Help Desk Software

Havokpr

Hi.

I work in an IT Department and my primary roll is bring support to internal users. I'm looking for a GOOD Help Desk Support Software to track everything. Please best open source or freeware. That can run in windows platform. If you know of one that can run in linux send it to. Thank's for all the help you can bring to this matter.

Unfortunately help desk software is VERY VERY political. Your best bet is to spend the weekend and set up a couple and let a couple of your users try it. The reality is that not one of them will do exactly what you want, the way you want it done.

There is no "best" just like emacs and vi, windows and linux (and osx), .net and java.

I believe we generally try to avoid religions here.

If it's more of a larger-scale environment, and you want to be able to track trends and common issues, we've had good success with Remedy by BMC Software. I can't give a rough cost, because we have a very large environment, so it looks expensive.

they have a version of it that runs in the web interface, such as IE or firefox, so it would run under any OS.

Our company makes a help desk software tool you might want to check out. About 50% of our installations are Windows, though it runs just about everywhere.

I agree with WhollyMindless though. The reason there's so many help desk tools is because every company is looking for something that fits just right. It's definitely not a one size fits all situation. So trial a few and see which one fits best for your organization.

remedy isn't that bad now, but i'd still stay away from it if possible. one thing you can do is just create a web part for sharepoint if you are using that, this allows users to input a ticket, the helpdesk then works the ticket and can track everything including totals, types, etc.....

2 pieces of helpdesk software I have used and would recomend are spiceworks and liberiam helpdesk (not sure if that's how to spell it) spiceworks have a free version and a comercial version, the free one has adds. Both run in browsers.

We use Best Practical, RT.

It's fine I guess, but I don't know anything else, or how much it costs.