienced Wire shark user a few seconds to see what IP the packets came from.

By the way this is kinda old news. I believe this was covered on the show a couple of seasons ago (season 2?) with cain & able and wire shark intercepting Instant messaging conversations. basically the same concept.

Lesson:

Don't add people you don't trust to any social network site or messenger service.

Hey if i do understand your question right, then this guy used the netstat command in cmd. You can look them up on google, but what happens is: when you added him as a friend, there has to packets sent, so once you accepted him he ran the command netstat to show connections. This might be a way he is getting your IP. You can google netstat for more info. Good luck with this guy!

cheers,

Destro

If this guy is starting to make you mad with what he is doing. Open a conversation with him, netstat him, nmap his ip, and from there is a good start. But, I doubt he is. Also what is the purpose of this guy telling you he has your ip. If he is intending on doing anything malicious then i suggest taking action. If he keeps talking to you try and see how could his computer skills are.

cheers,

Destro

If this guy is starting to make you mad with what he is doing. Open a conversation with him, netstat him, nmap his ip, and from there is a good start. But, I doubt he is. Also what is the purpose of this guy telling you he has your ip. If he is intending on doing anything malicious then i suggest taking action. If he keeps talking to you try and see how could his computer skills are.

or point out how useless knowing some ones IP address on the Internet can be. E-mail addresses are more useful becasue they get through every~ firewall.

Dudes please read carefully what i wrote on first message and please consider this i am not a noob!

He told me that he can get private ips via msn and he do not need direct connection, he can get ips from display pictures, then i added him addy in my buddy list and he typed my ip address in him first message!

Maybe someone of you thinking about me that i am a liar but i swear about it.

Also ipget plugin sometimes can do the same(it's a msn plus plugin) but not each time.

Dudes please read carefully what i wrote on first message and please consider this i am not a noob!

He told me that he can get private ips via msn and he do not need direct connection, he can get ips from display pictures, then i added him addy in my buddy list and he typed my ip address in him first message!

Also ipget plugin sometimes can do the same(it's a msn plus plugin) but not each time.

"HAHA, I HAS UR IP LOL! NOW I HAK U!"

Thank you, but no.

I think you misunderstand that having some ones IP address is fairly useless the majority of the time, particularly if it is there private address.

First of all please do not call me dude. I do not appreciate it because that is why we have names. And secondly Sparda brings up a valid point. Unless this guy lives near you and can war drive you then it is useless and a waste of time to talk to him. Lastly, I am sorry if my earlier message made you think I thought of you as a noob. Also have you ever thought this guy has made his own program like ipget or maybe even edited ipget.

cheers,

Destro

p.s. If you are really getting frustrated with this guy, just use the netstat command. Go to http://www.ip-adress.com and track him down. If he is not remotely close to you then you have nothing to worry about! also how did this guy get your MSN and how does you or he know eachother?

First of all please do not call me dude. I do not appreciate it because that is why we have names. And secondly Sparda brings up a valid point. Unless this guy lives near you and can war drive you then it is useless and a waste of time to talk to him. Lastly, I am sorry if my earlier message made you think I thought of you as a noob. Also have you ever thought this guy has made his own program like ipget or maybe even edited ipget.

cheers,

Destro

p.s. If you are really getting frustrated with this guy, just use the netstat command. Go to http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/71.58.210.205 and track him down. If he is not remotely close to you then you have nothing to worry about! also how did this guy get your MSN and how does you or he know eachother?

We are members of same web site, he just claimed in a thread that he can obtain private ips via msn without direct connection and i replied him thats impossible then he said add my addy in your list and i ll show you your ip address and he really did it!

Then i said him, "why i can not get ip addresses via wireshark" and he said "in normal ways you can not do this, i have wrote a msn filter on wireshark" and he do not wanna give any info about it, he is not helpfull or do not like share knowledge.

You know normally you can not get your visitors ip addresses on your web site if they surfing behind a transparent proxy, but if you use "http_x_forwarded_for" command then you can get also him real ip adress. I think msn's switchboard acting like that, i need a filter like "http_x_forwarded_for" but i do not know exactly what. Or im wrong :\.