BT3 WIFI PROLEM

ilgatofelix

Do you get an error message?

(need more info on the problem)

• 2 months later...

so...

BT3 wifi assistant doesnt work?

I want to buy and MSI Wind or and Acer Aspire One (not sure which yet)

its a bit off topic, but is the Wind better and more expensive? or is the Aspire One Acually better in some respects?

Anyway, on my current Dell Inspiron E1505 I cannot get wifi to work on any linux client i try (i'm not asking for help with that)

But as a result I have never had a chance to see BT3 actually connect to an AP once I have cracked it using BT's tools.

You have to use XP or a different type of linux for surfing?

BT works with a lot of USB cards so, best bet, buy a compatible card for BT, then use window swith your normal wireless card. I have a Linksys WUSB54GC and it works pretty decent with BT. Range is not that great, but it can crack WEP and WPA just fine with BT3.

(Make sure it isnt the WUSB54GSC!! as there are no drivers for it yet. The speed booster one is a broadcom chipset ths is not compatible. I have both and use one for Linux, the other for Windows)

• 2 weeks later...

if you have the money, id suggest buying a dongle, heres a list of cards and dongles that work right out of the box, and those who will work with special configuration. I have a Hawking HWUG1 with a high grade antenna attachment

It uses the rt73 driver and a ralink chipset.. injection and monitor mode work fine

compatible card and dongle list

http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/in...hp/HCL:Wireless

I dont want a dongle!

more to remember to carry around, and it sticks out and everything.

I can find a fair few broadcom cards on ebay, but no atheros chips from the ones mentioned. Anyone know any online stores what I could buy from directly? (living in Australia but dont mind importing if they allow it)

OH LOL Meryl Silverburgh uses a macbook pro!

sorry, kind of irrelevant.

LOL! I would definitely NOT mind a dongle whatsoever as long as it works!! + with monitor mode + packet injection....

if you have the money, id suggest buying a dongle, heres a list of cards and dongles that work right out of the box, and those who will work with special configuration. I have a Hawking HWUG1 with a high grade antenna attachment

It uses the rt73 driver and a ralink chipset.. injection and monitor mode work fine

compatible card and dongle list

http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/in...hp/HCL:Wireless

fate: your wifi card works out of the box with BT3 right?

I haven't ever seen "Hawking" devices in stores before... Where can I go and pick one up(USA) without having to order it off the internet? How can I be sure its the right one?

does it say "HWUG1" on the box or just "Wireless-G USB Adapter with Removable Antenna"

I can get backtrack 3 working for me I just need a compatible adapter so if you say it works well I'll take your word for it and the BT3 site :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, im a n00b with linux ...lool

i have a dell inspiron 1501. with a wireless dell 1390 .......am running back track 3(usb version) from a 4gb usb drive that i partitioned and added a persistent home directory for it. i have wireless internet it works on windows. and hasnt worked on back track 3 or any linuc distro i tried on this f'ing machine...

i checked and read up it has a broadcomm chip on the wireless card....i can do monitor mode on backtrack 3 with

airodump it detects the AP and other machines connected to it...i can see their mac addresses. and it detects packets.

but i couldnt connect the internet..i tried wirelless assitant , i entered the WPA key and it does not connect.

i been messing arounfd with it for a a few days...i tried a few things...

i think i install the linux build essentials and headers. i downloaded new version of ndis wrapper and unzipped it and installed it. i black listed bcm43xx, rebooted and did ndiswrapper to the bcmlw6.inf....it was worse...it didnt work

so i then deleted my changes from the usb drive(persistent home) and it was back to how it was the beginning and i bought HAWKING HWUG1 usb dongle wireless adapter. i connected it and started up back track 3 i did

ifconfig rausb0 up

and tried and nothing...then i saw the light on the HWUG! blinking so i went to wireless assitant and i selected rausb0 again and it detected my AP. butl the light on the HWUG stoped blinking and then i cant connect when i push refresh on wireless assitant it doesnt detect my AP anymore. and then the light started again for a sec and i tried to connect, entered my WPA and it said something like 'wireless card device is manualy turned off' or something like that. i tested my HWUG1 on my desktop pc runing windows xp..the HWUG! worked fine on that one to connect to my wireless network...

so then i tried blacklist bcm43xx again with my HWUG1 connected on my laptop with backtrack 3...and its worse...

anyone know how i can get it to work.? please

also the COmpiz fusion doesnt work on this lapto cause of my ATI driver i think.....i havent figured how to configure a drivef patch yet....but i would love to use compiz on it cause it looks so kool........i bought a new desktop with no operating system its on the way and it has an nVidia Geforce 7050 video card i hear these are great with compuz fusion.

EDIT: I JUST DOWNLOADED BACK TRACK 4 BETA AND IT CONNECTS TO INTERNET ON MY LAPTOP LIKE A CHARM..I JUST DO:

/etc/init.d/networking start

then i have to press ctrl+c cause its tries to start with eth0 (10/100 ethernet card)..then just do:

/etc/init.d/networking start

again and bam this time it sais ok...then i do:

/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

and then

ifconfig wlan0 up

after this network manager works and i can connect :))

this is the only distro ive gotten to connect wireless and i tried a shit load of them lo0l!