HAK5 GDM Theme

El Di Pablo

Hey guys, I just made a HAK5 GDM login screen for Linux. I uploaded it to Gnome-look here (HAK5 GDM Theme).

Tell me what you think. Its only my second theme, so be gentle. I "borrowed" the background image from TestMAD in the Wallpaper section in the wiki.

A little tacky, but overall I like it ^_^

Wow, harsh :P

That's cool... Has anyone else tried to make one?

I've never made a GDM theme but I did take a crack at Hak5ifiying Windows:

BOOT_clean.jpg

Logon2KStyleVer1.jpg

Logon2KStyleVer12.jpg

StartMenu2KStyleVer1.jpg

Winver2KStyleVer1.jpg

I intended to theme the whole of Windows (including details like the images in the Taskbar properties window and similar) but unfortunately I lost the files and since abandoned the project. I did find the files again, but the project remained dead. If you want the files, I think Leapo has a copy of them, I no longer do.

I've never made a GDM theme but I did take a crack at Hak5ifiying Windows:

Wow! That is friggin' awesome. Good work!

It's actually quite simple, all you need is Resource Hacker and an image editing tool. The graphics for Windows banners and stuff are stored within the EXEs and DLLs that make up the bits you see, a few of them are:

Windows\System32\SHELL32.DLL << About Windows... boxes

Windows\System32\MSGINA.DLL << Logon stuff

Windows\System32\NTOSKRNL.EXE << Bootscreen

Windows\EXPLORER.EXE << Start menu graphics

Basically all you need to do is find the appropriate graphics in these files, extract them with Resource Hacker and edit/replace them with your own. Keep in mind that the image format and size MUST remain the same and that in many cases you only have 16 or 256 colours to play with, so get your dither on and optimise as appropriate.

Note: These files are very important. If you fuck them up, you might end up killing Windows. If you're going to try this then do it in a VM or on a spare machine you don't care about. Also, you can't edit these files while you're using them, so you'll need to make backups, edit the backups, then slide them in when Windows isn't looking (turn off WFP/use Safe Mode).

It's actually quite simple, all you need is Resource Hacker and an image editing tool.

Oh yeah, I've used Resource hacker to change the wording on the start button before. I never though of changing the pictures. Good idea, I'll have to revisit that.

TGTsofts ResEdit is really good for editing msstyles files as well as dll image/icon resource files.