VMware Squid

Eviltechie

So here is what I did.

I put a VM in VMware running Ubuntu Server 8.10. I put squid on it. It is using a bridged connection, and has it's own IP and MAC.

So my question is, if my parents blocked my computer at the router, could I still get my internet from my VM? I checked wireshark, and it showed packets from the VM coming from eth0. Wireshark also shows packets on the loopback interface too. Those lo packets happen to be my internet.

So here is what I did.

I put a VM in VMware running Ubuntu Server 8.10. I put squid on it. It is using a bridged connection, and has it's own IP and MAC.

So my question is, if my parents blocked my computer at the router, could I still get my internet from my VM? I checked wireshark, and it showed packets from the VM coming from eth0. Wireshark also shows packets on the loopback interface too.

Blocked your computer from the router via MAC filtering? Why no just spoof your MAC? You can use macchanger in Linux and I use macmakeup for windows but there's many choices out there

the answer to your question is no. the virtual lmachine uses a virtual network adapter. so if the host machine isnt able to obtain an internet connection then theres no way for any client VM's to get an internet connection either.

the answer to your question is no. the virtual lmachine uses a virtual network adapter. so if the host machine isnt able to obtain an internet connection then theres no way for any client VM's to get an internet connection either.

ahhh yes you're right. sorry :mellow:

Are we talking wireless here?

If the VM is attached to a USB wireless card(not the host systems ethernet), then you can use that adapter to connect to any wireless access point. Won't be of any help for a wired connection though. As for the host machine, if you have a wireless card that allows manually changing the mac address(or a thrid party app that can mask it for you, there are plenty), then why go the route of a squid proxy via VM? Also, if the router is in your house, reset the damn thing, and clear any blocked mac addresses that were in it. If they ask, say the power must have went out and reset the settings or something.

As for talking to the loopback, you will only be talking to yoruself. Not the internet.

So here is what I did.

So my question is, if my parents blocked my computer at the router, could I still get my internet from my VM? I checked wireshark, and it showed packets from the VM coming from eth0. Wireshark also shows packets on the loopback interface too. Those lo packets happen to be my internet.

It all hinges on how they "block" your computer; let's assume MAC address filtering for this discussion. As an aside, you should probably learn what the loopback interface is for.

With a bridged connection, IIRC, your physical device is essentially spoofing the VMs source MAC anyway for those packets. If that is the case, you're really just wasting an extra system's worth of resources to get the same effect as a simple execution of ifconfig.

But like I said, it all depends on how they're going to remove your access.

It all hinges on how they "block" your computer; let's assume MAC address filtering for this discussion. As an aside, you should probably learn what the loopback interface is for.

With a bridged connection, IIRC, your physical device is essentially spoofing the VMs source MAC anyway for those packets. If that is the case, you're really just wasting an extra system's worth of resources to get the same effect as a simple execution of ifconfig.

But like I said, it all depends on how they're going to remove your access.

Well it is bridged, and I'm not sure why my internet was on the loopback interface, but if it is already spoofing it in a way, then it should work. BTW, it is wired.

Well it is bridged, and I'm not sure why my internet was on the loopback interface, but if it is already spoofing it in a way, then it should work. BTW, it is wired.

"Should work" only if they're planning on blacklisting the physical MAC address on your card. If they employ some other technique, spoofing the MAC address may not be the optimal solution.

'your internet' cannot be on the loopback interface. That is your localhost, your 127.0.0.1

We need more information about how you're being blocked. When you say, "blocked at the router" it's being assumed that there is MAC address filtering going on. Therefore, changing your MAC on your host machine is the best way to circumvent this.

If they are blocking specific site, or are doing other sorts of packet filtering, well that's a different story.

Well first they did port 80, but a simple proxy on a friends server took care of that. Then the blocked all traffic to/from my computer. That means I lost my DHCP IP. But the router should just treat my server as another computer, right?

NO. you don't understand. forget about ip's for a second. your computers wireless card has a MAC address, your computer is communicating with the wireless router using that wireless card. now the virtual machine is communicating with your computer using a virtual network adapter. you'll even see them under your "network connections" tab in windows. you can install as many of them as you want. but they arent real. they're VIRTUAL. its just so that a virtual machine can use your computers network connection, or to connect them to other virtual machines. VIRTUALLY. like everyone has already said, they probably filtered your wireless cards mac address. you can easily spoof this to one that the AP will accept. they may have also added other filters that will stop you from connecting, like internet access time of day and shit like that.

LOL at having internet blocked by your parents, how old are you?

If I'm honest, you don't have the basic network knowledge needed to circumvent your parents security and should probably respect their decision -they've obviously implemented it for a reason. If you want full internet access, buy your own...

Well first they did port 80, but a simple proxy on a friends server took care of that. Then the blocked all traffic to/from my computer. That means I lost my DHCP IP. But the router should just treat my server as another computer, right?

How do your parents know how to do this? Do they work for Linksys or the NSA? My father still doesn't understand the intricacies of webmail for christ's sake.

Either way, think of it like this

Virtual Machine--->Virtual Network Card---->VM Client---->Real Network Card---->Router---->Internet

If your parents were blocking internet, they block it................../\ Here /\, which trickles down all the way to the VM. Does this make sense? If your parents blocked access, it stops at the host machine, a virtual machine uses the host machine to interface with everything else, thus, making a VM useless in this case. Then again, I'm having trouble understanding what your situation is.

FYI, they aren't blocking my internet at this time.

What I did was set up a virtual machine running squid. The vm's network interface is set to bridged. This gave it it's own IP and MAC on the network. Would blocking MY MAC and IP also block the virtual machine's? Or would it treat it as another device on the network. I'm pretty sure that the VM doesn't need to go to the router to get to my computer.

FYI, they aren't blocking my internet at this time.

What I did was set up a virtual machine running squid. The vm's network interface is set to bridged. This gave it it's own IP and MAC on the network. Would blocking MY MAC and IP also block the virtual machine's? Or would it treat it as another device on the network. I'm pretty sure that the VM doesn't need to go to the router to get to my computer.

Your VM only has it's own IP and MAC inside your computer... The connection still goes through your physical adapter. When your router sends back a packet your physical adapter receives it and then routes it to your virtual adapter...

How do they get online with port 80 blocked?