Hak5 University

l3db3tt3r

There are more and more so called learning repositories out there. For example: MERLOT. Teachers can freely access things that other teachers have used in their classes. That might be as simple as a half page definition of something to a university that's published open courseware (OCW) for their computers classes (like Utah State). This would be helpful for the teachers because they would need to take so much time to find materials for their classes. I imagine you'd have to get a little creative. Perhaps use a course on SQL databases to understand the core commands like SELECT and GRANT ALL, and extend it to something more practical (See Intro to SQL Course. And the biggest repository of them all, Wikipedia, has some helpful information (such as Wikipedia: Script Kiddie).

The other side of these repositories is creating reusable content. Let's say there's a class on how to thoroughly remove all traces of viruses and malware from a computer using a host of different methods. In my opinion, many people would be interested in accessing a well thought out course on that subject, even years after it had finished. Most of the information on this topic seems to have been published by AV companies, but there are others (such as nohack.net [check the funky intro]). And if there is some product that comes out of the class, it would be another kind of contribution. Maybe something like giving homework to students including making a short five minute tutorial video that goes on YouTube. Or an assignment to join a dev team or analyze a sourceforge project, or perhaps even a class project to tackle a freelance job (but who will take the pay?). You get the idea. There are many cool aspects of an online university organized at the student level that haven't even been broached yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm absolutely in love with this idea.

Anything that you guys need, anything at all, be it hosting, pimpage on the show, whatever, please just email me and I'll do whatever I can to help ensure that this gets off the ground and stays up.

Matt

P.S. Found this when searching online for open source e-learning platforms... could fit the bill http://www.claroline.net/

Anything that you guys need, anything at all, be it hosting, pimpage on the show, whatever, please just email me and I'll do whatever I can to help ensure that this gets off the ground and stays up.

Matt

P.S. Found this when searching online for open source e-learning platforms... could fit the bill http://www.claroline.net/

Thanks for the support! I will be hitting you up.

Sorry for falling off the grid for a bit, but hold tight it's about to happen again. Almost home, and then I'll have 100% time and energy to work this thing out. like.. yeah 100% lol IT'S GOING TO BE GREAT!!!

I'll probably see a professional to get some coding and design done, and truthfully, I'll probably personalize it all a whole lot. But I love you guys, so I plan on making you a huge part...

hey for coding I can hit up another geek site, I know some people who do professional as well as free lance coding. Check out http://forums.jinx.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=5 Im not advertising just saying their great. But I do love this idea as well. I have the new 07 MS office :P as well as the cd (its teacher addition) and can teach some easy stuff like that. NOTE: STAY AWAY FROM WEB CT IT SUX! hey we can use a hak5 code for go daddy to get a cheap site :P

Matt

Please cc feedback@hak5.org with whatever you guys need. I have resources as well and would love to throw them at this.

Please cc feedback@hak5.org with whatever you guys need. I have resources as well and would love to throw them at this.

I've been trying to find some discussion points on the ideas that where put into the dev5... I haven't found any searching the forum, wiki, and IRC wasn't much help. If anyone has any information can the fwd that onto me. I want to make sure I'm not missing any idea's or concerns, while I'm getting proposal idea(s) written out , well more like drawn, flow diagrams, and mind mapping.. lol Something a little more finalized for the community to look at and discuss before I move forward with (paying) getting the code/design done up.

I'd hope the Hak5 University would support both synchronous and asynchronous functionality. That way there can be "live" classes and also stuff to do and ways to talk when people aren't online at the same time.

One thing I was thinking is about research. A university is about teaching and learning, of course, but also it's about research. What kind of research projects would Hak5 university tackle? Would anyone be interested in trying to publish some work that gets done?