Darren speaking at Phreaknic

Darren Kitchen

Through a weird set of circumstances involving a Mubix I will be speaking at this year's Phreaknic about Hacker Media. Below is the quickie synopsis of the talk:

Darren Kitchen - Lessons Learned in Hacker Media

From e-zine to podcast the world of hacking has been filled with media of all sorts. In this talk I will speak about my experiences and lessons learned in "new media". In particular how they relate to underground culture and our social responsibility to the next generation of security enthusiasts.

So my question to you guys is, what do you think is important to cover in regards to hacker media?

I'm not sure exactly how you structured you talk but maybe the chronological progression. From BBS to Newgroups, ect. Or I may have just misunderstood what you meant. I'm guessing your talking more along the lines of forums and social news sites, slashDOT. Either way I'm interested in hearing your talk.

maybe you can find a way to plug the bbs.

but i think covering the production and publication of an iptv show would be a good idea

Hrmm, a Hacker Media talk at a hacker con..

The history of hacker communication and the rise of hacker media would be a good topic, as was suggested.

As someone that is familiar enough with the history, though, I'd definitely want to see a mention of where hackers congregate to get their news and communicate these days. Going over how we got to where we are today would be interesting to listen to, but the mention of some new sites, forums, groups, etc of interest would give me something to take away from the talk as well.

Otherwise it sounds like an interesting talk by itself to hear about some of the challenges of producing for such a niche audience. :)

A mention of the hilarity that can issue as a 'celebrity' with in the realms of making a program targeted towards people who are, if any one, going to spot your mistakes when trying to hide the URL used for the mobile phone remote control light switch.

...and how has sleeping with Rev3 helped hak5 ;)

"Now that's funny right there..."

I'd say hacker media as a whole takes on many forms and is constantly evolving but never stopping. From Usenet and BBS's like Fidonet, IRC and Open FTP Systems, to 2600 magazine, Phrack, Blacklisted 411, then evolving to IPTV and Podcasts, The Broken, Hak5, Infonomicon, to websites like Binrev, Attrition, Hysteria(Defacement archives), and the Web 2.0 boom, every Tom Dick and Harry have a blog talking about their latest security exploits and the world of hacking, podcasts, email lists and forums devoted to security and hacking communities, there really doesn't seem to be a start or end point where the media angle comes in. Whether it be paper or electronic, it all seems to still be a viable form of communication among the hacker community, with the addition of Tech Conventions and documentaries it's still growing and changing today...

How about these topics to cover:

1. Doing audio/video on the cheap with what you can scrape together without a budget.

2. Getting advertisers to let you run ads when you are a "Hacker Site".

3. Tips on building a community.

These are good topics to discuss as well.

Maybe you should sit down like you were going to interview someone, and write out the questions you would ask anotehr eprson, then answer them and you will have some topics of interest to work from.

We recorded it with our own gear as well. I'm not really comfortable with hand held microphones and since I had been wearing my own XLR based lapel the whole day interviewing we simply tied that into their board and got an aux output from their mixer.

It wasn't recorded in HD since we only have HD studio cams, not field cams. We're working on saving up for an HD field camera -- something respectable with audio inputs. Our studio cams are basically lenses with HDMI outputs.

Anyway I'll post it on my blog tomorrow.

very good talk, unfortunately because of talks going long and one speaker not showing (think that was it) Darren's talk happened right when everyone was hungry and headed to dinner, I hope Darren didn't think it was he talk that was the cause for the turn out, it was everyone knew they parties would begin in a couple hours and they had to get food in them.. but the missed a good talk..

It was alright. When I first entered the room there were only a dozen people. By the time I started talking it was 4x that. I had a lot of fun doing the talk but I forgot a bunch of anecdotal stuff -- partly because I didn't have enough in my presenter notes and party because I couldn't read the tiny font in presenter view. If I do it again I'll have to find something better than powerpoint (not like my slides were all that impressive, most were either pictures or two word slides).

One thing that's important to remember is that PhreakNIC broadcasts the talks on closed circuit TV accessible from all the rooms, so the number of people in the room isn't always reflective of the number of people watching the talk. A lot of folks will get their dinner or whatever and watch the talks from the comfort of their luxury rooms at the Days Inn by the Stadium :-p

Glad to post here finally. Long time lurker but first time poster. I had a great time talking to Darren and Shannon about my U3 incident response adaptation.

One thing that's important to remember is that PhreakNIC broadcasts the talks on closed circuit TV accessible from all the rooms, so the number of people in the room isn't always reflective of the number of people watching the talk. A lot of folks will get their dinner or whatever and watch the talks from the comfort of their luxury rooms at the Days Inn by the Stadium :-p

Glad to post here finally. Long time lurker but first time poster. I had a great time talking to Darren and Shannon about my U3 incident response adaptation.

If you are who i think you are, youre talk was out standing. Too bad you rushed it. I know a lot of people afterwards were really into your adaption of the haksaw.

wait, what? they were broadcasting the talks on the televisions in the hotel rooms? dude I really wish I knew that before. Damn! Coulda brought a box with a big HDD and a tuner card and slurped 'em all down ;)

Yea, they had the cams set to broadcast to channel 16 throughout the hotel. Unfortunately, our room had a crappy line. It was barely viewable and the audio was mostly noise. I doubt it would be very conducive for recording.

It was a cool talk, I enjoyed it. it was really cool meeting you guys, even though I was completely drunk.

Cheers,

Zraith

Darren, I missed your talk because I was eating! Grrr... The talks were running behind so I thought we had more time. Anyhow, hopefully they post yours on Youtube along with the rest. The A/V signal was crappy in my room too. Tons of static, and cranking it up to full volume was the only way to hear ANYTHING.

I gotta say, I'm a Rev3 convert so I'm new here, but you all seemed really really cool. I talked with Darren and Shannon for a minute, and even though I'm not a long-time viewer, they treated me like a real person and even took a picture with me using their camera.

IronGeek, your keylogger talk was great, but I didn't get a chance to chat with you. Next time.

Darren, I missed your talk because I was eating! Grrr... The talks were running behind so I thought we had more time. Anyhow, hopefully they post yours on Youtube along with the rest. The A/V signal was crappy in my room too. Tons of static, and cranking it up to full volume was the only way to hear ANYTHING.

I gotta say, I'm a Rev3 convert so I'm new here, but you all seemed really really cool. I talked with Darren and Shannon for a minute, and even though I'm not a long-time viewer, they treated me like a real person and even took a picture with me using their camera.

IronGeek, your keylogger talk was great, but I didn't get a chance to chat with you. Next time.

Hey, it was great talking to you too :D

I'll post pictures on my blog/facebook/myspace/flickr in a lil while... once I catch up with stuff... har har

Had a great time with everyone at phreakNIC, Sorry I missed some speakers. Darren you did a great job with your talk. Shannon had a blast singing with you on RockBand!!! :D

now that I yer laptop next year you can do some pwning ! I will be doing to Carolina con this year too plan to have rootwarz there too. May goto next years smooo

So PM me if you have the scene with the interview near rootwars ( with the girl doing obscene gestures ) Will and I really want that LOL ! ( sorry I shouted I could not see the cam in front of Darren and they kept telling me over and over again that it was there but it had just moved ! )

now that I yer laptop next year you can do some pwning ! I will be doing to Carolina con this year too plan to have rootwarz there too. May goto next years smooo

So PM me if you have the scene with the interview near rootwars ( with the girl doing obscene gestures ) Will and I really want that LOL ! ( sorry I shouted I could not see the cam in front of Darren and they kept telling me over and over again that it was there but it had just moved ! )

you weren't suppose to tell