quick image q

shadow1100mfp

im getting yet another couple pcs from a friend this weekend, and each have different harddrive sizes (i think they are 15, 60 and 80 gb) and all are different m/bs, memory amounts (but all can run xp) etc. if i installed XPPro and all the software i wanted on one, imaged it to a dvd, would i be able to put that image on the other 2? the computers aren't exactly new, so itll take a long time to do it all seperatly...  but i'd like to get them in good working condition, because a couple of my other friends are looking for a new computer and they would buy one from me (and id be able to make a few bucks to buy a 30inch monitor :)

If you copy XP from one computer to another with significantly different hardware (mainly the motherboard chipset) you will get that "file missing" error you got before.

hmm. i guess ill clean out a portion of my garage and setup the three computers plus my spare pc (for looking things up when i get stuck) and just start it all at the same time and start another project while i wait for those to finish...

If you have enough space/cables in your one pc, you can do parralell installs on the other hard drives from one machine and then move them to the othe pcs when done, but do not update all the drivers. Leave everything at a base, like basic vga, etc. Then update the drivers on the others pcs after installing the hard drive to the other machines.

Just happened to come across this today. Maybe it will help: http://lifehacker.com/software/feature/hot...-xml-326086.php

thanks ill check it out tomorrow, i started my not so kosher software an hour ago and its getting good d/l rates (meaning its eating up most of my internet connection at the same time) so i dont want to interrupt it now.

just to edit my question: i didnt mean that i wanted to make an exact image of the harddrive with all the settings etc. i meant i wanted a disk that included the o/s install, the programs, and general settings (such as installation files of wireless adapters, monitors, printers, spare storage hard drive sound card video card and dvd burner... all of which will be the same model number and everything.) this way id only have to install new hardware, configure on one pc,and basically optimize (because we all know how optimized windows is at roll out) and "image" the one pc, and then pop in the disk for the others... and be able to create a copy of that disk so that i could use it as a restore disk and include it with each computer (this is only to be used on these computers for now, but i've got my connections like anyone else and i can get my hands on at least 20 more pcs, not including old pcs that the school depart. doesnt need anymore, that aren't up to date as-is but can work very well with minimal money)

Remember, if you start selling bootlegged copies of windows  (or keys you have acquired for free), your officially a wanker.

Get an OEM copy of windows, then go to driverpacks.net and finally use nLite to pre-configure the setup. If you doing this, throw on a copy of XPize as well.

You will receive money in exchange for a PC with windows installed and a recovery CD, ergo your selling windows. You need to give every PC a COA if you want to include windows on the machine, even more so if you want to make a recovery CD. If you were just giving them away to friends or family, I would say fuck it, but your planning on making cash from this.

no, i am giving the os and cd away for free, the only thing im making money on is the parts i put in the computer plus whatever they want to give me (usually when my friends buy things from me they give me like a 1/3 premium on at-cost price), and they'll all get a copy of a recite so they'll know i didnt pay for windows or recovery disk

but if i were to sell them to friends and make them pay 50 or 100 bucks for it then yes id say i was an ass.. now people im not fond of on the other hand... :-Dhaha

If I was selling old computers, I would just buy them by the 3 pack, bump the price up and list them as a seperate item on the receipt along which included a setup fee as well. If your not doing that many, you won't make much money, but you could charge extra for a more personalized service. You will be doing free tech support for them for the rest of your life...