The OFFICIAL Bash The Wii Thread (With official Nintendo Seal of Approval :P)

h3%5kr3w

Time to spill the beans on you kiddies. Here's main contributing reason why all the 3rd party wii games suck:

Quality control.

Microsoft and Sony have it and enforce it. Nintendo doesn't. The Nintendo seal of quality is meaningless.

What does this mean?

Think of quality control as when you were a child, and your mom wanted you to clean your room. You can't just shove stuff under the bed, or leave stuff on your desk. Mom wouldn't approve of it, and she'd make you go back and fix it, or you can't go outside and play. So you went back and fixed it. Then you said "mom, come check it out now, I fixed it". If she inspected everything, and it was all OK to her, then she would let you go out and play. If it didn't meet her standards, you would go back and fix it again. The process repeats.

With game development, the same concept applies. You ask permission from Sony or MS to develop a game on their console, you go through the review process, and if approved, you start making your game. Throughout the development process, quality control personnel from MS and Sony will watch how the game is coming along, and if something is not up to standard, you go back and fix it, then have them review it and approve it if applicable. The process repeats.

Some fanboys will bash consoles for losing developers, or for them to jump ship on a system (such as valve). Even if the game idea is approved, if the dev team for that company can't meet the standards, the game is likely scrapped (which nowadays, can put you out of business. in the case of valve, exec said it was too hard and cost too much, so they gave up).

So why are there so many crappy games on Nintendo systems?

The most of process above does not occur when you develop a game for Wii or DS. Nintendo either approves or denies your game idea, you make the game, send them a copy, they burn a million copies, and throw it on a store shelf. It's cheaper to make a game when quality control isn't breathing down your neck telling you to make your game not suck. This is why nintendo's first party games do the best on their consoles. Nintendo may have their own QC/A team for a project, but they don't send such teams to outside developers. In turn, you have all the "good" games made by nintendo, and most of the 3rd party ones screwing people out of 50 bucks.

Time to spill the beans on you kiddies. Here's main contributing reason why all the 3rd party wii games suck:

Quality control.

Microsoft and Sony have it and enforce it. Nintendo doesn't. The Nintendo seal of quality is meaningless.

What does this mean?

Think of quality control as when you were a child, and your mom wanted you to clean your room. You can't just shove stuff under the bed, or leave stuff on your desk. Mom wouldn't approve of it, and she'd make you go back and fix it, or you can't go outside and play. So you went back and fixed it. Then you said "mom, come check it out now, I fixed it". If she inspected everything, and it was all OK to her, then she would let you go out and play. If it didn't meet her standards, you would go back and fix it again. The process repeats.

With game development, the same concept applies. You ask permission from Sony or MS to develop a game on their console, you go through the review process, and if approved, you start making your game. Throughout the development process, quality control personnel from MS and Sony will watch how the game is coming along, and if something is not up to standard, you go back and fix it, then have them review it and approve it if applicable. The process repeats.

Some fanboys will bash consoles for losing developers, or for them to jump ship on a system (such as valve). Even if the game idea is approved, if the dev team for that company can't meet the standards, the game is likely scrapped (which nowadays, can put you out of business. in the case of valve, exec said it was too hard and cost too much, so they gave up).

So why are there so many crappy games on Nintendo systems?

The most of process above does not occur when you develop a game for Wii or DS. Nintendo either approves or denies your game idea, you make the game, send them a copy, they burn a million copies, and throw it on a store shelf. It's cheaper to make a game when quality control isn't breathing down your neck telling you to make your game not suck. This is why nintendo's first party games do the best on their consoles. Nintendo may have their own QC/A team for a project, but they don't send such teams to outside developers. In turn, you have all the "good" games made by nintendo, and most of the 3rd party ones screwing people out of 50 bucks.

Like Apple and the App Store, how would one judge what is quality and what is not to another. It's not necessarily Nintendo's place to say..., that's up to the consumer. I'm a little wary of the concept. Also, are plenty of bad games on the 360 and PS3 (Haze, *shudder*).

I wouldn't point it directly at QA, but more with target market. The target market of Wii owners is casuals who don't game and don't always know what they are buying (whether it's true or not). This may allow developers to lower their standards. If the title sells without any effort, why bother trying harder for the next one? There are developers trying great things on the Wii (Skate It, Boom Blox, Sega, No More Heroes etc), and why people don't buy those titles is BEYOND me. It's like everyone has stupid syndrome.

I'm woefully excited for Madworld, The Conduit and some Final Fantasy (Echoes of Time is a cross platform online DS AND Wii title..., sounds crazy!) games coming this year.

The wii has a few good games and thats about it. But if they ever start to release some good games, im set. I soft modded it for "backups" and wiibrew.org has alot of cool stuff for it. I'll admit i want better games. But hey, im getting them free.

The wii has a few good games and thats about it. But if they ever start to release some good games, im set. I soft modded it for "backups" and wiibrew.org has alot of cool stuff for it. I'll admit i want better games. But hey, im getting them free.

This spring we'll have a slew of good titles..., "backups" are great if you don't want to play online (there's a risk, amirite?, I haven't modded my Wii in a long time). I hope you choose to "not backup" those great third party games that are coming.

Like Apple and the App Store, how would one judge what is quality and what is not to another. It's not necessarily Nintendo's place to say..., that's up to the consumer. I'm a little wary of the concept. Also, are plenty of bad games on the 360 and PS3 (Haze, *shudder*).

umm... is it not well known that if good ole' steve doesn't like it, it get's tossed out like an old gallon of milk?

There are a few good games on Wii, and I am psyched bigtime about madworld. I think there are a few good titles coming up for Wii, but not a ton of them, and nothing like what is on other consoles. I like what is on other consoles, not because of the visual appeal but because of the xtras, the fun, and the spontinuity (is that a word?!) of them. Alot of Wii games go like this: open the box, watch the intro video, play the game, put it back in the box. and thats it.

umm... is it not well known that if good ole' steve doesn't like it, it get's tossed out like an old gallon of milk?

There are a few good games on Wii, and I am psyched bigtime about madworld. I think there are a few good titles coming up for Wii, but not a ton of them, and nothing like what is on other consoles. I like what is on other consoles, not because of the visual appeal but because of the xtras, the fun, and the spontinuity (is that a word?!) of them. Alot of Wii games go like this: open the box, watch the intro video, play the game, put it back in the box. and thats it.

I think you might have been looking for... "spontaneity"... I think