so...power issues

gcninja

Well, i built a computer about 3weeks ago and i use it occasionally. first time i built it it had booting problems, it would barely turn on and then shut off, i found the issue was i had 24power pins plugged in PLUS the one on the mobo. so i made it a 20pin (the other four slid off) and its worked since. Now today i got a grub error 17 (i was using ubuntu) and i decided the check the cords. well, i popped off the side and opened it up and everything was good, i didnt even TOUCH anything. so i closed it up and pushed the power button. all it did was click on then off, the fans didnt even spin. i tried again, NOTHING so i unplugged it and plugged it in, nothing, i flicked off and on the switch in the back and it clicked again. so i popped it open and i checked everything and it was fine, so i decided it was the psu. i poped off the 20pin ocnnection and wired it so the power on was with a ground and EVERYTHING turned on, NOTE:the other four (cpu power) was still plugged in. since no other powers plugged in nothing else turned on but the fans and the cd drive DID open and close but nothing on the monitor (of course). so... i plugged it back in and unplugged the four pin (cpu power) and it didnt work. so help? its brand new, i didnt do anything to it since i built it. any suggestions? i dont wanna buy a new mobo since i dont have the money.

ima try and get a video.

edit: sorry in advance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgzq7N-KtSM

Well, i built a computer about 3weeks ago and i use it occasionally. first time i built it it had booting problems, it would barely turn on and then shut off, i found the issue was i had 24power pins plugged in PLUS the one on the mobo. so i made it a 20pin (the other four slid off) and its worked since. Now today i got a grub error 17 (i was using ubuntu) and i decided the check the cords. well, i popped off the side and opened it up and everything was good, i didnt even TOUCH anything. so i closed it up and pushed the power button. all it did was click on then off, the fans didnt even spin. i tried again, NOTHING so i unplugged it and plugged it in, nothing, i flicked off and on the switch in the back and it clicked again. so i popped it open and i checked everything and it was fine, so i decided it was the psu. i poped off the 20pin ocnnection and wired it so the power on was with a ground and EVERYTHING turned on, NOTE:the other four (cpu power) was still plugged in. since no other powers plugged in nothing else turned on but the fans and the cd drive DID open and close but nothing on the monitor (of course). so... i plugged it back in and unplugged the four pin (cpu power) and it didnt work. so help? its brand new, i didnt do anything to it since i built it. any suggestions? i dont wanna buy a new mobo since i dont have the money.

ima try and get a video.

edit: sorry in advance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgzq7N-KtSM

How to troubleshoot a power issue...

Confirm the following, you have a power supply big enough to support all those devices. Most power supplies are huge and this is not an issue. Next, is the motherboard installed correctly with stand offs? There could be a short if some of the motherboard contacts touch the case, this applies to bare wires/connectors (shouldn't have to be said, but still should be said!).

1. Unplug everything from the motherboard and power, that includes HDDs, FDD, CDs, etc. This includes the ATA, SATA, IDE, etc cables from the motherboard. I've seen motherboards try to startup devices that have no power, it's best that the motherboard doesn't even know they exist.

2. Plug in power to motherboard and power to buttons and LEDs. Does it power up and POST, do you see output on screen? If you must power up high end video card for that, please do so. If the answer is no, swap out motherboard or power supply, one of them is bad.

3. Plug in one device, probably the cd drive. Power up computer. Everything ok? If not, you have a bad CD drive.

4. Repeat step 3 until the system is complete. If everything works at the end, you probably had a loose cable and it needed to be reseated somewhere.

5. ???

6. Profit (had to be done!) ;)

You will probably find the problem right away, like at step 2. Do you have multiple P4 connectors on the power supply? Do you have an open P4 connector on the motherboard, near the CPU away from the 20/24 pin bank? Odds are you won't get past step 2 without some clue as to the problem.

Good luck!

k thanks ill give it a shot

edit: well i PRAY its not, but it might the mobo, i removed and it sire the PWR ON and GRN, the fans work, lets see if the CD drive does too

edit 2:hdd powers up

edit 3: it all works until i plug that little FOUR PIN BUGGER in and then it doesnt. suggestions? it cant be a bad mobo

also yes, i do have just the one P4 connection near the cpu, it all runs fine until i plug that it and then BOOM, its off, wtf.

jkust to cover it all, im using only 20 of the 20/24, and the P4, and its running fine w/o it. course no video, or the startup beep. so ya

edit: soprry bout the double post, but i know it ss a shortnow, i see the blue spark when i plugged it in. any suggestions?

also yes, i do have just the one P4 connection near the cpu, it all runs fine until i plug that it and then BOOM, its off, wtf.

jkust to cover it all, im using only 20 of the 20/24, and the P4, and its running fine w/o it. course no video, or the startup beep. so ya

edit: soprry bout the double post, but i know it ss a shortnow, i see the blue spark when i plugged it in. any suggestions?

A blue spark when you plugged it in or after? Did the spark come from the power supply or the wires or did it come from the mobo?

If it is as bad as I think it is, you might (read again "might") have fried the mobo and/or the power supply.

If the power supply surged and then the surge hit the mobo. However if the power supply just crapped out then you might need to return it if that's the case.

Also What size is the power supply in Watts? And how many devices do you have connected (all of them including the type of cpu)? Also, sometimes the brand has a lot to do with it. I know that some Ultra power supply's (for example) are crappy and have a chance of burning out from shoddy construction.

I'm not sure what little 4 pin you are talking about, can you take a pic? Sounds like the GPU power connector, but not sure where or what you are plugging in. What is the make of the main board? These things are usually labeled pretty well. I can't see anything from that video.

basically same board,

msi_01_01.jpg

Few things I can think is either the CPU isn't seated right, the PSU is bad, or the mobo is bad. IS ther emroe than one power connector like that one?

My PSU has labels on the connectors itself, with them in order like, P1, P2, etc. P1 is my larger main board PSU connector and the P2 is the one plugged in that you have circled.

Was any of this put together or did you install every compnent, ex: CPU, PSU, cables, fans, power button, led's, etc

You have a warranty on the board, I would try to send it back and get another one. That whole spark thing doesn't sound too promising either, so I wouldn't trust it from then on. Might be static damage somewhere anyway.

i built the machine myself but there were three fans installed to teh case already. it was all good to go for a while, just yesterday BAM it stopped working as i was working on a Grub error 17. sigh....

alright, ill check my warranty. i bought all these from a wholesaler a while back.. thanks thought man.

Are you really plugging these things in while the machine is running? That sounds like a really bad idea.

"it all runs fine until i plug that it and then BOOM" YIKES?

Also, I said get that all running correctly before adding drives. You said it was working fine with the HDD, then you added the P4 connection. Make all that work without any drives or PCI cards (video card excluded of course!) No startup beep means it's not working fine, you have power to the fans and LEDs, that's not what you should look for. Video output and BIOS messages means it's working fine.

Are you really plugging these things in while the machine is running? That sounds like a really bad idea.

"it all runs fine until i plug that it and then BOOM" YIKES?

Also, I said get that all running correctly before adding drives. You said it was working fine with the HDD, then you added the P4 connection. Make all that work without any drives or PCI cards (video card excluded of course!) No startup beep means it's not working fine, you have power to the fans and LEDs, that's not what you should look for. Video output and BIOS messages means it's working fine.

actually it sparks when i turn it on with teh P4 in. and Ive done it with and without the HDD and it works as long as i only have the 20pin and not the P4 in. i dont have any PCI its all onboard. and i know about the beep, it always beeped when it worked normal, now it doesnt at all.

actually it sparks when i turn it on with teh P4 in. and Ive done it with and without the HDD and it works as long as i only have the 20pin and not the P4 in. i dont have any PCI its all onboard. and i know about the beep, it always beeped when it worked normal, now it doesnt at all.

If you can find another power supply, try it with that. I would say you have a bad motherboard.

I aint hatin' but I have seen (more like has happened to me) too many times. My money is on a bad pwr supply

BTW, just to check, did you take out the memory with all cables plugged in and heard if it had the beeps? It sounds stupid, I know but this happened to me one time *I already bought another pwr sup AND mtb, but it was the ram all along...*