Old Desktop

Tymac94

Any ideas on what to do with a Dell Dimension 4550 it has 512 MB of Ram, 2.6 GHz CPU. I know i could run a server, but any other ideas. I would like to run it "headless" so I could put i in my closet and maybe do some folding@HOME. I would like to be able to telnet and ssh into it. What is a good Linux distro to run on this server wise.

Any ideas on what to do with a Dell Dimension 4550 it has 512 MB of Ram, 2.6 GHz CPU. I know i could run a server, but any other ideas. I would like to run it "headless" so I could put i in my closet and maybe do some folding@HOME. I would like to be able to telnet and ssh into it. What is a good Linux distro to run on this server wise.

I'm guessing you aren't too familiar with Linux... With my spare PC (old Compaq with Pentium 4 and 256Mb RAM) I installed Ubuntu 81.0 Desktop and use it as a server. It use it for SSH and FTP and I'm currently working on HTTP using Apache. It runs with no monitor

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Seriously? ANOTHER one of these threads?

There must be over 9000 threads about exactly the same topic "what should i do with my old box".

It's killing me, make it stop.

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Seriously? ANOTHER one of these threads?

There must be over 9000 threads about exactly the same topic "what should i do with my old box".

It's killing me, make it stop.

yeah its almost as bad as "Hey which laptop is good to buy plz halp"

I got it I am going to use it for a dedicated bittorrent downloader. I will install vnc and bittorrent and save the bittorrents to a shared folder on my wireless network and use the WEB UI on utorrent.

Don't come asking for help when your get caught...

At least I'm not asking what telnet is

DING! DING! DING!

This is a man that DOES actually read the forums here!

Given the computing efficiency of an older box like that, folding@home is going to probably use more electricity and generate more heat than it's probably worth. A disk server or web server are probably the most obvious choices.

I got it I am going to use it for a dedicated bittorrent downloader. I will install vnc and bittorrent and save the bittorrents to a shared folder on my wireless network and use the WEB UI on utorrent.

Remember that you didn't get the idea to do this from us.

And if you're on comcast watch your bandwidth usage.

Invest in "soap-on-a-rope"

You could also set up an ftp server (i use http://filezilla-project.org/ download the server version) then access all of those legal torrents you have been downloading (such as linux of course) from anywhere in the world! A few other things i have on mine that you may find useful are Playon to stream hulu, youtube, and other things to your xbox or ps3, a nessus server, a game server for your favorite game, and my favorite Vibe Streamer which takes your music collection and puts it into a nice web interface so you can stream your music everywhere! Hope this helps, oh and all of these work in windows because it sounds like you don't want to use ubuntu.

Well, I recommend Xubuntu for a server. You may be scratching your head why, but when you can vnc into it, it's pretty sweet. Like having your desktop away from your... desktop. HELL I KNOW! Use it to Mod your house!!! (ie, voice~ turn on/ off lights, etc)