SEE CS106A prog methodology signup

RogueHart

[update]

due to there being another topic and someone starting another project along the same lines as this one i am pulling this topic. you guys are free to start or continue one like this yourselves but im not a part of it lol. i prefer to work alone so if im not the head of the project then im the student and i do better when i work on my own stuff alone and my lecture schedule is ahead of the projects.

giving up

-rogue

[/update]

someone said they would love to do this course if they had people to do it with. so i though hey wtf why not make a community project out of it? im watching the lectures at a good rate and doing the work so why not pass that on to my fellow hacklings.

so heres how this works. if you want to be a part of the class just post here and let me know. ill add you to the roster.

the class will start monday September 29th 2008.

we'll be doing it just like the real thing. 3 lectures a week. one on monday, wed, and fri.

youll do the assignments and get graded and get help from anyone willing to give it. i will examine and grade your assignments and keep track in a new topic. pm me your assignments apon completion and i will post your grade. after the due date is passed on an assignment i will post the most basic possible solution and will post the source of everyone who completed it.

you are free to watch lectures and do assignments ahead of time but i wont accept them until they are assigned. otherwise it just gets confusing for me especially im watching these things at about 3.5x the rate you will be. both because im sticking to my original program for myself. but also because i will be grading your assignments and making my own. so the farther ahead i am the better.

ill also be posting the occasional assignment i come up with myself. only simple stuff though. if you guys want to learn java this is a good time to do it.

to get started goto http://see.stanford.edu and get the course material for the course "Programming Methodology."

the required book "Karel the robot learns java" can be found here : http://roguehart.zxq.net

the other required book youll have to get your hands on some other way if you choose to us it. i havent needed it so far and any java tutorial or free book should be fine.

post here that your willing to take part and ill add you to the class roster.

Alright Teacher! (sarcasm)

Jumping in head first I see. Good and Bad. I like the enthusiasm.

My concerns:

1) I'm not sure if this is the right format in which to conduct a learning experience. I see you have already jumped right into the standard model for teaching. And you have placed yourself as not the teacher (the course work and information have been provided), but the student aid who corrects and grades papers. BOO! I say, It's not a model I see working. Say for instance that you get burnt out Or... What happens when you don't understand the materials? What happens when you can't communicate help in a means that someone else can understand?

2) Grades are stupid in this instance. It's not about grades, its about understanding the materials, and building your knowledge base.

3) I would propose a method in which strengthens a Team or Peer review. The idea is to be a member AND a leader. To be the student AND the teacher.

4) You are going to need more tools at our disposal. Somewhere for discussion. Somewhere to post your work for review. Somewhere to get feedback on that work. A way to keep accountability, that is self motivating. And to tie it all together into something that is easy and useful. I'm sure there are thousands of project collaboration tools available at our disposal, that can be easily tweaked and modified.

Anyway. I'm down. I'm not sure I can keep your class pace at the moment. but I can try. I might have to play catch up from time to time...

Alright Teacher! (sarcasm)

Jumping in head first I see. Good and Bad. I like the enthusiasm.

My concerns:

1) I'm not sure if this is the right format in which to conduct a learning experience. I see you have already jumped right into the standard model for teaching. And you have placed yourself as not the teacher (the course work and information have been provided), but the student aid who corrects and grades papers. BOO! I say, It's not a model I see working. Say for instance that you get burnt out Or... What happens when you don't understand the materials? What happens when you can't communicate help in a means that someone else can understand?

2) Grades are stupid in this instance. It's not about grades, its about understanding the materials, and building your knowledge base.

3) I would propose a method in which strengthens a Team or Peer review. The idea is to be a member AND a leader. To be the student AND the teacher.

4) You are going to need more tools at our disposal. Somewhere for discussion. Somewhere to post your work for review. Somewhere to get feedback on that work. A way to keep accountability, that is self motivating. And to tie it all together into something that is easy and useful. I'm sure there are thousands of project collaboration tools available at our disposal, that can be easily tweaked and modified.

Anyway. I'm down. I'm not sure I can keep your class pace at the moment. but I can try. I might have to play catch up from time to time...

1. true. but i dont have to exactly understand the material to understand what a program is supposed to do. if i run the program and it works then i check the source and see how they did it. i will post grades purely on organization and and clarity you use in your code.

2. grades are stupid in any instance in my opinion but a lot of people like them in order to keep track of their progress.

3. which is why im going to post all source submitted at the end of assignments so students can compare and help each other with it.

4. community projects forum is dead most of the time so i dont think the admins will mind if i create multiple topics. one for discussion, one for each of the assignments, and any others i need really.

i know im kinda launching headlong into this but its mainly because i dont see many people jumping at the classes themselves let alone taking the time to start a project so its more of a "what? im the one who has to do this? fine" kinda thing. although im more than happy to do it since if there is something i cant figure out or understand there will be people who do that i can get help from.

as far as the class pace its 3 lectures per week. you can watch w/e you want. its just for the sake or organization that ill assume its done on mon wed and fri. its not like grades and deadlines matter. they are just motivators and to help make it more realistic.

edit

and reread the first post since i made some changes while you were posting

i know im kinda launching headlong into this but its mainly because i dont see many people jumping at the classes themselves let alone taking the time to start a project so its more of a "what? im the one who has to do this? fine" kinda thing. although im more than happy to do it since if there is something i cant figure out or understand there will be people who do that i can get help from.

I thoroughly understand your point about "what? im the one who has to do this? fine". I completely understand. I however want to channel that mindset. Purpose, Planning and Preparation...

4. community projects forum is dead most of the time so i don't think the admins will mind if I create multiple topics. one for discussion, one for each of the assignments, and any others i need really.

I think I want to fix this problem. It is a question of "what comes first the chicken or the egg?"

How do you go about creating a community project? Do you start with the project, or the method in which you bring the community together?

I think that this is fundamental point in WHY the hak5 community projects piece never left the ground fully, and seems to be in a stagnant state. There is no platform for new projects to be bread and be launched.

This project in group learning could possibly be a perfect platform in creating the "method of community", for all hak5 projects... And creating the launchpad, so to speak.

It could also answer the question of "where to send all the n00bs" to get involved and seek answers.

I thoroughly understand your point about "what? im the one who has to do this? fine". I completely understand. I however want to channel that mindset. Purpose, Planning and Preparation...

I think I want to fix this problem. It is a question of "what comes first the chicken or the egg?"

How do you go about creating a community project? Do you start with the project, or the method in which you bring the community together?

I think that this is fundamental point in WHY the hak5 community projects piece never left the ground fully, and seems to be in a stagnant state. There is no platform for new projects to be bread and be launched.

This project in group learning could possibly be a perfect platform in creating the "method of community", for all hak5 projects... And creating the launchpad, so to speak.

It could also answer the question of "where to send all the n00bs" to get involved and seek answers.

thats kind of why i started this. i got involved in the txt game community project a long time ago and wanted more but nothing ever came up. and this could be a good project and it will last quite a long time. after this ill do the same thing with cs106b (the next class up). and maybe keep it going while im here to keep the courses going. since topics dont seem to get deleted anyone that wants to participate in the original courses can look at the other stuff and post their opinions and ask for advice

I'm down for this , have done undergrad programming modules before in pascal but that was a while ago so would love to see have methods have moved on.

asl long as you apply in the other topic lol

could a mod lock or delete this topic please? no need to have 2 lol

• 2 weeks later...
Would love to apply in the other sign up topic but afraid I can't find it.

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9948

its a seperate project. i have nothing to do with it lol. i thought that since the community was more behind that one that there was no need for my project so i have abandoned it.

• 2 months later...
[update]

due to there being another topic and someone starting another project along the same lines as this one i am pulling this topic. you guys are free to start or continue one like this yourselves but im not a part of it lol. i prefer to work alone so if im not the head of the project then im the student and i do better when i work on my own stuff alone and my lecture schedule is ahead of the projects.

giving up

-rogue

[/update]

someone said they would love to do this course if they had people to do it with. so i though hey wtf why not make a community project out of it? im watching the lectures at a good rate and doing the work so why not pass that on to my fellow hacklings.

so heres how this works. if you want to be a part of the class just post here and let me know. ill add you to the roster.

the class will start monday September 29th 2008.

we'll be doing it just like the real thing. 3 lectures a week. one on monday, wed, and fri.

youll do the assignments and get graded and get help from anyone willing to give it. i will examine and grade your assignments and keep track in a new topic. pm me your assignments apon completion and i will post your grade. after the due date is passed on an assignment i will post the most basic possible solution and will post the source of everyone who completed it.

you are free to watch lectures and do assignments ahead of time but i wont accept them until they are assigned. otherwise it just gets confusing for me especially im watching these things at about 3.5x the rate you will be. both because im sticking to my original program for myself. but also because i will be grading your assignments and making my own. so the farther ahead i am the better.

ill also be posting the occasional assignment i come up with myself. only simple stuff though. if you guys want to learn java this is a good time to do it.

to get started goto http://see.stanford.edu and get the course material for the course "Programming Methodology."

the required book "Karel the robot learns java" can be found here : http://roguehart.zxq.net

the other required book youll have to get your hands on some other way if you choose to us it. i havent needed it so far and any java tutorial or free book should be fine.

post here that your willing to take part and ill add you to the class roster.

the reader can be found in site, i didn't find it too i contacted them, its not the book, theres another book required, which isn't there, and you have to buy.

when you link your blog, link to the specific topic, or thats just spamming, and can get you banned.

P.S

get a normal domain, seriously.

2 things

1: this topic has been dead forever. it was dead an hour after it was created

2: as far as the link to the blog goes my apologies for not doing things in the desired way

ps

i didnt and still do not have the finances to afford domains and hosting.