XP SP2/3

digip

So, lets say your machine died, and you still have a copy of XP Pro (or whatever version you have) prior to any service packs. I have a SP2 cd and now the SP3 one as well, but as I remember with SP2, you didn't need SP1 installed in order to install SP2, but I could be wrong.

Just went to try and install XP SP3 (From their ISO Downlaod) and noticed something interesting. It is supposed to be a culmination of all service packs and patches up to SP3, but if you try to install it on a machine that is just XP (with no service packs) it tells you it can not install unless you have SP1 installed. Kind of defeats the purpose of downloading a service pack that supercedes all other service packs, if you still need to have the others installed first.

I wanted to install SP3 from the Windows Update, but it wasnt listed on their site. Only SP2, then if I deny SP2, the only other options are for SP1.

Anyone recently install SP2 on their machine? I want to know if you needed to have SP1 installed first to get SP2 installed.

I've installed SP2 again a month ago but I didn't had SP1 installed.

It's still strange cause normaly you should be able to install it without installing SP1.

But there is a note on the microsoft site and that is: "Note: the following operating systems cannot be updated using SP3:

* Windows XP Professional x64

* Windows XP Embedded"

So I think you might have the Windows XP Professional x64 version and that's the issue.

I've installed SP2 again a month ago but I didn't had SP1 installed.

It's still strange cause normaly you should be able to install it without installing SP1.

But there is a note on the microsoft site and that is: "Note: the following operating systems cannot be updated using SP3:

* Windows XP Professional x64

* Windows XP Embedded"

So I think you might have the Windows XP Professional x64 version and that's the issue.

No, it's definately XP Pro x86 (No Service Packs). I installed SP1 and then it let me update to SP3, skipping the need for SP2 all together.

I have XP Pro 64-bit (SP2) on another machine, and I know that there is no SP3 for that version of XP. I don't think they will be releasing one for it either, since it isn't widely used or sold and is about to reach the end of it's life cycle. I got a copy for $100 off newegg when I was updating my quad core to 4gig of ram.

The x86 version is still going to be around for along time, especially with their new service agreements to allow it for low end computers, like the Eee PC and OLPC machines, etc. and downgrades from Vista.

1) SP3 disc is under 600 meg.

2) So as long as you have SP1 installed, then you can install SP3, BUT I recall not having any service packs installed when I updated to SP2.

So to get back on topic, THIS IS THE QUESTION I AM ASKING, HAS ANYONE RECENTLY INSTALLED SP2 ON A MACHINE THAT HAS NO SERVICE PACKS INSTALLED? AND IF SO, DID IT ASK YOU TO INSTALL SP1 FIRST BEFORE IT COULD INSTALL SP2?

I am not asking how to install SP3, I have already done that, I am not looking to slipstream it, etc., etc...

I installed SP2 without SP1

This is all I really needed to know, as SP3 required me to have SP1 installed first before being able to update to SP3. SP2 never asked me that before, and I just wanted to confirm this with someone who has done one recently because it seems counter productive to try and update to SP3 if you are required to have SP1 first. They don't make a SP1 stand alone cd as far as I know, so if I had a bunch of machines to update to SP3, they all would need to be able to connect to the microsoft update first to get SP1, OR I would need the stand alone SP2 disc, then the SP3 disc. I just don't understand why Microsoft didn't include all the updates in one disc/download.