Learning To Program

.exe

Right, I am interested in learning some programming and I have decided to try to learn a language.

I thought JavaScript was my best bet for learning the basics.

Can anybody give me some feedback on this and if its the right place to start.

Many would disagree with me but I would say Visual Basic is a good place to start. In fact, any of the Visual Studio languages. Why? Learning a language take a long time, and sometimes it's nice to see some results as quick as you possibly can. I'm not a particularly patient person when it comes to programming so to make something that functions as a real Windows program within minutes of sitting down in front of my machine is a definite bonus to me.

On the downside, it's not very portable and it's not going to do the real hardcore stuff like memory management. If you just want to get the basics of structure and syntax down though it'll do the job just nicely.

I'm learning VB .net as my first language, it's pretty simple to get the hang of and you can put together some really good apps with it (App suites such as Net tools are put together with VB).

Then if you're interested further you can move onto a more advanced language like C#/C++

I'm pretty sure you'd need a software suite such as Microsoft Visual Studio to compile your code into executables, as far as I'm aware you can only 'compile'/save to .vbs(VisualBasicScript) scripts with free software.

I don't, but if you use MSDN and sample code from the zillion sites which host various VB apps/samples you can pick it up pretty quickly. Not the best way to learn it properly, but that's how I did it. It's useful to set yourself a challenge like cloning Notepad. By doing this, you get to learn a whole bunch of stuff like menus, controls, file access, use of the clipboard, etc.

Check planet source code for samples. They have eveyrthing from VC++, VB6, C++, Javascript, PHP, Perl, etc, etc

http://www.planet-source-code.com/

I have use PSC for years to learn from examples of others work. Some of the work on there is pretty basic and often poorly coded, so look for ones that have high globe votes for better examples to work from.

Also, if you have .net installed, you can use the built in compiler(from the command line) but its much easier to learn it through their IDE so download the free VBexpress versions. I have Visual Basic 6 which I find much easier to learn and use than .NET, but it doesn't use the same syntax as all the .Net stuff so if you want a job doing programming(Which is usually in a windows environment) then learn .Net and C# as there is a high demand for people who program in those right now. Doing .NET webapps and things that can communicate with MSOffice products will get you a job in most places.

Also AJAX/Javascript, XML and Java always seem to be in high demand(When I search for jobs), but don't forget PHP and SQL/mySQL for doing website and database administration.

I want to go into pen testing but im studying a CCNA and a MCSE at the moment so I might end up in infrastructure support :(

The programming would be used to:

1. Design custom network applications but for my own personal use.

2. Give me a better understanding of whats happening at the applications level (and yes destroy some things aswell).

But thankyou very much for your suggestions as this has certainly given me a place to start :)