hacking on web as final year project-plz help

i am about to start my final year project (i am undergrad student ) on Hacking....what we have to do is to hack my friends computer....i know java,c,sql,and a bit of networking(read the books by farhouzen , tannenbum..just that)....my friend has the same ISP though, but i have no idea about the routers in between........can you please suggest me what are the things i need to study for doing the project...............all i am asking is just tell me where to start..........because it looks very confusing..........someone says write java code, someone else says use wireshark.......... :unsure: what should i do? :unsure:plz reply. :unsure:

p.s. i posted this on a thread earlier by mistake.....hope u ppl don't mind

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am about to start my final year project (i am undergrad student ) on Hacking....what we have to do is to hack my friends computer....i know java,c,sql,and a bit of networking(read the books by farhouzen , tannenbum..just that)....my friend has the same ISP though, but i have no idea about the routers in between........can you please suggest me what are the things i need to study for doing the project...............all i am asking is just tell me where to start..........because it looks very confusing..........someone says write java code, someone else says use wireshark.......... :unsure: what should i do? :unsure:plz reply. :unsure:

p.s. i posted this on a thread earlier by mistake.....hope u ppl don't mind

Steal his computer.

Lol, the excuses are getting worse.

My suggestion to you, if you are a final year undergrad starting your individual project, then do it on something that you know how to start to do, that way you'll have a good chance of actually doing it, because when you encounter problems you'll be able to ask constructive questions to which you will receive excellent answer.

I don't know what (if any) university you go to, but a "project to hack my friend" wouldn't even get you pass, let alone a half decent grade. Go back to your course lecturers and see if they have any interesting projects that they would suggest which will get you a good mark.

Step by step instructions to pwn this guys computer and get an A.

>Start

>Run

>iexplore

>ok

>enter www.fbi.gov

>Submit Crime Tip

>Enter your information

>Enter the person whose computer you wish to pwn as a suspected cyber-terrorist

>FBI owns computer for you!

Great tutorial! I wish I had this back when I was trying to hack the Gibson!!! :lol:

ok , my project is based on "ethical hacking"( at least thats what i want to do)....i was initially offered "writting pattern recognition software" or some RFID stuff..... but we wanted to do this because we wanted to learn hacking...............apart from some "wonderful"( said just because i am a humble person) suggestions i have seen posted here........can u plz give me some useful suggestions...........like what should i learn first?writting batch files? learning unix commands? cause someppl say all u need is to learn java network programming....thats all.......some say go through as much CISCO books as you can.....in the mean time i have started studying wireshark documentation...

i was reading the posts in other threads,i was very very impressed by the in-depth knowledge members have here.....that is why i came up with the question....so,if u suggest any useful things other than jokes i will appreciate it very much....thanx 4 da jokes anyway..

stringwray, thanks for the feedback sir......but i told u what i know sir( c , java, sql.....and networking fundamentals)......there is a problem,it seems that i can not do it with the thing i already know....thats why i asked you what should be my next step?.........also if my engineering mathematics comes in handy(cause i heard that maths plays a big role in hacking)

the problem is that i wanted to do this on internet.......not on LAN............even though i don't know where to start, but i understand that that increases the problem 100 folds...thats why i need you guys...

I'm going to guess that you're either 13 years old, making you too young for the made up university program of "hacking" at the made up university you never mentioned you were from, or you're just somebody we know playing a joke.

ok , my project is based on "ethical hacking"( at least thats what i want to do)....i was initially offered "writting pattern recognition software" or some RFID stuff..... but we wanted to do this because we wanted to learn hacking...............apart from some "wonderful"( said just because i am a humble person) suggestions i have seen posted here........can u plz give me some useful suggestions...........like what should i learn first?writting batch files? learning unix commands? cause someppl say all u need is to learn java network programming....thats all.......some say go through as much CISCO books as you can.....in the mean time i have started studying wireshark documentation...

i was reading the posts in other threads,i was very very impressed by the in-depth knowledge members have here.....that is why i came up with the question....so,if u suggest any useful things other than jokes i will appreciate it very much....thanx 4 da jokes anyway..

Newbie,

Hacking isnt something you can learn over night, there are so many different aspects to hacking. I still believe in Kevin Mitnick's idea the weakest link is the person aka Social Engineering. Forget all the passwords or work associated with decrypting the key to a wireless network, or setting up a fake server in a country where they immune to US laws, just demonstrate how easy it is to bypass security measures.

Maybe you can show how the latest bio-security tools are vulnerable to simple of things such as lifting a fingerprint from a glass and putting it on tape. .... I am leaving some intermediate steps out because its not wise for me to disclose that info here... Lastly lick the paper and place them over the finger scanner and presto, it unlocks!

Now thats something James Bond would do or from a future version of MI 4. I dont know but just think of things that are cool to demonstrate. You dont necessarily have to do them but you can create a hypothetical scenario based on things that have already been done.

I dont know, make it into a short film and show case everything to your prof? Maybe you should ask your prof to point you to the right direction.

However, my recommendation to you is read the books "Art of Deception" & "Art of Intrusion" . Thats the first thing you need to do.

Best of Luck !

I'm going to guess that you're either 13 years old, making you too young for the made up university program of "hacking" at the made up university you never mentioned you were from, or you're just somebody we know playing a joke.

Your probably right.

ok , my project is based on "ethical hacking"( at least thats what i want to do)....i was initially offered "writting pattern recognition software" or some RFID stuff.....

Go back and do the pattern recognition or the RFID project.

You obviously can't do this project and if you don't, your not going to graduate with a good degree, which means no job. Also the individual project can be something of a portfolio to show companies when interviewing, if your project is "i h4x0r3d my friends!!!!! l33t" then they aren't going to employ you, not even a security consultancy.

thanks for the feed backs........to those who think i am merely playing a joke(well they have reasons to do so),i tell you sir i didn't talked about my university,because i am from india and you won't recognize the name of the university sitting back in kent or australia......and also i have already got 2 jobs ( 1 in Tata Consultency Services and 1 in Infosys , i wonder if u ever heard of them,but i have to tell you anyway) as software developer.....so i need not worry about that either.......i did not want to talk about my personal details but you insisted........i see mentioning"final year project" led to diverting from the the actual question......

coder3d, thanks for the name of those books, i will definitely read those books(i have got "hacking for dummies" and started reading it also).....

to all,i never asked you to teach me how to hack .Sir, i understand that can not be taught,its pure creativity.....but i asked you for advise on starting with which books or prog. languages .....after initial step , i would have done it of my own,i needed suggestions like coder3d gave........i hope this time i made myself clear

Learning hacking is a bit like saying you want to learn to cook. Without some idea of a recipe or 2 you want to try your just going to make a mess. Coding isn't hacking though, so using java (a poor choice in this case) is irrelevant. What you need to do is focus down onto a specific area you want to study, for you this would appear to be a combination of network based attacks on remote devices, particularly in the area of using exploits to gain control over the router/firewall, and then moving on to using that access as a staging post to gain unauthorised administrative level access on the Windows client machines on that network.

This however will make a piss poor thesis paper, and be even worse for the job market as has been stated.

Maybe a more interesting idea would be to focus on potential vulnrabillities people were not aware they could be targetted with, like handing out free USB drives in from of a buisness park, each loaded with a U3 payload. Or semi-forgotten dial up modem lines. Something with some zaz at least.

I don't know about universities in other countries.

In germany a student will learn to work "scientifically" before doing his bachelor, master or whatever thesis. That includes doing reseach on specific projects and topics. That way writing a thesis isn't like "from zero to hero"...

My examiner whould have send me home with a thesis called "hacking my friends pc".

Java, SQL,.. hmm... no network protocols, layers, MVC architecture, math, softwaredevelopement, oop, network securety or stuff like that? A weird course of studies that is. Doesn't sound like computer sciences.

My advice: Go take a view courses more on related topics or change your thesis topic.

mr. devilish..............i mentioned maths earlier(engineering maths.....so, basically all the numerical analysis,statistics,graph theory etc.),besides i had papers on information theory and coding,communication systems(all those fsk,pcm etc etc),......i had 2 papers on s/w engg(lifecycles,testing,proj cost estimation etc etc).....i also mentioned in the 1st post that i know basics of networking( OSI & TCP/IP both,rudimentory but clear knowledge about the layers and respective protocols..of course known ones) ............i mentioned only networking,java,sql....cause i thought those things will be relevant in our discussion................cause in our country in enginnering courses u have pepers on chemistry,mechanical science,electonics,VLSI,electrical,circuit theory ...........everything..........

i didn't mentioned the whole cause that will make it cumbersome to read...but again, if you insist......

Now after talking with you ppl, i have started realizing how lame the whole idea is of "ethical hacking"........Like mr Vako said.........i need to focus on the specific areas..............So, as i already gave u kinda over-all idea about my knowledge in computer science..........can u suggest some specific topics on network security that i can work on and yet stands up to the industry standard (well,this wasn't in my plan,but almost everyone said about it,and i respect that u actually care for other ppl) ?

plz be sure that topic is within the reach of an undergrad,yet that will make an important thing to achieve.

plz suggest some topics like Vako did.......within 24 hours i have changed my perception about hacking.....started realizing the importance of a final year project...........so do me one more favour...plz?

First just to get this off my chest:

1. As jjhappypants would say, "what's with all the double posting?"

2. I understand you are from India and English is probably not your primary language, and for that I can deal with the misspellings here and there but this is a forum not a text message you are not limited to 300 characters so there is no need to abbreviate words like, "ppl", "plz" and "u" don't be lazy spell it out.

With that said...

It might be easier to suggest a project if we knew what your specific program of study was. ("Writing pattern recognition software" seems more like programming than information security and "RFID stuff "could be anything from programming to electrical engineering.) You don't have to give us your whole academic history but the more details about what degree you are trying to obtain will allow us to make good suggestions for your project.

Mr. loony Guitarist, i am doing my B.Tech in Information Technology,currenty in 4th year.........Sorry if you are irritated by the use of abbreviations,i will keep that in mind......i apologized already for the double posting (look at the first post of this thread)..................i see that most of you are talking about vulnerabilities,insecurities etc.......can you be a little bit more specific about fields(like honey pots etc)..........one more thing,there might be a problem in taking a project on wireless technology....please suggest me other things than that involves wireless technology

Mr. loony Guitarist, i am doing my B.Tech in Information Technology,currenty in 4th year.........Sorry if you are irritated by the use of abbreviations,i will keep that in mind......i apologized already for the double posting (look at the first post of this thread)..................i see that most of you are talking about vulnerabilities,insecurities etc.......can you be a little bit more specific about fields(like honey pots etc)..........one more thing,there might be a problem in taking a project on wireless technology....please suggest me other things than that involves wireless technology

Pick the lock on his front door and steal the computer. You win!

yes i do have got some real nice advices here , that helped me a lot...........i will have to submit the topic by thursday, and i have thought of IDS or Honeypots ( now i will look for more information on those things in internet...if i will be able to do those things etc etc)

i started with some arbitary topic which was stupid............then read your comments ( most of the times a little harsh, but very very useful) ..........so , thanks to all of you who shared their views.........

The term ethical hacking is, in my mind, complete bullshit. Its like calling yourself an ethical drug dealer. Just focus on the technology and limit your exposure to stupid things that will get you caught. If you want to get good, your going to have to break the law and do bad things I'm afraid. And if all you ethical hackers reading this and spitting apple squash at the screen in rage are honest with yourself, if only for 30 seconds, you will know this is true.