Internet Explorer..

Mr Andrewson

Ok, I do use Firefox but most applications use IE for showing stuff, for example, Steam, also I recently bought Sony Vegas 8.0, but I cannot open it to activate, it uses IE to activate and It seems the page it displays is flash/javascript.

Now, Internet Explorer, for some reason, won't show pages with javascript, and I cannot install flash, when I go to the install page for flash in IE, no activex bar pops up, and the box to click install doesnt pop up either. I have reset all my internet explorer settings to default, if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it :)

I am using IE6 atm, I was using IE7 when the problem occured, and I did a repair install (installing it again from my windows disc).

An example of a site I cannot enter using IE is:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

It just displays a white page.

Did you do what Steve Gibson told you to do and set the 'Internet Zone' 'security level' to 'High' without understanding what he was saying?

Zones in IE are much like using NoScript, except way less convinient.

Try a VM of XP with IE to just get it activated, then go back to business as usual. Sounds like your installation of IE is fucked, but maybe even more than just IE that is the problem. Can you uninstall IE7 and go back to 6? (If you installed SP3 with IE7 already installed, you can't downgrade back to IE6)

Try adding microsoft.com to the trusted zones as well as adobe.com and macromedia.com, this might allow you to reach both windows update and install flash.

What else are you running? Firewall, Anti-virus, Spyware software, etc.

Alternatively, you could try Opera with the Mask as Internet Explorer option for the Sony Vegas activation page, but you would have to open that page in Opera. Firefox should be able to do this as well and spoof the User Agent, so I don't see why you can't do it unless it requires some sort of Active-X control from Sony.

One other question, is your Sony Vegas a legit copy, or pirated/torrent copy? Have to ask, because if not, your probably fucked.

Which VM do you suggest?

I am also using windows firewall and avast, but they aren't the problem.

Well, I use Vmware for my vm's. Do you understand what a VM is? It allows you to install another OS (Virtually) within your currently running system, so it could be any OS running inside of Windows like you would open any other application on your pc.

The more I think about it, you probably can't use a VM to activate it, since it probably needs the program running to activate it, whch would mean you would have to install it in the VM as well. Alternatively, there is probably a way to do an offline activation, so maybe do a google for that.

More importantly though, is get your windows isntallation fixed. If you can't reach the windows update, sounds like you have something blocking you from being able to update your pc, like malware.

I got it activated, I bought the software, activated it illegally, the only way.

I shall run some malware/virus and spyware scans tomorrow, I will probably pick something up.

Thanks for the help guys, I see I am still the famous "winners don't do warez" thread title holder :P

Just kidding, thanks :lol:

It's supposed to be :P

Anyway, I have fixed my IE by this:

I had several symptoms: blank page on windows update, couldn't start system restore, web pages weren't displaying properly (some were ok), many applications weren't working right - all after my McAfee Enterprise uninstall hung & I had to shut down. After the reboot, it appeared that the virus app was gone, but then nothing worked.

Turns out a bunch of stuff was unregistered. Here's what worked for me:

regsvr32 jscript

regsvr32 vbscript

regsvr32 /i mshtml

I spent the better part of a day trying to figure this out, so I hope someone else finds it helpful. Thanks!

It worked :D

It's supposed to be :P

Anyway, I have fixed my IE by this:

It worked :D

Hmm, out of curiosity, how did all that get turned off?