New Laptop?

IC3

hey everyone! i still cant decide on a good laptop to buy. i was checking out some macs today and found myself pondering on how much they were and if i was getting my moneys worth. i have been browsing the forum and someone suggested a thinkpad. the w series looks great but is mad expensive. the computer i have right now ran out of space in a year and a half and i have had to deal with it for 4 years (this will be my 5). it is time for an upgrade, but i just want to make a good decision. is 2g enough? and good suggestions for someone who would rather run xp than vista, likes to program and hack, very rarely watch movies, no gaming (for now), and something fast. i dont care if it is big and heavy, i workout! if it satisfys me greatly i wont mind a bit, but i dont want a piece of crap computer weighing me down. Please i really need help on this and fast because i need to get it before a certain period.

cheers,

IC3

p.s. thanx in advance, i know this is a lot of writing!

hey everyone! i still cant decide on a good laptop to buy. i was checking out some macs today and found myself pondering on how much they were and if i was getting my moneys worth. i have been browsing the forum and someone suggested a thinkpad. the w series looks great but is mad expensive. the computer i have right now ran out of space in a year and a half and i have had to deal with it for 4 years (this will be my 5). it is time for an upgrade, but i just want to make a good decision. is 2g enough? and good suggestions for someone who would rather run xp than vista, likes to program and hack, very rarely watch movies, no gaming (for now), and something fast. i dont care if it is big and heavy, i workout! if it satisfys me greatly i wont mind a bit, but i dont want a piece of crap computer weighing me down. Please i really need help on this and fast because i need to get it before a certain period.

cheers,

IC3

p.s. thanx in advance, i know this is a lot of writing!

2g... of RAM right?

I'd recommend the Mac..., but I may be biased with that...

Sine notebooks are hard to upgrade, you'll want something that lasts, and as far I as I know, Mac notebooks tend to keep their work and usability longer.

yes 2g of ram. i am thinking about getting mac, but some of the tools i use i am not sure if they will go wit mac and some dont. the thinkpads look really great. i guess my main worries of speed and memory. i make sure things are safe, so i feel this wont be a big problem. i just want to make sure this computer is worth it. i am really fretting over this and would love every oponion or point of view or anything that can help me. if you recommend a computer i would appreciate it if you could tell me the name and wat OS it runs.

cheers,

IC3

dude i totally recommend the msi wind u90, i think you can get it at staples, im canadian so.. you can get the u90x from staples for 290, it runs leopard, vista, xp, windows 7, and linux distros, there is a great community at http://www.msiwind.net it is a small netbook nice keyboard size and affordable, and you can put up to 2gb of ram in (when disabling onboard ram), great and affordable

~silentknight329

What's your budget?

I currently have a Dell Latitude D620 with a 250GB internal (S)ATA 2.5" HDD, 3GB RAM, Intel Centrino DUO processor, and I dualboot Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows XP. It's more than enough for *most* of the things I do, but with the integrated graphics I probably can't get into any hardcore gaming, but Halo, Combat Arms, and Civilizain IV run great on it with absolutely no lag :P

I think that macs are a way too expensive for what they offer.

I bought a 14" Acer laptop a couple of months ago. It has Intel Dual Core 1.7GHz, 2 GB of RAM, 120GB HDD and an Atheros wireless chipset. It is the perfect laptop for Linux.

I run Ubuntu 8.10 on it and it is fast. The Atheros chipset allows me to run the native madwifi drivers and you know what that means: WEP cracking, KARMA, etc...

It was just under $500 at tigerdirect.com. If you want to read further about why I chose this laptop, read this:

http://dimitar.me/?p=142

Good luck !

i have recently heard some things about macbooks being able to run everything. i am still extremely nervous and confused. extreme assistance is needed please.

cheers,

IC3

I told you in IRC http://reviews.cnet.com/best-laptops/. All you'll get from a forum or IRC is a bunch of anecdotal proof from everyone why their choice is the best. If you don't like those five that cnet picked, they have an ultraportable category, desktop replacement category, etc etc etc. You've gotten a good dozen suggestions from everyone in IRC and a few people here, if that's not enough, I'm not sure what is.

It is a big decision, but you're putting way too much into this.

Here's my anecdote...:

I still stand by my MacBook suggestion. It's fast, secure and has plenty of DDR3 memory, but then again, so do many many many other suitable notebooks out there. You said you don't game, so there isn't a reason to get a beefy gaming machine (not that a laptop would be a good choice then either). You say you "like to program" but haven't given any languages you know, so as long as it's not VB or Xcode, almost any computer would work just fine. You didn't say if you were in school, college, looking for a work computer or anything. Moreover, you haven't really supplied us (either on the forum or IRC) on what you really plan to do with it at all, so it's difficult to make a suggestion.

The MacBook will probably last longer than a generic Windows notebook without any thought put into it. Since most people don't take meticulous care of their computers, Windows machines tend to degrade faster and worse than Macs. Since it's a laptop, hardware upgrades are few and far between for notebooks....., so that argument which is usually reserved for Windows/Linux people is somewhat moot. Macs are renowned for staying current and in perfect working condition for at least five years without any upgrades. Meaning, a Mac you buy today will stay very usable in the current tech world for five years and you'll be able to use most of the software and hardware out there.

And yes, a Mac will be able to run everything (Windows/Mac/Linux) the easiest and legally-ist. (Hackintoshes are illegal). Yes they are more expensive. You're getting quality hardware, a stable operating system and the value of a notebook that will last a very long time with minimal effort. As long as you're not an "open computing" person, there aren't any negative reasons to own a Mac.

Those are my reasons why a MacBook would be a good choice,... but someone else will probably come along and tear me apart on why a Windows/Linux notebook would be a better choice, whatever.

In the end, just don't get a $300-$500 Wal*Mart notebook, I think we can all agree on that.

Yes, I'll agree with you ;)

Mission complete!